Which W124 is best for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SRL75

Car
W124 wannabe - currently A4 B5
Hi,

I am new here, but not new to Mercedes as have owned three 190's and a W210 TD.

It's time for me to get back into Mercedes ownership and after a bit of thought have decided the W124 is probably the best option for me right now for a variety of reasons. But which one?

I currently drive a low mileage 98 A4 B5 1.8 auto. Size wise it does what I needs as a daily driver to work with a round trip of roughly 20 miles and can double up as the family car if our SUV was not available.

It is comfy and well built but its dull to drive and feels slow.

There is no need for me to have an estate so it's the saloon/sedan or the coupe.

One of my 190's was a 2.6 and the suspension set up had been improved to sportline spec and that offered me the kind of car I wanted with long term plans for the 3.0 engine swap to give the car some extra oomph.

I am a different driver now but do feel that as a minimum I would be looking for performance on par with the 190 2.6 but I don't need a hard sports ride.

So which car engine version is usable as a daily driver and offers decent performance when needed? I do prefer the idea of a 6 pot.

Here are my thoughts but please let me know where I have made any incorrect assumptions!

I figure both the 2.0 variations will be underpowered.

The 2.2 150hp is an engine I am unfamiliar with but again its a 4 pot.

The 2.3 8v was well regarded in the 190 but still too small for the W124?

2.6 great engine but a bit weak in the bigger W124?

The 3.0 8v was always regarded as an excellent grunt engine?

I know little about the multivalve engines - is the 2.8 problematic with head issues?

I don't have a set budget - I figure up to 4k with £1k in reserve to deal with any issues or £5k total if there is a better example.

I am not looking for a 'project' but happy to maintain and find funds as and when needed.

I have two kids both under 10 but tall for their age - what is rear room like in the CE?

Thank you very much for reading I appreciate any thoughts.

SRL.

The 2.2 M111 motor is the one to go for if low cost of ownership and performance are both important. It is deceptively more powerful than the other 4cyl motors on offer, was considered next generation in its time and is very frugal and reliable (as long as the wiring harness is still good). Also has a mean raspy note on full throttle which I like.

Use Auto-RX engine oil treatment (following instructions exactly) and chevron techron fuel tank additive to restore it internally. Then, replace everything with dealer supplied or OE manufactured parts only. In other words, get her back to supplied condition and enjoy!

Thank you. I suppose 150hp (I think that is right) isn't bad. Its normally the torque that defines the driving ability.

I don't do a lot of mileage so can run a bigger engine if needed.

My initial thoughts were the M103 3.0 or the 2.8 but was curious to see what others thought.

Are there any sensitive mods available for the 2.2 - I assume it is too early an engine for a remap etc?

It seems to be a better priced option than some of the others - I assume people think like I do that as a 4 pot it might be a bit flat and ignore it?

SRL.

Didn't realize you were looking to modify your Benz. If you're looking for performance, I'd get the E500. Nothing else is worth consideration if that is what you're after.

Really depends on what you want. I would say that the 2 models that hit the sweet spot are the early 2.6 M103 and the later M111 2.2 four with the 2.6 the smoother of the two. Both are smooth motorway cruisers able to keep up the traffic. Don't buy either with the idea of extracting more power out of them for that you want the 24 V sixes.The weight difference between the 2.6 190 and w124 is approx 300lbs = the 190 2.6 with 2 teenagers in the back to give you an idea. The early cars had better solvent based paint so tend to rust less-- they all rust! The coupes and estates command firmer money than the saloons.

My first Mercedes was a 260E and if I could have, would probably still own it now. Performance was good, smooth straight 6 engine. I later owned a 300E coupe, not a patch on the 260 saloon imo.

My first Mercedes was a 260E and if I could have, would probably still own it now. Performance was good, smooth straight 6 engine. I later owned a 300E coupe, not a patch on the 260 saloon imo.

Are there any sensitive mods available for the 2.2 - I assume it is too early an engine for a remap etc?

SRL.

not sure you will find anyone who can remap a 25yr + old car for any meaningful gain

To get more power from the M111 Mercedes stuck a "kompressor" on it to yield around 190 bhp* in subsequent W202 saloons the W208 CLK coupe and R170 SLK 2 seater models but by this time the electronics had been "canbus'd" making transplants trickier
* Brabus/Kleemann? used to make a turbo charger kit for normally aspirated M111 cars but long gone:( both FORCED INDUCTION SETUPS would indicate the bottom end was capable of increased power if you could get more air into the engine

Last edited:
Didn't realize you were looking to modify your Benz. If you're looking for performance, I'd get the E500. Nothing else is worth consideration if that is what you're after.

No, sorry to give you the wrong impression just asking to see what future options may be. E500 a dream car but I don't have a dream budget!

Really depends on what you want. I would say that the 2 models that hit the sweet spot are the early 2.6 M103 and the later M111 2.2 four with the 2.6 the smoother of the two. Both are smooth motorway cruisers able to keep up the traffic. Don't buy either with the idea of extracting more power out of them for that you want the 24 V sixes.The weight difference between the 2.6 190 and w124 is approx 300lbs = the 190 2.6 with 2 teenagers in the back to give you an idea. The early cars had better solvent based paint so tend to rust less-- they all rust! The coupes and estates command firmer money than the saloons.

Thank you it puts the engine/weight ratio into perspective for me. I think a coupe would be cool but as a married man with two kids the extra doors and boot space will probably win that fight!

That is interesting. The 2.6 stuck out for me in the 190 as a lovely, lovely engine. I always planned on changing to the 3.o as in that car it was a straight and easy swap. Was your disappointment with the 300E due to the way the coupe drove or the engine? I would imagine the coupe would be less nimble and was always told that although the power increase is only around 22hp the extra torque from the 3.0 made the engine pull noticeably better?

The coupes are not that easy to get into the back- rear leg room is reduced due to a shortened wheelbase--then there's the seatbelt butlers and the frameless windows and the delaminating rear screen glass that's glued in. Still lovely cars mind.:cool:

To get more power from the M111 Mercedes stuck a "kompressor" on it to yield around 190 bhp* in subsequent W202 saloons the W208 CLK coupe and R170 SLK 2 seater models but by this time the electronics had been "canbus'd" making transplants trickier
* Brabus/Kleemann? used to make a turbo charger kit for normally aspirated M111 cars but long gone:( both FORCED INDUCTION SETUPS would indicate the bottom end was capable of increased power if you could get more air into the engine

Thank you good advice. Beyond what I would consider doing for a daily driver. It seems I underestimated the 2.2 engine it seems to have a favourable following.

The coupes are not that easy to get into the back- rear leg room is reduced due to a shortened wheelbase--then there's the seatbelt butlers and the frameless windows and the delaminating rear screen glass that's glued in. Still lovely cars mind.:cool:

Very useful information. I have to consider the kids. When they were younger our three door Golf was moved on because it seems that modern car-parks don't cater for longer doors that open wider and we got fed up of parking at the far end of the car park with the recycle bins and the three trolleys no-one wanted to collect!!

500E

Hi,

I am new here, but not new to Mercedes as have owned three 190's and a W210 TD.

It's time for me to get back into Mercedes ownership and after a bit of thought have decided the W124 is probably the best option for me right now for a variety of reasons. But which one?

I currently drive a low mileage 98 A4 B5 1.8 auto. Size wise it does what I needs as a daily driver to work with a round trip of roughly 20 miles and can double up as the family car if our SUV was not available.

It is comfy and well built but its dull to drive and feels slow.

There is no need for me to have an estate so it's the saloon/sedan or the coupe.

One of my 190's was a 2.6 and the suspension set up had been improved to sportline spec and that offered me the kind of car I wanted with long term plans for the 3.0 engine swap to give the car some extra oomph.

I am a different driver now but do feel that as a minimum I would be looking for performance on par with the 190 2.6 but I don't need a hard sports ride.

So which car engine version is usable as a daily driver and offers decent performance when needed? I do prefer the idea of a 6 pot.

Here are my thoughts but please let me know where I have made any incorrect assumptions!

I figure both the 2.0 variations will be underpowered.

The 2.2 150hp is an engine I am unfamiliar with but again its a 4 pot.

The 2.3 8v was well regarded in the 190 but still too small for the W124?

2.6 great engine but a bit weak in the bigger W124?

The 3.0 8v was always regarded as an excellent grunt engine?

I know little about the multivalve engines - is the 2.8 problematic with head issues?

I don't have a set budget - I figure up to 4k with £1k in reserve to deal with any issues or £5k total if there is a better example.

I am not looking for a 'project' but happy to maintain and find funds as and when needed.

I have two kids both under 10 but tall for their age - what is rear room like in the CE?

Thank you very much for reading I appreciate any thoughts.

SRL.

In response to the post title, surely the correct answer is “one that isn’t rusty”

Reactions: 219
My advice would be to buy on condition and history. Don't worry too much about the body style. These are old cars and most will have some issues unless you find one owned by an enthusiast. Saloons in general cost the least to buy. Our 280 estate is perfectly adequate for daily use but by no means quick compared to a modern car. Rust is the main killer - the mechanical bits can be fixed fairly easily. Check the rear subframe mounts and jacking points as a start. If going for the 6 cylinder it will probably have needed a head gasket and new wiring loom. If there is no evidence of these being done then it will almost certainly need them pretty soon. The 320 gives a bit more go and the difference in fuel consumption is minimal. Great cars. Find a good one and you will love it.

Thank you good advice. Beyond what I would consider doing for a daily driver. It seems I underestimated the 2.2 engine it seems to have a favourable following.
That 2.2 engine becomes very harsh when pressed. In the W124 it is working quite hard a fair bit. If you can run to a 6 cylinder engine then it is a much more satisfying drive. The 2.2 also suffer from engine wiring loom issues. If you want a 4 pot then I personally would chose the 230E or TE over the 220.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom