Whiney engine....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zishan03

Car
C200 Sports Coupe
the supercharger in my car is VERY whiny at low revs and especially in 4th gear. Anyone have any ideas why this might be other then its just a noisy supercharger. I showed it to merc before the warranty finished and they said it was a bit noisy but they checked it over and there was nothing wrong with it.

Thanks in advance.

Zishan

p.s.
I have a 2002 c200 komp

What do you class as low? Less than about 2100rpm and mine is not even on. At about 3000 rpm you are probably in your peak torque band so the SC is possibly working it's hardest.

Mine once made a LOT of noise when the car was crawling in a queue for hours and I finally pulled off onto the open road, I blasted across countryside for 20 minutes and the supercharger sounded amazing. I think it was heat related.

GrahamC230K said:
What do you class as low? Less than about 2100rpm and mine is not even on. At about 3000 rpm you are probably in your peak torque band so the SC is possibly working it's hardest.

I am talking about around 3000rpm so what you say is correct but it is far louder then an identical car, any leakes in pipes or anything which could be causing this?

Thanks again

Zishan

By the way, I love the way people reply so quickly on this forum.

Zishan

I have no mechanical idea - I was just thinking out loud :eek:

zishan03 said:
I am talking about around 3000rpm so what you say is correct but it is far louder then an identical car, any leakes in pipes or anything which could be causing this?

Thanks again

Zishan

I guess no one would know if theres a leak?
You will have to look.
Check the hose clamps and inlet pipes.
Also check the idler bearing.

Bazzle

I was driving yesterday and was looking at it more carefully, it seems as though the sound starts at around exactly 2000rpm and builds up, but if I release the throttle it whines till below 2000rpm which I suppose is understandable.

Bazzle - sorry for my stupidity, but where is the idler bearing and what does it do and how do I check it? I have checked all the clamps in the engine and they all seemt to be fine.

Zishan

If I had to take a guess, then I'd say it sounds like a bearing whining away, perhaps some of the lubricant has dried out?

Does anyone know if there is an oil-feed into the supercharger unit? Or is it sealed for life? If there is an oil feed, perhaps it's leaking or blocked and lubrication isn't getting through?

Just a guess, based on experiences with a Supercharged Lancia many moons ago...

Lazarus said:
If I had to take a guess, then I'd say it sounds like a bearing whining away, perhaps some of the lubricant has dried out?

Does anyone know if there is an oil-feed into the supercharger unit? Or is it sealed for life? If there is an oil feed, perhaps it's leaking or blocked and lubrication isn't getting through?

Just a guess, based on experiences with a Supercharged Lancia many moons ago...

I'll have to try and find that out unless someone already knows the answer to that on here.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom