Whining from front of engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gadget1960

Car
Suzuki GSXR 1000
Hi to all, hoping to get some ideas as to what the Whining noise is coming from the front of my W210 e240 2.6 V6 motor is, When running it sounds almost exactly like the belt whine you get from a supercharged motor and increases in pitch with raising the RPM, all of the ancilliary wheels ie: P/S pump, water pump, alternater, and spring loaded tensioner etc: all seem to be operating / rotating freely, no fluid leaks etc:
the belt seems to look ok with no visible cracks but does have a few light score lines on the out side of the belt and has obviously been fitted for a while.
Do you think a belt change would be in order? as I have heard that a worn belt does tend to make strange noises when a little worn!
Any advice / ideas? :thumb:

Probably a bearing in one of the ancillaries. Have you tried the long screwdriver trick (holding it against the various areas, with other end on ear) and trying to narrow it down.
Other option is to remove belt and see if noise is gone. If it has, try manually turning everything, and see if bearings feel smooth etc.

Neil

Just because they're rotating freely doesn't mean that they won't be whining.

I would suspect the idler - common issue on the M112/113, cheap and easy to replace. Maybe remove the belt and spin by hand to check for any roughness/wear. You could run the engine for a few seconds with the belt removed to be 100% it is on the belt drive side of things too.

You'd best change the belt and, as above, check all of the engine's things whilst the old one's off.

It's quite inconvenient when the belt fails.

Probably a bearing in one of the ancillaries. Have you tried the long screwdriver trick (holding it against the various areas, with other end on ear) and trying to narrow it down.
Other option is to remove belt and see if noise is gone. If it has, try manually turning everything, and see if bearings feel smooth etc.

Neil
That was next on the list of things to try, think i'll get a new belt anyway and see if I can islolate the whine before fitting.:thumb:

Just because they're rotating freely doesn't mean that they won't be whining.

I would suspect the idler - common issue on the M112/113, cheap and easy to replace. Maybe remove the belt and spin by hand to check for any roughness/wear. You could run the engine for a few seconds with the belt removed to be 100% it is on the belt drive side of things too.

Yeah, will do the 'long screwdriver' trick first to see if I can locate the whine, thanks for the heads-up on the idler/tensioner problem, looks to be a fairly easy job too. :thumb:

Slip the belt(s) off and try each pulley by hand. Any roughness or slop and its is time to replace. Tensioner wheels and idlers are the most usual common culprits, fortunately they are easy to change and not too expensive.

Slip the belt(s) off and try each pulley by hand. Any roughness or slop and its is time to replace. Tensioner wheels and idlers are the most usual common culprits, fortunately they are easy to change and not too expensive.

Did the 'screw driver' trick when I got home from work, I think it may be the spring loaded belt tensioner as it sounded really rough and grumbly through the screwdriver, not 100% sure it's the tensioner but it's a good place to start for ease and costs.
Thanks to all for your input / advice. :thumb:

Did the 'screw driver' trick when I got home from work, I think it may be the spring loaded belt tensioner as it sounded really rough and grumbly through the screwdriver, not 100% sure it's the tensioner but it's a good place to start for ease and costs.
g.png

good luck gadget !!!

Forgot to ask .... is the spring loaded tensioner wheel available as 'just the wheel' or do I have to buy the spring loaded part as well? only asking as it has a star bolt in the middle of the wheel suggesting it is removable/replaceable as a 'wheel only part' !?
The operation of the spring loaded part moves very smoothly /freely.

Surely you mean't to say 'go gadget go!' :D

I think the assembly comes as a whole, the socket bolt allows you to insert a tool to relieve tension for belt replacement.

I see, makes sense. Thanks for the info. :thumb:
Can a discount from ECP be had if MBClub is mentioned ? :D

You may find the tensioner and idler bearings are identical, only secured by different sized Torx bolts.

Hi All

I am looking for some advice.

I have a 2004 Mercedes C180 Kompressor..it started making a whistling and grindign noise in the enine. Not cable when start and drive the car.

Took it to a garage who have told me that the following needs to be replaced.

Tension belt, one of the barings, idle pulley and alternator.

Does anyone know how much this should roughly cost?

Have had all these replaced and majority of sound gone but faint whistle still left.

The mechanic says this small sound is normal and is due to the supercharger... he also hinted it could be some engine mounts which he said was a low cost repair.

Has anyone else had this?

Thanks

Nav

FREE - on Google Play
VIEW

Go Back MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts > Technical > Engine
Reload this Page Whining from front of engine?
MBClub supports BEN Official Stickers @mbclubuk
Welcome, NAV83.
You last visited: Today at 04:24 PM
User CP All Albums FAQ Community Shop FORUM RULES Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Notices
DismissDear NAV83, You will not be able to use the Private message facility or reply/post to classified threads unless you have a 30 post count.To post a new message please see the sticky post in the new members introductions area.
DismissDear NAV83, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To get rid of this notice click the red cross to the right of this message.

Engine Engine/transmission and other oily matters

Like Tree5Likes
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
View First Unread View First Unread
Old 07-08-2015, 06:32 PM #16
gadget1960
Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Threadstarter

Car: w210 e240, Suzuki GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantvanman View Post
Tell the wife to go indoors.
Haha, She IS indoors! imagine the noise on a journey!!
Giantvanman likes this.
gadget1960 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
Unread Today, 04:30 PM #17
NAV83

Car: Mercedes C180 Kompressor
Hi All

I am looking for some advice.

I have a 2004 Mercedes C180 Kompressor..it started making a whistling and grindign noise in the enine. Not cable when start and drive the car.

Took it to a garage who have told me that the following needs to be replaced.

Tension belt, one of the barings, idle pulley and alternator.

Does anyone know how much this should roughly cost?

Have had all these replaced and majority of sound gone but faint whistle still left.

The mechanic says this small sound is normal and is due to the supercharger... he also hinted it could be some engine mounts which he said was a low cost repair.

Has anyone else had this?

Thanks

Nav
NAV83 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom