Which colour?

• Keep it original, Blue-Black 199

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Obsidian black metallic

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Black (non metallic)

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLP 92

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
I'm planning a full bare metal paintjob on the SEC. Its currently being stripped down, but i'm debating whether i should colour it the same shade of black. My options are:

Blue black 199
Obsidian black 197
Black (non-metallic) 040

I don't really want to choose a non MB colour and i want to keep to that kind of shade. Any thoughts? I'm currently thinking obsidian black, similar to black but a hint of grey and its metallic, but not sure what it will look like.

The car will be stripped all the way down so inside of the doors/boots etc is not a problem. All the windows, front/rear screens are coming out so a top job will be done.

I've included a picture of a flat black car as well. Couldn't find an obsidian black SEC as there isn't one (yet!), but it will look similar to the black one.

My car as it is in blue-black:
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19738

133783712729116200642855PM.JPG

Flat black 040:

1f_1_b.JPG

Obsidian black 197 (i've borrowed a fello member's pic)

side.jpg

Last edited:
I think it really is too hard to tell just by looking at the pictures so I will say keep it original.

Thmsshaun said:
I think it really is too hard to tell just by looking at the pictures so I will say keep it original.

I know hence my dilema. My local bodyshop say paint it obsidian black as it will look more menacing, but i'm not sure.

I agree about the darker black making the car look menacing and out of the two I think flat black usually works best, but unless you are doing the engine bay as well keep the colour original

It's either obsidian or blue-black for me. Obsidian because I think it's possibly the most suited colour out of that lot (and one of my favourite MB colours), Blue-Black because it's the original colour for the car, and will be the easiest option (even though all the shuts etc are being painted), plus it's a damn nice colour too (although I would say that) ;)

Good luck :)

Will

Attachments

• C230K side.JPG
    C230K side.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 370
Some would say forget black and have silver!

JOKE!

For me its gotta be 199 Blue-Black :)

Will - now that's a photo! v. nice.

I have diamond black. Which from a distance looks black. Close up under flourescents looks blacky blue. Mrs B has obsidian. From a distance they look the same - ie great and black...

Just choose one of the blacks....

Obsidian black for me matey, either way im sure it will turn out a treat ;)

You say a FULL bare metal respray, that is some task, engine bay, the inside of door panels, then of course the oven bake? If this is what is actually being done then go for the colour you like. I cannot even begin to estimate the costs of this type of work, but you will never recoup that money when selling the vehicle, so go for what you really want.

I look forward to hearing how the work progresses and of course PICTURES :)

Good luck,
John

Yeah I agree with the rest - Obsidian Black is the way to go in my opinion. I'd definately go for a metalic colour rather than a flat black.

Obsidian black (Metalic finish) out of the three choices that you have given but it will be hard to keep clean (that applies to all dark colours anyway)... A MB paint finish with black/grey metalic would look nice and I hvae seen a couple around on a R129...

kjgood said:
Some would say forget black and have silver!
Here is a person who has led a sheltered life. See siggy and avitar :) :D

blassberg said:
I have diamond black. Which from a distance looks black. Close up under flourescents looks blacky blue. Mrs B has obsidian. From a distance they look the same - ie great and black...

Just choose one of the blacks....
Never heard of "diamond black", you got a paint code for that please? :)

Saphire Black s09

Being a traditionalist I have to say Blue Black 199 to keep originality. :) Always think its good to keep to the colour offered at the time of manufacture, particularly if the colour is a good one. Blue black has a sporting pedigree with the 190 2.3/2.5 Cosworths often being painted the same colour. If you really want to name drop in the pub go for s09 Saphire black which was a colour option on the great e500 w124 cars. :cool: see www.ride-or-die.com for some pics.

Last edited:
I voted Jet Black (non-metallic). My SL is Obsidian black - looks nice from 10 feet but suffers horribly from stonechips and appears too metallic on close inspection.

grober said:
Being a traditionalist I have to say Blue Black 199 to keep originality. :) Always think its good to keep to the colour offered at the time of manufacture, particularly if the colour is a good one. Blue black has a sporting pedigree with the 190 2.3/2.5 Cosworths often being painted the same colour. If you really want to name drop in the pub go for s09 Saphire black which was a colour option on the great e500 w124 cars. :cool: see www.ride-or-die.com for some pics.

What colour code is sapphire black? It looks very similar to blue black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom