Which SLR digital camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Quite interested in buying a digital SLR. Canon seem to be default - but what about the likes of Sony and Samsung? Interested in macro photography too.

..I have Nikons and the quality is better than Canon but both cameras give you good results. The lens is what's important for quality pictures!

Nikon and Canon are probably the top two brands in DSLR cameras. It's all a matter of choice. My advice would be go to somewhere like Jessops and handle a number of cameras, see what the feel like in your hands. Once you have decided, search the Internet for the best deals.

I have a Canon 450D with both kit lenses and for the money, I don't think it can be beaten. You will get different opinions with brands, it's like cars......Mercedes V BMW.

Lots of threads on this - use search and all will be revealed.

..I have Nikons and the quality is better than Canon but both cameras give you good results. The lens is what's important for quality pictures!

The bodies are debatable. However, Canon lenses win hands down, just take a look at the "L" series.

I think the Canon v Nikon thread is very subjective..... Best thing is to go into a good camera shop and use the various cameras etc.. what feels good for one person may not for another. I went in to get A CANON and came out with my second choice a NIKON D90 :D

Try calumet.... Their store is massive, at least in terms of cameras and equipment. They have some really good deals too.
+1for killwilly. I love Canon they cannot be beaten. But Nikon do offer better value for money.

As others have mentioned, the two "big guys" in the game are Cannon and Nikon. That said, unless you are looking at the professional end of the spectrum (e.g. a Canon MkIII) I frankly wouldn't go for either of the two.

If you're looking at entry or mid range SLRs, I would start by looking at any kit you already have. Do you have any lenses from the analog days? Which mount do these have?

If not, I'm still a Pentax fan for entry level and mid-range SLRs. They are extremely undervalued, and they lost out on the market as they never really moved into the professional SLR range. That said, if you're looking at a £300-£800 SLR, Pentax wins hands down (imo).

M.

Nikon and Canon are probably the top two brands in DSLR cameras. It's all a matter of choice. My advice would be go to somewhere like Jessops and handle a number of cameras, see what the feel like in your hands. Once you have decided, search the Internet for the best deals.

And whilst you are at it, have a heart for the guys and girls that work in these shops, who may depend on commission for a better wage. Imagine yourself subjected every day to people wasting your time for nothing, and you will quickly realise that the day of someone leaving a shop with both makes up their backside is not too far away (probably with the compliments of a friend of mine)!

Try and haggle for a better deal, and you may be glad that you can go back when you need one to one help with your new purchase.

May I suggest that you save time by following others' advice and choosing between Canon and Nikon, btw?

Last edited:
And whilst you are at it, have a heart for the guys and girls that work in these shops, who may depend on commission for a better wage. Imagine yourself subjected every day to people wasting your time for nothing, and you will quickly realise that the day of someone leaving a shop with both makes up their backside is not too far away (probably with the compliments of a friend of mine)!

Try and haggle for a better deal, and you may be glad that you can go back when you need one to one help with your new purchase.

May I suggest that you save time by following others' advice and choosing between Canon and Nikon, btw?

I never said that a shop on the high street wouldn't offer the best deal. All I said was use the Internet for comparison. In fact, Jessops are offering some great deals on camera equipment at the moment, especially on cameras that have been superseded by later models. :)

I love Canon they cannot be beaten. But Nikon do offer better value for money.

Well 'cannot be beaten' depends on the battlefield.

But. Three examples:

1. Sony 70-400G
2. Sony (nee Minolta) 500mm AF Reflex
3. Sony (nee Minolta) 135mm STF

So a Sony (or Minolta) user might claim that Sony can't be beaten because the first of these is really at the top of the game at the moment and the other two are unique.

However if they do make the claim the simplest smackdown is the lack of tilt/shift lenses.;)

Now try and buy a camera going into a shop like Jessops with no specific agenda looking for advice. Chances are that if the assistant does know anything about cameras then it will only be about Canon or Nikon. He /she won't have a clue about the three lenses listed above.:doh:

I think if somebody is setting out on a journey with a clean sheet of paper then the question to ask is what they're likely to spend on lenses over the next few years and specifically if they have any special requirements.

I don't think in the low to middle part of the market there is much to objectively differentiate any of the DSLR brands.

Things get more interesting as you go up market or need (aspire) to specific kit.

No disrespect to this great forum, but I think the best place to seek advice on this subject would be to visit one or two of the dedicated photography forums.

Since I purchased my DSLR last December I have become a regular visitor to several photography forums and have learned a lot.

No disrespect to this great forum, but I think the best place to seek advice on this subject would be to visit one or two of the dedicated photography forums.

Since I purchased my DSLR last December I have become a regular visitor to several photography forums and have learned a lot.

Which do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom