Which Soft99 to go for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisk2010

MB Enthusiast
Car
C230 w203
No not ice cream with a flake and sprinkles. It's time for a change as i'm coming to an end with the Dodo Juice Black window and i'm looking at ordering one of the Soft99 products trouble is which one to get ?

Fusso Coat:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BCR3S3J/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

420 Mirror Finish
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035ZIABS/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

King of gloss
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0036D9QCQ/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I have never used any of them before are they a much of a much though everyone seems to rave about Fusso coat.

I was just going to pick up a megs mirror bright paste but everytime i go to get one the shelves are empty and the other more expensive option is Zymol Carbon Wax but i'm very liberal with wax and like to top it up monthly.

Thanks in advance

OK so gave up waiting and ordered the Fusso Coat ....... and a green hex logic pad, blue hex logic pad, BH Korrosol, BH Clay bar, PB Black hole Glaze and a fresh pack of Micro fibre cloths.:thumb:

Sorry, must have missed this thread.

I've been using the King of Gloss one for a while now on a couple of my cars, the light one though as the cars are light coloured.

I find it good for a synthetic wax, easy to put on but needs a good few minutes curing time before wiping it off. The smell takes a bit of getting used to, a bit paraffin like really, but apart from that it's good to use, leaving a nice deep shine. It doesn't seem to give as "warm" a finish as a conventional/natural wax but it certainly lasts a while and the beading is excellent if that's your sort of thing.

I can't help on the other products you mention, but you may want to try Tim at "Clean Your Car" for your next batch, or in fact any of the other products you mention. A lot of people on here use them and their prices are good as is their after sales service and advice.

It's ok daveenty no need to apologize i went for the fusso coat because the were just more comments on it but i'll give the king of gloss a go next time.

I did order from from Clean your car as they seemed best priced.

I wanted to come away from Dodo juice for the reason that although i seems to gives a good coat it doesn't quite have the shine (deep gloss) and also i don't know if something has gone wrong with it in the summer months but it tends to leave shadows that you can only see when the sun is beeming down on it.

I have tried changing shampoos apply in different temperatures and going from short to long curing times but the same shadows are still there giving an almost smeary appearance. I have tried to photograph it but it doesn't show.

I have prepped the paintworks in everyway you can imagine to prevent the smeary look (which i think is something only i can see) but i have a week off next week and plan to spend a couple of days on the exterior of the car and also removing all the wheels and wheel arches to give the underside a good coat of waxoyl.

Bit late to the party but you have chosen well. Fusso Coat Dark is the most durable of the Soft99 offerings and a favourite of those who prefer to protect and forget. Not sure if the claim for 12-month protection holds up but as you are a regular fettler this isn't going to matter. I would advise you NOT to use the included application pad as it is far too coarse a foam and you will apply way too much product with it. If applied thickly it is a bit of a 'mare to remove if you allow it to set. Your clearcoat will only accept a fraction of a micron of coating which means slathering it on is pointless. A damp dense foam applicator works best.

Here's a phot of my neighbour's Kia 'Sportard' to which I a gave some Dual Action love followed by a coat of Fusso Coat Dark. You can see my GLC in the reflection looking more like a CLS wagon.

Fusso_Coat-5.jpg

Thanks Toobad I'm glad i haven't chosen badly, I agree with the foam applicator some of them come with. I brought some of the BH ones i while back and they are much denser and softer than some of the free applicators. The BH ones are more like the missus make up sponge i suppose at least that what my daughter says.

I'm not sure of any wax / sealent that proclaim to last 12 months myself it just doesn't make sense to me as surely everytime the car is washed, rained on, driven, heated by the sun, covered in salt washed again with chemicals it'll will lower or remove some coating which is why i tend to apply monthly.

Following your advice I'll definitely apply thinly and maybe twice to ensure coverage but i'll see how i feel after the first time.

I'm loving that Kia what products did you use to DA ?

Thanks guys. Gav it's your thrreads that put me onto it and i was really hoovering over the Zymol for a couple of days but i do go through wax quite quickly waxing once or twice a month and if i spend more than £100 a year on wax my missus will force me to sell it and by a micra! :eek:

Though i will ask for it in my Christmas stocking. :thumb:

You wouldnt need to wax it for ages, If you use a Ph neutral wash the wax will still be present , i maintain mine with a detail spray after a wash. i haven't needed to use my Zymol for ages, 3 times a year perhaps?

Its taken me sometime through trial & Error as to how Merc Paintwork responds.. tried Autoglymn, not bad, tried Meguiars polish not bad but the Gold Paste..Oh, The Gold Paste.. Mutts nutts, tried Harleys Wax didn't make it as shiny as some.. decided on Zymol Wax/Polish & Detailer followed by a good Meguiars Gold Paste.. and job done..
And for the record.. the van gets washed, dried down, Zymoled, Zymol Detailer and Meguiars Gold Paste nearly everytime its washed AND its washed regularly..(its Black) CLK320x will verify this.. although I'm still not allowed to fall asleep on the settee after all that...:(

P.S Got a Shed full of polish now.. :(

Thanks guys. Gav it's your thrreads that put me onto it and i was really hoovering over the Zymol for a couple of days but i do go through wax quite quickly waxing once or twice a month and if i spend more than £100 a year on wax my missus will force me to sell it and by a micra! :eek:

Though i will ask for it in my Christmas stocking. :thumb:

Did you use a Dyson, a Shark or Vax or Gtech?? Just curious..

Did you use a Dyson, a Shark or Vax or Gtech?? Just curious..

I tried a dyson but had to charge it all the time :p

You wouldnt need to wax it for ages, If you use a Ph neutral wash the wax will still be present , i maintain mine with a detail spray after a wash. i haven't needed to use my Zymol for ages, 3 times a year perhaps?

I'll try that argument but i don't think it'll wash :D bad dum tshh

I do waxing the car though having five kids like you gav it's the only peace and quiet i get. When England were playing in the cup i was straight out to the car for a couple of hours, the sad thing is i can't look forward to that peace and quiet again for four years. :(

I'm loving that Kia what products did you use to DA ?
The Phantom Black 'Sportard' was 9 months old and had probably been washed about 3 times in its entire life. This turned out to be a good thing as there was actually very little paint damage. After a wash and attacking it with a clay mitt, it just needed a light finishing polish so I set about it with some Nanotech SST Super Gloss polish. The 'Black' version is primarily sold as a boat polish for darker coloured hulls but is the best finishing polish I have ever used. It is incredibly oily, can be worked forever and leaves no dust residue. A Chemical Guys Hex-Logic Quantum white pad on my DAS6 Pro Plus was all I needed for the correction. To guild the lily, I then used .50 CAL show glaze (I find it it has a much higher filler content than Poorboys Black Hole). Finally, I applied the thinnest of layers of Fusso Coat Dark (more like Fusso Coat fumes).

The Phantom Black 'Sportard' was 9 months old and had probably been washed about 3 times in its entire life. This turned out to be a good thing as there was actually very little paint damage. After a wash and attacking it with a clay mitt, it just needed a light finishing polish so I set about it with some Nanotech SST Super Gloss polish. The 'Black' version is primarily sold as a boat polish for darker coloured hulls but is the best finishing polish I have ever used. It is incredibly oily, can be worked forever and leaves no dust residue. A Chemical Guys Hex-Logic Quantum white pad on my DAS6 Pro Plus was all I needed for the correction. To guild the lily, I then used .50 CAL show glaze (I find it it has a much higher filler content than Poorboys Black Hole). Finally, I applied the thinnest of layers of Fusso Coat Dark (more like Fusso Coat fumes).

I've seen your thread on the clean your car site about Nanotech SST Super Gloss polish and curious about the boat polish. The results speak for themselves looking at your pictures so i feel i will be ordering today and hoping my missus isn't reading this thread.

Do you think it will be ok to use with a Hex logic blue or green pad or should i be thinking of adding a white to my new collection? I'm still wrapping my head around the different types and what is best to use with what.

It was the non-reducing nature of the particles in the Nanotech SST that piqued my interest. This allowed me to vary the choice of polishing pad to alter the degree of abrasion whilst the cutting power of the polish remained constant. Given that you can't put back what you've taken off, it is wise to start with the least abrasive pad and see if it is producing the desired result. If your clearcoat needs minimal correction then your blue pad will be fine. The green pad is slightly coarser and is actually the one Mercedes use for any corrective work on their production lines. Here a link to help you get a grip on Hex-Logic pad selection:

A Guide to Chemical Guys Hex-Logic Pads

Given that 99% of the gloss is actually achieved at the polishing stage you could put that blue pad to use for a final jewelling polish if you are sufficiently OCD. This is where you let the DA traverse the clearcoat using just its own weight whilst your hand supports and guides it. This allows you to achieve a crisper finish prior to adding your protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom