Whistling noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercE240

Car
E240 1999
There is a high pitched whistling noise coming from inside the car around the dash area. (E240 1999 31k miles)

I have noticed recently that when I put the side lights on the noise decreases & changes pitch.

Any ideas please.

Thanks Colin

try adjusting the headlight beam height switch. these run on the vacuum system and sometimes leak

It does not seem to matter whether it's side or head lights-same change.

I have just noticed that the noise is coming from the radio/cassette.(yes cassette!)

It is a sony and when I open it down on it's hinge, as if to put a tape in, the noise stops.

You may find it has partially "eaten" the contents of a cassette at some time in the past and this is jaming up the works. I'm afraid this probably means removal and partial dismantling of the unit to cure the problem. Some of the electronic experts will be along shortly.

I still have this high pitched whistling noise when the door of the radio cassette is closed. I am not aware of any tape breakages in the past.
Any other ideas please.?

Thanks Colin

I still have this high pitched whistling noise when the door of the radio cassette is closed. I am not aware of any tape breakages in the past.
Any other ideas please.?

Thanks Colin

Is it there when the radio is off

Any other ideas please.?

Thanks Colin

Change it for a cd player.:D
Simply plug and play and they are cheap now too.;)

stab in the dark but what about the illumination circuit in the stereo?

The change in pitch may be the unit recognising that the headlights have been activated and dimming for evening brightness?

Well this hissing noise finally got to me tonight on the way home and out came the Stanley knife - this is the up/down headlight tilt switch but I could get into it to repair the thing :(

I am guessing there is some sort of diaphram in there which is broken.

aS5000911.jpg

aS5000912.jpg

OK you now suck and blow on the conectors on the switch, to see if it is leaking

Hello Malcolm,

I tried that, on one of the connections it is totally open, ie can blow and suck with no resistance, the other I cant -

Does that mean its broken :confused:

With the pipes blocked off (as above) will the headlights be stuck up or down?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom