Which Tyres Best

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLKKOMP

Avon or Kuhmo?

18/ 8.5 both tyres are ZR rated

Thanks

Neil

Kumho :)

My last set of tyres were Kumho and they were great! Quieter, better grip and better wear than a lot of european brands, they came second only to bridgestone in a tirerack test too, beat the likes of goodyear, pirelli and michelin! The ones to go for are "712 Ecsta Supra" :) .

Michelin Pilot sport :)

Don't waste your money on those cheep avon and khumo tyres ....

The michelins might save your life one day :D (rant over )

I would swear by Bridgestones, excellent in the wet and dry and wear very well.

Skip the budget brands, out of the two original options, Avon.

I had avon's on my last clk and they were ok, but i found the pirelli p-zero neros to be much quiter and better grip when wet. But the avons are still a good tyre for what they cost.

Shude said:
IIRC, Avons are oem bentley, so they can't be all bad :)
Yes, quite right Nick, but the road noise off them is pretty bad.

I speak from experience as my dad owns one.

I've got ZZ3 on my car at the moment, not too bad but not progressive at all - when the back end goes, it goes. No notice period given.

I'll be fitting Michelin next.

Last year, Autocar (14/10/03) did a performance tyre comparison -- Conti SportContact 2, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Goodyear Eagle F1, Toyo Proxes T1S, Bridgestone RE050, Dunlop Super Sport Race and Pirelli P Zero Rosso. The Pirelli won overall, Goodyear 2nd, Michelin 3rd, Continental 4th and Toyo 5th. Dunlop was disqualified. Best for wet handling, curved aquaplaning and wet grip was Pirelli. Pirelli was second for dry handling, and straight aquaplaning.

Has anyone heard of "Marshall" tyres?Im after 4 new tyres and have been offered this brand at £70 each fitted.They are 215x55x16

pluggers said:
Has anyone heard of "Marshall" tyres?Im after 4 new tyres and have been offered this brand at £70 each fitted.They are 215x55x16
Answered your own question haven't you? £70 a piece for a 16" tyre you have never heard of doesn't sound too hot a deal to me.

But if you don't want a sport tyre, saving £25 a corner is a reasonable choice I guess - just remember that next time it rains!

www.mytyres.net sell toyos for £55 a piece in that size, and I can vouch for them.

Ask the Nurburgring !

:D

S.

Last edited:
Here ya' go.

P&P included, delivered to your door.

S.

Attachments

• toyo.jpg
    toyo.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 166
GrahamC230K said:
Answered your own question haven't you? £70 a piece for a 16" tyre you have never heard of doesn't sound too hot a deal to me.

But if you don't want a sport tyre, saving £25 a corner is a reasonable choice I guess - just remember that next time it rains!

Those tyres were a £100 each but after staff discount worked out at £70 each,I am very dubious about them as Ive never heard of them before.

The toyo's seem to be catching my eye at the moment tho for some reason ;) cheers sym

Bought myself 4 new tyres today.Eventually stayed with the make ive got at the moment "Fulda carat" managed to get them for £63 each fitted, which I dont think is too bad.At least Im legal now, Cheers for the help guys :bannana:

I'd say the toyos are a brillient tyre for the price and i've pushed them! But they do lose a bit of grip in the wet not 2 much can still push them but can't faulter them in the dry you find you go a bit quicker in to corners near to the limit as you safely can as you have confidence in them! I'd pick these if your after a buget sports tyre!

The avons are good got these at the moment, good grip in both dry/wet but i'd say toyos are better for grip and alot cheaper but the avons lasts longer so if you don't really push your car to the limit only now and again the avons are then best pick!

But if you like to try new tyres then the yokohama parada tyre looks good probably i'l try these next as i here good things about them or maybe swap back to the toyos are really good!

But if your made of money the goodyear f1s are very good lots of grip but at double the price are they really worth it when the rest will still keep you on the road with ease at half the cost!

:devil:

Last edited:
Having just used Toyos for 20k miles, and switched to F1s - (I was a big Toyo fan !) I agree, the grip is not much different - although I have switched to wider wheels as well which has affected the feel of the car slightly . . . one big difference I have noticed though is the lack of road noise with the F1s, which was very apparent after swapping from the Toyos.

Didn't get the F1s for any particular reason - I was going to go with a real budget brand at first, in fact, but the diff between the Toyos, and the F1s was minimal in terms of price for 17" tyres - just fancied a change.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom