Which touch-up paint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Horror of horrors, there is a tiny chip on the bonnet of my W202 that has the first signs of rust in it :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can anyone reccomend an easy to use touch-up paint that matches Mercedes colours properly? Naturally, it is the traditional silver that adorns my car. I have seen a kind of repair (I don't know thw name) that works a bit like Letraset in that you rub down pigment from a backing film. Has anyone used this successfully?

Stratman said:
Horror of horrors, there is a tiny chip on the bonnet of my W202 that has the first signs of rust in it :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can anyone reccomend an easy to use touch-up paint that matches Mercedes colours properly? Naturally, it is the traditional silver that adorns my car. I have seen a kind of repair (I don't know thw name) that works a bit like Letraset in that you rub down pigment from a backing film. Has anyone used this successfully?

order a touch up kit from the stealership (about £7-8) they will take your VIN and then you will have an EXACT match for your car .......

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go.

I beieve that teh paint code for your car is most likely "744" - Brilliant Silver ?

Flash

sgsp02.jpg

should be a good match

although maybe not quite as shiny

:D :D :D :D :D

Go the mercedes route with the MB twin pack touch up sticks. I found these very good on diamond blue and blue black but very difficult to match on brilliant silver depending on how well the paint was mixed prior to application. They also do twin spray can packs for larger areas. Again very good on my colour coded bumpers Atlas Grey but Brilliant Silver good but no cigar I'm afraid. As far as I know MERC paint is still Glasurit if you want a pro respray.

Thanks to one and all. It looks like stealership here I come.

All depend s if and where your cars been painted before, I found the halfords touch up set wasnt actually that bad, and it matched better than the MB set I have. your choice! trial and error im afraid with silver!

Unfortuantely, silver is very difficult to mtach but shoudl be ok for stone chips etc.

When repsraying silver cars it all depends on the angle/lighting conditions that you look at the respray from. Chips Away guys hate touching up silver. But as Alps has ssaid before he knows a good bodyshop that have done good work on his car.

Flash

I use the dealer supplied touch up paints, but the stuff doesn't harden very well. Has anyone else found this? I have tried two lots (black), but both are the same. Wait as long as you like (weeks & weeks....), but as soon as you try to 'mop it in' using either a polish or fine emery, the touch up paint is so soft that it is 'gone' before you can get a finish.

Paul G

I was told that car manufacturers change the mixtures of paint every now and then, so brilliant silver in 2000 might have had a different mixture of whatever is used to make the paint then brilliant silver in 2005. Chips away match ur paint to the exact mixture your car was on its build date. Considering halfords ask for the date of your car I assume they do the same. I got them to mix me Jasper blue and it was an exact match, and their applicator pen is much better then mercedes brushes, plus you get alot of paint for £7.

So in short, I recommend halfords custom mixed paints.

Zishan

Thanks Zishan, your response has tipped the balance in favour of Halfords. It was the bit about the applicator that swung it.

I forgot to mention that the paint costs £7, then you have to pay £1.99 for the pen which you just pour the paint into. Before you use it on your car make sure you practice on some paper or something to get a feel for how much paint comes out (you probably already knew that but it doesnt hurt to hear it).

Zishan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom