Which to go for: w204 c63, w212 e63, or cla45?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V987S

Car
987 Boxster S
Hi guys!

Having recently moved on from an Evo 9RS, I am looking for something a little fancier to drive on the weekends.

Brief background: Have had a manual 987 Boxster S and many STis before the 9RS. Current daily driver is an automatic BRZ.

Test drove a w204 coupe pp C63 a few years back and fell in love with the soundtrack, but wanted a manual car at the time so had to look elsewhere.

Now however the V8 soundtrack is too beguiling and the interior quality of these mercs are miles ahead of the Evo.

If I look for cars with updated head bolts m156, should I still consider a newish cla45?

Space is not a priority and I actually quite like the coupe form, but one wonders if the m156 e63 is a better built car.

Any advice is much appreciated!

CLA45 isn't a V8, so not the required soundtrack.

How about a CLS63?

CLA45 isn't a V8, so not the required soundtrack.

How about a CLS63?

CLS63 certainly sounds tempting. Are they as reliable as C63s?

Apologies for not being clear enough.
To clarify: should I still consider the cla45 when looking at c63 and e63?

I also briefly test drove a pre-facelift A45 few years back and whilst it was stonkingly quick off the line, it just felt a little bland when driving sedately.

CLS63 certainly sounds tempting. Are they as reliable as C63s?

Apologies for not being clear enough.
To clarify: should I still consider the cla45 when looking at c63 and e63?

I also briefly test drove a pre-facelift A45 few years back and whilst it was stonkingly quick off the line, it just felt a little bland when driving sedately.

Yes, mechanically almost identical to E63, but in a sexier body. To quote a certain Mr Clarkson, "simply phenomenal!"

Your budget may well decide what model you get.
What sort of outlay are you looking to spend?

Your budget may well decide what model you get.
What sort of outlay are you looking to spend?

Willing to stretch to 25k if an ideal car with the right spec comes up.

I could get a 16 plate cla45 for around that budget, but might regret not getting the v8 soundtrack.

Judging from your car history i think the C will suit you best the Cla will dissapoint and the E/Cls are way too large for my needs and handling is poor compared to the smaller and lighter C.

Test drive the C again and keep us updated, had mine from new love it.

Willing to stretch to 25k if an ideal car with the right spec comes up.

I could get a 16 plate cla45 for around that budget, but might regret not getting the v8 soundtrack.

£25k would get you into a nice 64/15 plate E63 biturbo.
That's what I'd be doing.................in fact, last year I did and its a cracking car.

I would think the C63 is closer to an Evo than anything else but if you like your performance, as the gent above recommends!

It will devastate the other two in your line up and you can change gear manually (via paddles) - it might be an auto but it's the MCT-7 which is not a slushy auto (i.e. it changes more quickly than an MB slushy).

The E63 will give you tuning options if you so wish - 700>750BHP is not unheard of from a remap I believe.

and many STis

Hope you got them sorted at the clap-clinic! :)

I would think the C63 is closer to an Evo than anything else but if you like your performance, as the gent above recommends!

It will devastate the other two in your line up and you can change gear manually (via paddles) - it might be an auto but it's the MCT-7 which is not a slushy auto (i.e. it changes more quickly than an MB slushy).

The E63 will give you tuning options if you so wish - 700>750BHP is not unheard of from a remap I believe.

Hope you got them sorted at the clap-clinic! :)
900bhp is often mentioned in connection with a certain E63 we all know. How deep are your pockets?

the E/Cls are way too large for my needs and handling is poor compared to the smaller and lighter C
You may find the W212/W218 bigger than you like, but the chassis and on-road performance of both is a country mile ahead of the W204 C63, which is not that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom