whirrrrrrrr.........dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sweeney todd

My PC is playing up guys and gals..................

On power up the fan starts to whirr for a few seconds then the whole thing closed down before ever getting to any of the boot screens. This has happened all of today.

This evening after a couple of attempts the machine stayed on (briefly flashing a message about CD-ROM failure during startup).......disk checked.....and has been OK since......fingers crossed!

The CD-ROM occasionally does a bit of uncommanded opening and closing (no nasty viruses thoroughly checked).............

Has all the symptoms of a short circuit somewhere but to be honest I'm a bit baffled..............

Any ideas folks??????????

I wonder if it might be a short circuit on the motherboard - used to happen to me - but when it was warmed up a bit (about 20 power ons) it then kept working until it had been turned off for a while and hence cooled down?

I changed the mb and all worked perfectly (btw I thought it was the PSU at first but after a change it was just the same)

Steve

sorry, just read about the cr-rom drive - I never encountered that so perhaps it isn't the same problem...

Err... blimey Sweeney... another 200mph poster :rolleyes:

Thought I recognised that thread.

Personally I'd check *all* connections inside PC. Unplug them and then reconnect. Then I'd be suspicious of either PSU or HDD depending on whether the click was a HDD one or not.

Turns out the PSU is goosed. Replaced it and machine is soak testing as we speak.

Thxs for the help.

Your computer might be more reliable if you leave it on all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom