Which w202 gearbox can i use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

butler23

Car
Mercedes c230k sport w202
Evening guys, i have a c230k with a manual gearbox and it has been annoying me for months... it sticks in second gear sometimes but the gearstick will be in neutral (does it when changing from 2nd to 3rd), when it happens i give it a hard whack and it will come free and be able to carry on changing gear.

Anyway, its going to work out cheaper to replace the gearbox so my question is which gearbox can i use?
Ive found a couple but theyre from a c180 or 200, will these fit and will they be same? Ie ratios etc

Cheers!

Evening guys, i have a c230k with a manual gearbox and it has been annoying me for months... it sticks in second gear sometimes but the gearstick will be in neutral (does it when changing from 2nd to 3rd), when it happens i give it a hard whack and it will come free and be able to carry on changing gear.

Anyway, its going to work out cheaper to replace the gearbox so my question is which gearbox can i use?
Ive found a couple but theyre from a c180 or 200, will these fit and will they be same? Ie ratios etc

Cheers!

That's a gear linkage problem, not the gearbox itself. The bush kit is pence from the dealer.

Checked all linkages mate, they seem fine. Had it up on a ramp last year. Only does it now and again.

It will either be the rubber bush'es at each end of the 3 rods, or one of the arm's has slipped on the splines. Fairly common fault.

Get someone to go through the gears while you watch the rods, you'll soon see the fault.

Why would it only do it now and again though if that was the case? Had it up on my mates ramp a while ago and checked all linkages, looked fine.

C230K will need a 'stronger' box than a C180. The stock C230K box is rated for 330Nm, as the C230K should develop 280Nm. The C180 is far less than that.

I agree that you're better off fixing the problem in your current box. Thankfully you have a manual ... others have to deal with auto.

Thats what i was thinking mate, so is it gonna have to be another c230k box?? Finding 1 is easier said than done! I went to see a gearbox guy before and basically he said it would be cheaper to replace it than fix it.

Why would it only do it now and again though if that was the case? Had it up on my mates ramp a while ago and checked all linkages, looked fine.

Slop in those bush'es mean the rods don't always line up where they should, as I say it's fairly common.

I went to see a gearbox guy before and basically he said it would be cheaper to replace it than fix it.
Second & third opinion always :)
A manual takes a lot of abuse to really kill ... what's the mileage on your car?
Start as you've been told by carat 3.6. Even if that really ends up not solving your problem, you'll have not lost much.

Thats what ive been thinking after reading the replies... its only done 114k so i wouldnt quite expect the box to be dead yet. Will grab some bushes and get that done and see what happens... cheers guys!

mine will be hitting 236000km this weekend or early next week. :)
only issue I have with the trans is a noisy release bearing ... i'd guess previous owners were riding the clutch, which is hard not to do on a manual Mercedes. otherwise transmission shifts just fine with no other problems.

Yeh so i wouldnt really expect mine to be knackered yet. Will give the bushes ago and see what happens.

Make sure to re-adjust the linkage when you fit them, it's a 6 or 8mm allen key that locks the gear lever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom