Which W202?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buccal

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK55 AMG
Evening all,

My brother has decided this afternoon that he is on the hunt for a W202.

The car will be used for general running about but will be used to go back up to the north of scotland (~800 miles round trip) once a month, every month.

He's thinking about a 280 but the 250 obviously appeals consumption wise, but i would imagine this would be a bit more expensive to buy?

I had a 280 on my W210 and a 230k in my W208 and both never gave me any issues. Were the same engines used in the W202?

What are the chances of picking up something half-decent for 1.5k?

Anyway, i have been through 20 pages of the search function and any comments would be welcomed.

My natural choice would be the 230 Kompressor as I have one.

Driven the 280 and found the V6 very lazy but super smooth against the 230K, and I was dead set on getting a 280 and did not consider 230k till I took one for a test drive and bought it right there so happy that I did.

The only thing that needs be decided is petrol or diesel even before choosing a engine size.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what mpg's you'd be getting from a petrol but my C250TD always gets 40+ on a run. The auto box is very good as well.

if you go for c230 check the usual things but the big one to check is oil in the loom from the engine it can work its way up too the ecu and fry it

What are the chances of picking up something half-decent for 1.5k?
Very high, I should think. Judging by the asking prices in London, £1500 would get you something very nice indeed.

I have a 97 280 sport in silver that I'd consider selling. Very good car just doesnt get driven enough. Has 90k on the clock and main stealer history for most of it!

My C220 regularly sees 50+ on the commute, its not the most inspiring drive but its solid and dependable (now Olli has had a look at it!)

Looking through the ebay links I wondered if any credence should be given to 'two lady owners' and 'doctor' as selling points?

The two ladies probably had husbands that thrashed the living daylights out of their cars and all the doctors I know have dangerous sports tendencies, are always late and don't really care about the state of their cars.

I think the 250TD looks good though.

I have two W202's, a 2000 (W) C280 with 65k miles and a 1996 (P) C200 with 135k miles. I'm very pleased with both cars. Performance wise the C280 will eat the C200 alive, is silky smooth and refined and does, I guess, about 25 mpg with mixed town / open road motoring. The C200 is much less powerful but is more economical. Both cars will crusie on the motorway at 70 + in a relaxed and comfortable manner. I'd originally bought the C280 to replace the C200 but I couldn't bear to let the C200 go. If I had to have just one, I guess I'd go for the C280 - my mileage is low and therefore the difference in fuel consumption isn't much of an issue really. In essence, great cars.

c280 or c230k
They have different characters and you need to drive both to appreciate the difference.
Economy wise both about the same.
Any w202 diesel is likely to have done mega miles and or been clocked (strictly my opinion).
The main thing to be careful about is the rust that affects these cars. You need to learn where and how to look.
My c230k is on 163k miles and still going strong.

The C230K is a fantastic engine. The fastest non-amg w202 by a long shot, and it seems to consume the same 28mpg regardless of how its driven.

Also one of the most reliable engines in the w202 line up.

Having owned the C240 and driven the C280 my present car is the C230K and it is by far the most fun to drive and it is the only car that I have recently held on to for a while. I usually sell them on due to boredom but the 230k is really enjoyable to drive and fairly simple to mantain :)

+1 great cars

P4300028.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom