which snow chains top buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shorif2000

Car
w220 s500L
I am driving to andorra in france and i need to buy snow chains. im looking for the cheapest set so if i don't use them i can come back and refund it. my tire size is 245/45y/18. it is for my s500

do i put them on rear wheels?

the arch looks very close to the wheel is there specific type i need to get?

i have seen the following

DeltiGrip Deltigrip eco - Quality Snow Chain for your car - mytyres.co.uk

in amazon im not sure which i should get and would be easy to refund if it does not get used.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_11?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=snow+chains&sprefix=snow+chains,aps,194&crid=1LWEWJW4CI8IZ

halfords are over £60 - too pricy

Why would the cheapest be refundable ?

If you need them to work then surely quality is also a consideration?

Why would the cheapest be refundable ?

If you need them to work then surely quality is also a consideration?

I guess but what if spend so much and then dont use them and i cant refund it

I guess but what if spend so much and then dont use them and i cant refund it
I am struggling with your logic.
If you need them then you need good quality

They are a safety item, cheapest and refundable really should not be the prime criteria.

You could sell them on eBay etc after use. Or buy a used set from such sites?

Its one time use. I need it for legal requirements to have in boot.

I was looking on ebay just didnt think of it. I have no idea what is good and what is not.

Thule are a good brand.

Whatever you buy practice fitting them several times before you need to use them,

Mature!

One pair on the driven wheels, so that's the rear.

Check the handbook for tyre sizes with chains, some may not be compatible.

When are you going? Whilst it might be (is) a legal reqt, surely the most important issue is that if you need them, you will need them! Not only for Andorra, but there are roads/sections in the French Pyrenees where chains are mandatory as well and the Gendarmerie do sometimes hold spot checks.

As others have said, I would suggest you refer to your handbook to carify if there are certain types that won't fit, or might physically fit but might catch suspension or brake fittings; and trial fit before, when its light and your hands are warm, rather than a first-fit in the on the side of a wet road, in the dark during a blizzard.

A good option would be winter tyres but I'm guessing you wouldn't wish to go to that expense and, even if you did, you'd still need to have chains. 1 set, fitted to the rear (assuming it's the S500).

Lidl often have snow chains on offer at some time during the winter, they're not particularly expensive and, whilst not the best or most heavy duty, are perfectly adequate for emergency use.

I don't really understand the 'return' business, surely if you need them you buy them? Or is this the modern way of doing things, expecting the seller to refund the purchaser after having 'not used' them. Do people do the same with lifejackets etc?

As said above make sure you practice putting them on before you need to do it in anger. You don't want to be stuck at the side of the road, in a snowstorm in the dark, your hands freezing and wet, trying to work out how they fit. I drive in France, Germany and Italy in winter and I now prefer to have winter tyres (compulsory in Germany and parts of Italy in winter, but not I think in France). You still need to carry chains, but are less likely to actually need them. The other drawback with chains, apart from being difficult to fit if you aren't used to it, is that you are allowed to use them only when the road is covered in snow, so you can find yourself having fit and remove them repeatedly. At least you get lots of practice!

As also mentioned above, check that your car/tyre combination is compatible. You used to find they were cheaper in supermarkets in France, but not sure whether that's still the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom