Which workshop manual fo rmy W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JumboBeef

Car
W124 E220 Estate Auto
Which workshop manual for my W124

Hello,

I'm looking for a workshop manual for my 1994 W124, and I have found three:

One, two and three.

Which is best please?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've got number 1 from when i had a w124 , it's pretty good.

Have to see if i can find it ..

Hi

Haynes do one too. I have the 3rd one on the list think the Americans call it the Bible but i would refer to Haynes more often.

I thought the Haynes one stopped at 1993 (I have a 1994).

I've got a Haynes one lying around that I keep threatening to put on eBay

classified link

the truth is that no single manual does everything. I got by with the Haynes and subscribing to the Mercedes 'Discussion List' which is run by Stu Ritter who wrote the Owner's Bible and is a wealth of information and experience

andy_k said:
yep, because that is when production 'stopped' on the W124 - the coupe and estate models carried on for another couple of years though with no revisions (as far as I know)

1993 is the date of the facelift. 124's (saloons, estates and coupes) were built for around three years after 1993. The Haynes book only covers pre-facelifts, although it does (IIRC) include the 220 and 320 engine, because they were launched just before the facelift.

1993 is the date of the facelift. 124's (saloons, estates and coupes) were built for around three years after 1993. The Haynes book only covers pre-facelifts, although it does (IIRC) include the 220 and 320 engine, because they were launched just before the facelift.

Sorry imadoofus Hayne's doesn't cover the 220 twin cam 4 cylinder engine which unfortunately is the original posters car.:(
I would also caution against purchase of the quite expensive E class owner bible title which is restricted to the American models and only deals with very routine servicing. It does contain lots of useful information and background on the W124 series including the V8 models but would definitely not be my first choice as a "WORKSHOP MANUAL". If you want more detail JBeef have a look at the review on Amazon.co.uk which I wrote. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercedes-Be...UTF8&qid=1237760434&sr=8-1&tag=amazon0e9db-21

Last edited:
So that rules out Haynes, and number three above. What about number one or two..........?

So that rules out Haynes, and number three above. What about number one or two..........?

Howard's already said he has the Brookalnds one (number 1). I have one too, but personally, I think it's poor. I've never found a decent Brooklands book for any car. Having said which, I was brought up on Haynes, so it might just be the familiarity thing.

I don't think many people have experience of item 2 since it's relatively new on the market. One comment I would make is that it covers 2 models i.e. the w124 and w210-----and altho these have the same powerplants i.e. the twin cam 4 and 6 engines their ancilliary systems like injection and ignition will differ to some extent, the front suspensions are different and the transmissions will differ in detail also. So what I am saying is unless the book is twice as big as the others some things may not be covered in sufficient detail. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-E-Cl...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

You would be doing us all a big favour by buying it and giving us a review.;)
My way round it was to buy two haynes manuals the W124 one-which is pretty good up to 1993 and the the later C class one for the 4 cylinder twincam powerplants.

My way round it was to buy two haynes manuals the W124 one-which is pretty good up to 1993 and the the later C class one for the 4 cylinder twincam powerplants.

That is the way to go for the best coverge. I have both these Haynes books and the Bible (3) Haynes is the way to go. I had the C Class book from when i had the C230K though, think it covers the diesels 604/5 engines too.

I found the Haynes manual very useful for my W124's , good information on how so many parts of the car come apart . Useful for wiring diagrams and servicing info .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom