Which wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hindesbeans

Car
E220 & SLK230
Hi All
only just:- a, become a mercedes w203 C200K owner
b, Joined MBclub

My questions for you guys out there with more knowledge than me are

1. My car is Jasper blue and has original MB 15" alloys, i really want to go 17's but cant picture any wheels that i like on the car, and dont want to spend hundreds of pounds on wheels that just dont suit the car!Any suggestions from anybody (pics as well if poss) of what works well and what doesnt?
  2. Budget really dictates aftermarket wheels unfortunately, will this cause any problems with brake caliper clearances in anybody's expierience?
  3. Lastly it was suggested to me putting lower profile & wider tyres on the back to make it look and handle better, how does this work?
any suggestions apprieciated

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

My advice is to find some OEM rims, either new from the stealership parts counter (~£150-200 each) or second-hand from ebay or the classifieds section of this forum. There are some very pretty 16 and 17" rims that will suit the w203 without breaking the bank. You can pick up a brochure from the stealership or how about browsing the gallery section of this forum for a few ideas? Lots of w203s on there! :)

I don't know the official MB name for these wheels, despite having them fitted on my W203. But here is a link to a replica wheel that looks the same as the MB wheel fitted which forms part of the Sport Pack fitted to facelifted S/W203s. Even in 17" they look bigger than they really are, possible due to the spokes extending out to the rim edges.
As for different sized wheels front and rear, this was the standard fit by MB for estate cars I believe but not essential. Remember you can't rotate wheels so easily when thy're not all the same size!

http://www.performancealloys.com/de...zes='17x7.5'&price='102'&permission=167620240

P.S.
Never used this company, so can't endorse them. Just wanted to show what I think is a wheel that suits the 203 perfectly.

Hi All
only just:- a, become a mercedes w203 C200K owner
b, Joined MBclub

My questions for you guys out there with more knowledge than me are

1. My car is Jasper blue and has original MB 15" alloys, i really want to go 17's but cant picture any wheels that i like on the car, and dont want to spend hundreds of pounds on wheels that just dont suit the car!Any suggestions from anybody (pics as well if poss) of what works well and what doesnt?
  2. Budget really dictates aftermarket wheels unfortunately, will this cause any problems with brake caliper clearances in anybody's expierience?
  3. Lastly it was suggested to me putting lower profile & wider tyres on the back to make it look and handle better, how does this work?
any suggestions apprieciated

1. If you go to the MB website I'm sure there is a wheel configirator link in there somewhere which might give you a few ideas. I particularly like the Incenio designer range ;) :D . As Shude says, pick up an alloy wheel brochure.

2. You'd be surprised how reasonabley priced OEM wheels are plus, you wont have any worries about compatibility (caliper clearences etc) either.

3. Not sure about the handling attributes but what you are refering to is colloquially known as a "staggered" set up one example being 225 fronts and 245 rears.

Welcome to the forum btw, hope you enjoy your new ride.

Cheers.

Portzy.

As for different sized wheels front and rear, this was the standard fit by MB for estate cars I believe but not essential.
Nothing to do with estate cars but everything to do with RWD. The front wheels do the steering and the rears do the driving. Wider rear wheels and tyres help put the power down, narrower front wheels and tyres need less effort to turn.

Staggered wheel sizes are an option on practically all models.

thanks guys for your help,
I particualy like the lenso s73 design (see link) but the smallest they do this wheel is 18"

http://lensowheels.co.uk/p1012043.htm

has anybody seen anything similar in a 17"
I like that the spokes are set back and will avoid alot of "delicate kerbing conversations with the wife":crazy:

I cannot post a picture cos i'm at work & photobucket is blocked but i think that the MB Avoirs would look great on mine in 17" !!

rob

Thanks ROBB, i have tried to google MB Avoirs but all i get is lots of french sites, am i missing something obvious here:confused:

What ever you decide on they must be hub centric, that means that the center on the hub and not by using the wheel bolts.

You will never balance them otherwise

I know it is an Aussie website - but it was the first one that Google came up with:

http://www.mbspares.com.au/Alloywheels/Avoirdesign5spokealloy.aspx

rob
That is the "Avior" designed for the SL.

Part number: B6 6 47 4060
Wheel size 8.5 J x 18 ET 35
Tyre size 255/40 R18

Part number: B6 6 47 4061
Tyre size 255/40 R18

Don't know why there are two part numbers, both are the same size and both sterling silver. The tyres listed would be inappropriate for the W203.

wheels

Those wheels are very sweet indeed:)
I've been looking at the normal wheels and the others, seems to be a bit of a thing to fit wheels not actually meant for the model of car etc.

Tyre size 255/40 R18

Tyre size 255/40 R18

Don't know why there are two part numbers, both are the same size and both sterling silver. The tyres listed would be inappropriate for the W203.

There is a 17" Avior for the SL, 255 x 45 x 17" and were standard around 03-04. when the 18" are used they are 285 x 35 on the rears

these are replica amg 18" (i know i said 17's but hey) Any good or steer well clear?
Heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....=370051650615&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=024
BEWARE!!
i just phoned the guy to ask about these wheels and he seems a nice guy, but when i asked if these wheels would start to flake in a year he said that they would not last as long as the originals and he would only guarentee them for 6 months...
Draw your own conclusions.

But they do look awsum

Tyre size 255/40 R18

Tyre size 255/40 R18

I'm fairly sure i have seen them on a W203 :confused: , maybe they fit with fettling etc ?? I hope so 'cos these were the ones i had in mind to replace mine with :(

doesnt it worry you that they may start to peel in around 6 months???

i saw a similar set of amg replicas on ebay which the guy bought july 07 only done 4000 miles and he is already selling saying they are flaking. okay he says minor flaking, but hey after 4000 miles i would be proper peed off.
see link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-BENZ...oryZ9888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps your dicision, it did mine

Danny

I'm fairly sure i have seen them on a W203 :confused: , maybe they fit with fettling etc ?? I hope so 'cos these were the ones i had in mind to replace mine with :(
The wheels from a 230 will fit a 203, I said the TYRES listed would be inappropriate. The 230 takes the same size tyres as the other flagship models but shares wheel dimensions with the saloons.

I too have seen those wheels on other models, including 202 and 210. Looks pretty good on a 210 actually :)

The wheels from a 230 will fit a 203, I said the TYRES listed would be inappropriate. The 230 takes the same size tyres as the other flagship models but shares wheel dimensions with the saloons.

I too have seen those wheels on other models, including 202 and 210. Looks pretty good on a 210 actually :)
:eek: :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom