Whistling noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarobinson25

Car
2002 C180K Classic SE
Has anyone got any ideas on the following? Today (& possibly yesterday) I detected a kind of “hollow whistle” noise (a bit like blowing over the top of a bottle), possibly coming from the back but not sure. The sound was audible from about 20/30mph upwards but always seem to keep at the same level - just apparent above the road noise, not changing with either wheel speed or engine speed. The only time it may have changed was during high speed (70mph) cornering (on the slip road from the M56 to the M6). The car is a late 2002 W203 (C180K) with a manual gearbox which has done 48k miles and was serviced in October.

My immediate thoughts are that it is one of the following:
  • Tyre noise (it had new Falken tyres on the back in December) but I think this noise may be too high pitched.
  • Differential
  • Rear bearings
  • Wind noise – it was a bit breezy this morning.
I found this thread (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=54902#post54902) but I think my noise might be different, plus that was on a W202. Anyone come across anything like this?
TIA - Jim

Might sound silly - but are all your windows properly shut?

I've decided after further investigation using my highly calibrated ear that the sound is a mixture of tyre noise from the new tyres and a little bit of break sqeal from some sticky breaks (I'll get those sorted out ASAP).
I think I'm reading this forum too much and getting paranoid. Never mind!
Cheers - Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom