Whipping the CLK around Bedford Autodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peppernick

Car
E500 Sport Coupe
My Bank holiday weekend started with a rendevous with my friend Durgesh and his 997 Turbo at Jonathan Palmer's playground.

BedfordTrackDay1008.jpg

Not many CLK350s are destined for such a life, but since this one landed on my hands, it will be used as intended, or more appropriately, as I intend it :rock:

I had the only Merc at Bedford today ....... no surprise. Even the attendant at the fuel pump said he hadn't seen a three pointed star gracing the Palmer race grounds since he started working there 7 months ago.

The CLK350 is fast enough to excite, yet slow enough to frustrate. More straight line grunt is desired, but I shall continue to resist the temptation of a 55, or even a 63! Cliche had it that a Mercedes and fast corners don't normally mix well, but I was surprised by how well my CLK tackled the bends. In fact, it was actually very good! The H&R springs and the fatter tyres definitely helped; probably also helped by the lighter V6 up front and the very 'civilised' power delivery. The stopping power of the Brembos was a major advantage, as I could brake as late as 50-70 yards forward of the 'BRAKE' signs dotted around the curcuit, consistently, and without any brake fade.

LMP_MSV_080503_0589_03-05-20082013-.jpg

LMP_MSV_080503_0590_03-05-20082013-.jpg

LMP_MSV_080503_0395_03-05-20082013-.jpg

LMP_MSV_080503_0416_03-05-20082013-.jpg

LMP_MSV_080503_0428_03-05-20082013-.jpg

LMP_MSV_080503_0123_03-05-20082013-.jpg

It was truely a superb day out. Today's meeting was organised by Motorsportvision, part of palmersport.com; and as such, the event was very well executed. Extremely professional but not the cheapest around at £225 for the day. However, the high price of the event saw a more selective group of attendants, less prangs, and some top notch machines.

BedfordTrackDay1022.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1009.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1007.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1005.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1021.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1014.jpg

The Bedford Autodrome is still one of the best tracks to learn your track driving. Plenty of run off and good spread of technical portions, long straights and fast sweepers.

BedfordTrackDay1003.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1017.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1011.jpg

Can be hard on the tyres though. The rubber didn't just wear out, it melted :D

BedfordTrackDay1031.jpg

BedfordTrackDay1030.jpg

The Falken FK-452s I have on the car are absolutely brilliant! Not only did they grip, they also let go very progressively. I found it very easy to place the car where I wanted it even at times when a slight sideway 'drift' was incoporated into the forward motion. Thoroughly recommend them.

At 5pm, the chequered flag fell. I burned 95 litres of fuel today, front tyres probably need replacing, but left the Autodrome with a big grin ... :)

BedfordTrackDay1032.jpg

Hi Nick I've not been on for a while, your car is looking great!

Always wanted to do a track day but I don't think the 220 is the weapon of choice lol

Your mates 997 looks fantastic!

Last edited:
Hello

The 997 does look nice. C220 its not the engine all the time its the way the car is set up and the driver..

Nick will agree I'm sure the CLK350 is not in the same league as some of the cars there yet I bet it did quite well, it just needs more grunt out of the bends I guess...

You can take part in many cheaper track days but as Nick says you do get more people, but then saying that you get more 'normal' cars. Oulton Park near us do some for around £90 and if you get their earlier enough you get a pit garage :)

I would advise track insurance however (nick I guess you have this?)

Our Track cars...

inpitgarage.jpg

This is a Friends Noble...he took track insurance the day before a track day on his first one..

Before

IMAG3948-1.jpg

After:(

Noblebackafter.jpg

IMAG3960.jpg

Great time had by all on track days and everyone is so friendly, you get to have a ride in all sorts of cars :)

Always wanted to do a track day but I don't the 220 is the weapon of choice lol
Track day is not racing. You drive within your means, you don't have to drive round in warp speed if you don't feel comfortable and you never race anyone. As long as your car is reliable (ie. doesn't dump it's oil or coolant on the track, brakes fine and the tyres work), you can drive it on a track.

I would advise track insurance however (nick I guess you have this?)
Advisable but I don't have it, and don't intend to. I choose my trackdays carefully and drive with my head firmly screwed on. I never drive in close proximity and always allow enough space for error in the event that I lose control of my car. If it gets too crowded out there to my liking, I will return to the pits. Also, given the car that I drive, it is highly unlikely the electronics will not save me in a self inflicted incident, especially with the considerations mentioned above I have already taken into account. It's a calculated risk I am willing to take.

Here are some pics from last weekend :)

The variety of cars are always cool in events like these, but these owners actually drove the nutz off their pride and joy, which was even more pleasing to watch.

A few owners brought along their pair of cars, in case one had to be retired .

Bedford-May-08_028.jpg

Bedford-May-08_027.jpg

Nice M3 vert, in Velvet Blue and red AP Racing BBKs.

Bedford-May-08_004.jpg

Customized CSL, that had a little 'incident'.

Bedford-May-08_013.jpg

Bedford-May-08007.jpg

Bedford-May-08029.jpg

Green with envy? It sure did make you feel that.

Bedford-May-08_001.jpg

Nice classics being driven. These cars belong out there on the tarmac, not sitting at home under dust covers. Both of these examples were MINT!

Bedford-May-08_011_copy.jpg

Bedford-May-08_040.jpg

My mates Joe and Neil. Neil's Alpina was one hardcore track carver. I ached all over after going in it for 7 laps back to back. But what a machine! Awesome driver too!

Bedford-May-08_032.jpg

Some lovely cars there!

I know what you're saying but the 220 isn't a car you want to drive hard not like my A3 quattro I just sold that was great fun.

Why not? Any car can be driven hard. I've seen people take their diesel Vectra estates out onto the Nurburgring still had massive fun.

Why not? Any car can be driven hard. I've seen people take their diesel Vectra estates out onto the Nurburgring still had massive fun.

Nice pics. Looked like you were having fun as well as putting your CLK through its paces. Its great that you are fully able to test the limitations of your car on the track - must help when your on the road. Great stuff.

Suppose you're right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom