Which way round M25?

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve a feeling that’s the option I’ll be relying on. It’s annoying when there are obviously delays between congestion happening and traffic announcements, then similar delays between congestion clearing and further announcements, but one of those problems we have to grin and bear.
Yep and then it is 50/50 on taking the recommended detours........

I go to Gatwick often from the M1 and always go anti clock past Heathrow. All the mapping software I use recommends that way.

I don't understand the question. Waze or whatever Smartphone App you prefer will give you the quickest route, depending on the traffic flows at the time of your journey.

You can still get caught out by "events," but there's no better way of choosing the right route given the traffic flows at the precise moment that you're travelling.

That said, in general, I reckon the apps will usually recommend going via the west side of London because of tailbacks on the Bridge.....

I don't understand the question. Waze or whatever Smartphone App you prefer will give you the quickest route, depending on the traffic flows at the time of your journey.

You can still get caught out by "events," but there's no better way of choosing the right route given the traffic flows at the precise moment that you're travelling.

That said, in general, I reckon the apps will usually recommend going via the west side of London because of tailbacks on the Bridge.....
I’ve checked out Google maps a few times today and each time it recommends going via the bridge. The advantage over the west route has varied from 2 min to 13 min. I’ll see what COMAND says on the way, and hope it doesn’t change its mind as often as it’s done on a number of occasions on the way to Heathrow.

Can I still pay the same day after crossing? The last time I paid in advance, whilst passing Stansted airport on the M11 the lady who lives in COMAND told me she’d changed my route to take the westerly route because of massive queues at the bridge (turned out to be an RTC there). I couldn’t get my money back.

You can pay up until midnight the following day

FWIW, I would go West of London
Plenty of alternative routes, should there be problems

Going East, over the bridge, has no alternatives except the Blackwall tunnel or the Woolwich ferry, which, if you think about it, are no alternatives.

I’ve checked out Google maps a few times today and each time it recommends going via the bridge. The advantage over the west route has varied from 2 min to 13 min. I’ll see what COMAND says on the way, and hope it doesn’t change its mind as often as it’s done on a number of occasions on the way to Heathrow.

Excellent, but ignore Comand unless you've got a real time traffic feed. (I can't tell if you're using the Comand online subscription service) The essence of WAZE and its competitors is that it's giving you the route at the moment you drive AND updates it en route. (It takes data from mobile phone users moving around the M25)

Excellent, but ignore Comand unless you've got a real time traffic feed. (I can't tell if you're using the Comand online subscription service) The essence of WAZE and its competitors is that it's giving you the route at the moment you drive AND updates it en route. (It takes data from mobile phone users moving around the M25)
Thanks Mike. I have Comand online that provides ongoing traffic reports and amends the route accordingly, but without a subscription. I’ll be honest that I don’t know where it gets its traffic reports from but it always seems to be accurate, albeit a bit delayed.

Comand Online is so delayed its pretty useless really other than telling you what happened. Waze is realtime crowd sourced from users at the scene so tends to be far more accurate as to routing around live issues.

Wowza ....29 posts on deciding which way to travel around the M25.
Knighterrant you’ve certainly got some serious thinking to do.

If I was you I would just flick a coin because if like me which ever route you decided to take it would always be the wrong one. :dk:

Anti-clockwise past Heathrow!
Avoids the Dartford crossing - which is a total rip off (IMHO) - and was supposed to be free by now!

Its half term week!!!!
Instruct the missus to pull a sickie

Seriously!

PS bear in mind you'll duel with Heathrow holiday flights traffic (plus those nearer Gatwick) & theme park traffic
Leave mid morning

I live in north London and my sister lives in Warlingham in Surrey so if I visit her I nip up the A1 to South Mimms and use the M25. Its roughly the same distance clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Sat Nav has never sent me the Heathrow side, always the Dartford Bridge side.

it’s actually easier to get on Thameslink from Mill Hill Broadway to East Croydon though.

In normal traffic conditions from the M11 to Gatwick clockwise is the better route. I would only go around as far as the M3 going anti-clockwise before switching direction. Obviously any issues with accidents etc would influence that on the day.

As mentioned if you don't need the car then train straight through is also a good option.

Dartford crossing - which is a total rip off (IMHO) - and was supposed to be free by now!

The construction cost of the crossing and building up a suitable reserve for future maintenance etc. was met at the end of 1998. I worked for one of the investment firms that provided the private funding and the 20 year debt arrangement drawn down in 1988-1991 was repaid early in 1999. Nobody in office has ever provided a proposed explanation for the ongoing costs of use with the only benefit to me being a charge of 20p each way as I am a local resident.

Use Waze/Google Maps and let it make the decision for you :)

In normal traffic conditions from the M11 to Gatwick clockwise is the better route. I would only go around as far as the M3 going anti-clockwise before switching direction. Obviously any issues with accidents etc would influence that on the day.

As mentioned if you don't need the car then train straight through is also a good option.
I think I’ll be opting for a last minute decision with the help of Google whilst waiting for the missus to finish work. There doesn’t seem to be an optimum option as to the route.

I’ve already paid for the car park at Gatwick. Last month I took the train to Heathrow: it was ok but expensive and none too pleasant carting luggage between trains. The upside was being able to drink on the flight home without having to worry about driving straight after. That journey was on my own, this time I’ll have the family with me so the cost would be ridiculous and we’re taking a car seat with us for use in Florida. Altogether far too much to carry around when travelling by train.

The construction cost of the crossing and building up a suitable reserve for future maintenance etc. was met at the end of 1998. I worked for one of the investment firms that provided the private funding and the 20 year debt arrangement drawn down in 1988-1991 was repaid early in 1999. Nobody in office has ever provided a proposed explanation for the ongoing costs of use with the only benefit to me being a charge of 20p each way as I am a local resident.

There is a simple reason for the never ending Dartford Crossing charge.
When the cost of building the bridge was recouped, the crossing was sold to the French

They are busy making a profit, but only if they maintain the tunnels and bridge, the potential cost of which, the gov't was afraid of.

neither, come straight down through central london...
just kidding. google map it before you set off on the day...
Screenshot_20200219-184002_Maps.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom