Which tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve333

MB Enthusiast
Car
Cls350cdi in palladium,C200k in tenorite,Slk320 in red.
Was warned by dealer i bought my w208 clk320 from that the car eats front tyres,with that in mind to all current past owners which makes do/did you find gave the best all round performance(mileage/grip/low noise etc)Should add the car has 18" alloys

Never heard this before ....

Only way it would eat front tyres is if the geometry is out. It's not particlarly heavy on the front end , nor is it front wheel drive ....

Can't see how it could eat front tyres. If we are talking about your car , i would get your geometry checked ( properly , not by Kwik Fit )

Try wheels-in-motion , they are sponsors on here and really know what they are doing , fairly local too.

Thanks Howard,am only going by what dealer is telling me have only owned the car a month & tyres were brand new)what sort of mileage do you average on your tyres?

Well , my 320 cabrio was written off before i could put any real miles on it , and the 430 doesn't seem too heavy on tyres , i put a set of AMG wheels and brand new tyres on it when i got it , and there is still loads of tread left.

I don't do serious miles anyway , but i have never heard of any CLK being particularly tyre hungry ( bar the 55 i guess ) ...

The rears should wear out first, long before the fronts , i would expect you would go through 2 sets of rears for one set of fronts ?.

Sorry to hear about your 320 Howard,thanks for the feedback

Yep, as Howard says it should only eat front tyres if the geometry is out.

My car (C-Class) easily does 20,000 miles plus on the fronts. Rears are worn out long before that though.

So what do the rears average on your c32?

Not worked it out, but could. I'll dig out my receipts!!

Don't worry mate,was only looking for a rough idea say 10,0000 or 15,000ish

Used to get between 15 - 18k on the fronts of our CLK500. Did have a tendancy to wear the edges though.

Don't worry mate,was only looking for a rough idea say 10,0000 or 15,000ish

Not checked specific mileages but over the last four years I've tended to consistently cover about 8,000 per annum.

Surprisingly I reckon I'm getting around 13-14,000 miles out of each set of rear tyres.

Last time I replaced the fronts very early with 6mm remaining after the same interval as the rears, so I reckon that they're probably good for 30,000 miles.

The last two times I've replaced the tyres on my C-Class, we've had to replaced the tyres on Mrs D's ML too, pretty much every two years. Doing both cars makes it an expensive business and it seems to come around too quickly.

That said looking at the above distances, I reckon that's pretty good.

Cheers guys;)

I dont think my clk eats rubber much more than my mondeo did, I suppose if you had come from a non power stearing car to powered then you may see an increased wear pattern due to the fact you can turn your wheels whilst stationary but I cant think of much else.

Seems to be everyone is raving about Falken 452 as being the tyres to get so add that to your info to keep..

I've been getting around 15k for a set of rears and 24k for fronts...and my car is quite torquey..

I've just bought Michelin Primacy for the CLK320, (so I 'll let you know how we get on) - I used the same tyres on my C240 for 8 years in total and achieved 105K miles out of three sets (with the last set still going strong) - though there were many motorway miles in that

Well , my 320 cabrio was written off before i could put any real miles on it , and the 430 doesn't seem too heavy on tyres , i put a set of AMG wheels and brand new tyres on it when i got it , and there is still loads of tread left.

I don't do serious miles anyway , but i have never heard of any CLK being particularly tyre hungry ( bar the 55 i guess ) ...

The rears should wear out first, long before the fronts , i would expect you would go through 2 sets of rears for one set of fronts ?.
Written off - yikes! Very sorry to hear this news Howard. I hope it had nothing to do with the Falken 452s as I've just purchased four (@ £305, fitted at home, courtesy of Event tyres) following your recommendations on this forum and I have to say they seem excellent. They have removed the rather disconcerting 'squirm' under acceleration at 70 mph + speeds and are comfortable & quiet. What exactly happened if it isn''t too upsetting to recall?

Last edited:
:doh:Ah! I remember seeing those pics last year - very distressing. I hadn't put two and two together - for some reason I thought you also had a W124 cabrio and that had now gone the same way.

I have to say that if that happened to the A124 at red mist would descend - mypoic granny or hopped-up teen - no difference if they totalled such a beautiful car.

I was rear ended at c. 40 mph on Hammersmith flyover some 5 years ago - the filling in a 6 car sandwich. Nasty experience and, like your own, the front end was pushed under the car in front and the bonnet folded up so that was where the obvious damage was concentrated. Wrong :( Although the rear bumper was a bit bashed/scraped the real damage was underneath: the diff casing arms had sheared off (as designed to do) and one of the chassis rails had a 3" downwards kink in it. Write off :eek:

But I purchased the salvage and it was beautifully repaired by an expert - this was the MX-5 turbo - I had too much invested in it to see her crushed. Lovely, reliable track car :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom