which tyres for w220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shorif2000

Car
w220 s500L
I want to get new rear tyres. currently i have fitted on 245/45ZR18 100Y

i want to get best comfort tyres for all weather. what is recommended size and which tyres should i get?

when i search for tyres the rear recommended ones always show me

Rear Tyre Size
265/40W18

I saw a thread mentioning

Continental Sport Premium Contact 2
Michelin Primacy MO
Falken ZE912

Last edited:
The tyres you have fitted currently are the correct size for alloys the same width front and rear.
If you have staggered alloys, ie rear wheels wider than the fronts, then the size you see elsewhere, 265x40w18 is the size used.
Keep to the size you currently have.

Tyre choice is very personal and also budget dependant. The ones usually suggested are

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3, Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Dunlop Sport RT, Continental Sport Premium Contact 6, Pirelli P Zero in the premium range

Falken ZE914, Uniroyal Rainsport 3, Nexen N8000, Kumho Ecsta HS51 in the mid range price range.

You can get a review on any tyre in your size on this site
Tyres by Brand - Tyre Reviews

If you have a 265 wide tyre on the back you have staggered wheels.
As you have 245 all round, you have the same size front and back.

I see the goodyear ones are really good with comfort. Is it worth paying extra 100 for run flats. Ive been driving for over 10years and never had issue with tyre puncture at high speed

Personally I don't like run flats. It has been over 10 years since I last had a puncture as well.

Avoid runflsats if you want a comfortable ride, they have very stiff sidewalls. If you're after comfort and decent grip and low noise, I'd recommend the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3's - it's what I have (in 17's) on my S204 and I love them.

Last edited:
I bought my original Goodyears from Tyreleader and had them fitted by the place that was refurbing my 17's, 20k miles later I had a rear NS failure in North Norfolk so had to use a local tyre fitter (Fakenham, Norfolk) to supply and fit replacement rears - about £380 for 2 x 245/40 R17's supplied and fitted same day as I phoned to ask if he could do the job, we were 150 miles from home and needed same day service! Proper service using sleeved wheel nut sockets and a torque wrench.

IF you go for quick fit or similar, watch them like a hawk particularly when they're refitting your wheels, they're known for using a windy gun instead of a torque wrench, OK until the next time you need to take a wheel off, then you need a 6ft cheater bar and 2 heavy friends to crack the wheel nuts, as long as you don't strip the locking wheel nut adapter and find yourselve VSF!!

I see tireleader have 2x run flats MO and 1 standard non MO. Would MO be more comfy

I thought MOE was run flats but its not. Should it be avoided for comfort.

I think ill get them fitted in kwick fit then. Having them delivered and then finding someone to fit is way more expensive

I also noticed the same tyre is priced differently. Like if its audi or bmw or non car approved. Will it make difference?

I ordered jag one as it seems its quieter.

Thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom