Which Wax/method? Is it still called wax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hillbillybenz

Car
Cls 320 cdi
Hello all, though I do look after my cars and keep them as clean as is practical I'm not about to start washing with three buckets before adding twelve coats of some edible tree wax. I would love to if I'm honest, I just don't have time.
I currently wash with a wash n wax, dry with drying towels that are machine washed after every use, before giving a fortnightly wax with Meguiars Tech wax. I also use this on the alloys. I then use poor boys tyre dressing and it's job done after a Hoover out.
My question is, is there a better product or one step defferent in my method to give a much better result? Or a longer lasting finish? I don't mind using a more expensive product. I just don't have much more time to commit to keeping cars clean,
Many thanks.:thumb:
Winter sucks!

Collinite 476s or Fk1000p (sealant) will both last ages and leave a very nice finish for between 3-6months. I'd say more like 3 but that will mean nice results and less need for waxing.

Its now called a" product"

That sounds more 2015... "Wax" throws up images of that chalky old Turtle wax paste that my Dad would smear over his Rover SD1 until it looked like it had been white washed! In the desperate hope that it would slow the invasion of rot in the arches:wallbash:

Thanks Lordlee and s70rmp I will look those up

I use this but not in the way that the ad. recommends.
After washing and drying the car, I give it a once over with this and then buff off. It's a great treatment for in between waxes and is a boon if you have a black car as it removes water marks and streaks a treat. You can use it on glass too but I would avoid using it on the windscreen. Another advantage is that it does not leave white marks on door seals and rubber etc.
I used to be able to apply and buff this stuff on my LWB Black Shogun in about 20 mins and the results were outstanding. I would never dare use it as a straight off washing system without water but using it in the way I describe, a small amount goes a long way and it lasts for ages.

And before you know it you have twelve different tools and a bottle of highland spring water blessed by the local vicar, just to clean the threaded bit the tow eye screws into:D:D:rolleyes:

Have been out in cold today. Have a pic of the results, looks good but this sealant sounds like what I need
10da1bb.jpg

Last edited:
I've just had a Ceramic coating put on my new car. Apart from protecting the finish it's so much easier to clean. Its called CQuartz and made by CarPro

You're braver than me today. :)

Went to buy a bottle of shampoo for it down at Halfords. Then put the car straight back in the garage as it's still freezing here. Maybe sometime in the week, or next weekend, or Summer. :D

You're braver than me today. :)

Went to buy a bottle of shampoo for it down at Halfords. Then put the car straight back in the garage as it's still freezing here. Maybe sometime in the week, or next weekend, or Summer. :D

It's been freezing here all day too, other cars on the drive are still iced up but we took the kids bowling this morning and the CLS was parked in the sun for a couple of hours. As we walked out of bowling alley, Wife said "oh look the cars thawed out.....bet you polish it now!"

Yep:bannana:

Personally I use a straight shampoo rather than wash & wax type, as I find it gives a deeper clean and nicer finish right from the wash and dry stage, then when I'm actually valeting it, rather than simply 'cleaning' it, I use Meguiars Deep Crystal polish if I'm removing it by hand, or Meguiars Mirror Shine Polish, if I intend to buff it off with the machine, then either Meguiars Stage 3 Carnauba Wax or if it's the show car, Meguiars Gold Class Wax. For top ups in between full valets, I just wash and dry, then stick some Meguiars tech wax on it. I do use products other than Meguiars, but I once ran my own valeting firm and Meguiars was the best all-round product I could find. I use Auto-Glym Glass polish, Auto-Glym plastic and leather treatment, Kleers Tyre dressing and Kleers metal polish for my shiny bits, after having first cleaned them up with some good ol' Autosol :)

Personally I use a straight shampoo rather than wash & wax type, as I find it gives a deeper clean and nicer finish right from the wash and dry stage, then when I'm actually valeting it, rather than simply 'cleaning' it, I use Meguiars Deep Crystal polish if I'm removing it by hand, or Meguiars Mirror Shine Polish, if I intend to buff it off with the machine, then either Meguiars Stage 3 Carnauba Wax or if it's the show car, Meguiars Gold Class Wax. For top ups in between full valets, I just wash and dry, then stick some Meguiars tech wax on it. I do use products other than Meguiars, but I once ran my own valeting firm and Meguiars was the best all-round product I could find. I use Auto-Glym Glass polish, Auto-Glym plastic and leather treatment, Kleers Tyre dressing and Kleers metal polish for my shiny bits, after having first cleaned them up with some good ol' Autosol :)

Nice tips! Gold class better that the tech wax then? thanks!

See the below post on Autosmart Topaz - one step, nano protection, quick easy, great shine, and much much cheaper than Megs.
I was a bit mean with the protection, the work van is still beeding after a month, and thats after 3 drive in washes.

That sounds more 2015... "Wax" throws up images of that chalky old Turtle wax paste that my Dad would smear over his Rover SD1 until it looked like it had been white washed! In the desperate hope that it would slow the invasion of rot in the arches:wallbash:

Thanks Lordlee and s70rmp I will look those up

I still have a bottle of Turtle Wax that I use occassionaly. did my car on Friday and it came up a treat. Took about 2 hourss

Nice tips! Gold class better that the tech wax then? thanks!

Gold Class is just a wax, where as Tech Wax is both a polish and a wax in one substance. Tech Wax is fine to use for protection and it brings the car up well, but using a properly separated polish and wax, will always give you a better finish.

You will laugh at this but don't dismiss it out of hand. Morrisons own brand car polish, £2 in the black bottle. It goes on very easily, it buffs up very easily and gives a very acceptable shine. Told to me by somebody in the trade.

You can pay a lot of money for magic potions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom