Whirring noise behind Central Console

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clegsr

Car
Later
I have a a 2001 E-Class with Dual Climate and Comand and I have recently noticed a whirring or possibly a fan/pump type noise from behind the Comand/Climate area when I open the drivers door but before I switch anything on or put the ignition key in.

I reckon it only does it in the morning/or after several hours standing, because if you drive for a while and then get back inside, it doesn't do it.

I thought it might be the vacuum pump for the headlamp levelling adjusters but the Dealer reckons that for my model (E430) that is located behind the rear seats.

Any ideas what it might be anyone?

The COMAND system itself has a fan on it, just like your PC to cool it down. I used to hear it sometimes in my CLK. It can also continue when you remove the key and get out.

Originally posted by Maff
The COMAND system itself has a fan on it, just like your PC to cool it down. I used to hear it sometimes in my CLK. It can also continue when you remove the key and get out.

Yeah, I thought it might be that, but this noise I usually only hear first thing in the morning when the car is cold.

After the car has been driven for a bit it doesn't do it anymore, I do sometimes hear the fan/or CD wind-down from the COMAND after I switch off, but its different noise.

I spoke with the Dealer today and they told that it was normal for the Dual-Climate to do this, it was just the fan testing the air prior to switch on.

I think the Dual Climate is standard on E430's, so anyone else out there with an E430/dual climate (i.e. separate passenger and driver controls) which makes these normal noises?

{-this reminds me of the Airforce mechanics report where the pilot reported a "whining from the starboard engine", the engineer wrote down that "such a whining noise is normal engine noise", and the next flight the pilot reported "normal whining noise missing from Port engine..."}

Originally posted by clegsr
Yeah, I thought it might be that, but this noise I usually only hear first thing in the morning when the car is cold.

That's still comand, remember mine's only been recently fitted and I only started hearing the noise AFTER it was installed. When it's cold the stupid fan still runs and it makes a LOT of noise for the first minute, no idea why.

The whirring noise has been puzzling me too.

I have a 2002 230 series SL 500. the vehicle is garaged and when I open the drivers door, there is a distintive mechanical whirr thats lasts for some 3-4 seconds. It sounds too harsh to be a fan. If I had to guess I would say a mini pump.

The noise is only apparent after the car has been standing overnight, and does not last long enough to get a bearing on exactly where it's coming from.

The mystery deepens :)

Tony,

I hear that noise to in my CL. I also hear the same noise sometimes from each corner of the rear of the car, even after started and when moving.

I can only assume it is the dual range climate control fans, pumps or simular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom