White dots on the paintwork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bahamars

Car
W211 E320 CDI
Whilst doing my weekly clean of my car yesterday I noitced about 20 or so white dots over the front of the car - bonnet, windscreen, front wings and drivers door.

On close inspection i found that they were dots of paint or something. They had set solid and were about a 1mm in diameter but noticeable even on a silver bodywork. They may be road marking paint or something like it.

I tried to remove them by concentrated rubbing with the chamois and sponge bou no good. I then tried to ping them off with my finger nail - still no movement.

I had poished the car the previous weekend and thought their adhesion would not be great - but it is. I even found two dots on the front windscreen that I thought must come off with the finger nail but they would not budge.

Has anybody had a similar experience and how did you get rid of them, does anybody have any tips or recommendations of what technique or proprietory product to use that may remove them without damaging the bodywork.

All suggestions gratefully received

thanks.
:confused:

I was going to suggest a clay bar too. :D

Although you polished last week - did you wax? All polishing does is smooth surface by removing impurities, it's waxing that provides the real protection ;)

Ok, a sort of related question.....

I have a big white blob of white household gloss on my bootlid (about 9 mm round and 3 mm high)

Been there since day one, dont know how it got there , but its solid, and the only way i can think to get it off is a razor blade.....

Every time i open the boot its there taunting me...... :crazy:

any ideas ..... clay bar again ..... bear in mind its thick .....

Howard said:

I have a big white blob of white household gloss on my bootlid (about 9 mm round and 3 mm high)

Been there since day one, dont know how it got there , but its solid, and the only way i can think to get it off is a razor blade.....

Try painting the rest of the boot to match. :D :D :D

Howard said:

Can't see a clay bar working on that one chuck :(

A blast with a hot hair dryer might soften it a bit so you can pick it off.

IF you are suitably skilled and steady handed you could try a razor blade to thin it down then a clay bar might do it.

Can't think of anything else without ruining your paintwork :eek:

Brian WH said:
Try painting the rest of the boot to match. :D :D :D

he he - it already is - white on white :D

pammy said:
IF you are suitably skilled and steady handed you could try a razor blade to thin it down then a clay bar might do it.

Best not to have a go on a Saturday morning then ........ the Stella shakes might put paid to my lovely white shine.....

To be fair it's white gloss on a white car... i notice it because it taunts me and upsets me, but no one else sees it !!

I had LOADS of white dots on my paitnswork, same description as yours Bahamars. I actually thought it was the wax I was using (I stupidly decided to try a "Halfords Resin Wax" because I couldn't find the zym). They were pretty stuck on too, but a clay bar did the trick.

Quite frankly, its hard for them to be road paint, as British road paint is mixed with fibreglass to make it shinier at night, but that makes it quite thick/viscous. Hence the dots would be quite bulgy.
Michele

Howard said:

Try scratching the surface of the gloss paint then use white spirit to soften it.
The white spirit won't affect the car paint.

Thanks for the suggestions Team.

Pammy - I used "Mer" polish, I think thats what its called, last week.

Dieselman - I've never heard of clay bar. What is it, where do you get it and more importantly - what do you do with it? :)

Howard said:

how about a little white spirit on a cotton bud , just moist with it and not soaking so it runs on your paint?

just an idea , prob a bad one

thinners on a rag,but be carefull

Howard said:

Betcha I have some stuff to get it off... You're welcome to try it if you like.

Langka

bahamars said:
Thanks for the suggestions Team.

Pammy - I used "Mer" polish, I think thats what its called, last week.

Dieselman - I've never heard of clay bar. What is it, where do you get it and more importantly - what do you do with it? :)

Clay bar is a putty like clay. It is very mildly abrasive but really works on the suction it creates.
Wet the surface and glide/rub the clay over the paint. It will pick off loads of crap.

Your car will feel really smooth after doing the job.
After clay you must WAX the car.

Mer polish is ok but is quite agressive and doesn't seem very waxy. switch to a pure wax for best results and protection.

All water based car polishes/waxes are crap. Being water based they wash off too quickly and are often bulked out with cutting powder.
The more liquid a car polish is the more cutting action there is.
Go for a solid wax for best results. Harder work but worth it.

You can buy Meguires brand clay bar at Halfords.

Howard said:
With regards to wax, the best wax i have ever used is Harly Wax, its 100% yellow carnauba wax.

you can get it from www.harlywax.com
Based upon Howard's recommendation on here ten days or so ago, I bought some.

Yet to try it, as I need less bright sunlight. Darn this good weather! :D

Harly wax is available in the UK, but at between £20 and £27 plus carriage. I paid around £18 for mine, including postage from the US.

PJ

EDIT: I actually paid less than £14!

Last edited:
Don't worry about bright sunlight, it doesn't affect it - i did mine the other day in the midday sun and its fine ....... went on smooth and polished off nice

The secret is to rub it in with a cloth (mutton cloth) balled into about a three inch square pad, in circular motions.

Let it dry (do a whole side at a time) then have two soft cloths (i use 'glass cloths' you know the white tea towels you see barmen using to dry glasses with or chefs in kitchens) , with the first, rub the worst off (do a panel at a time when rubbing off), dont worry if some is left on the paintwork, bits here and there, then with the second cloth, buff it up, thereby taking the last bits off.

Works a treat, no effort required .....

Stop making excuses and get on with it !! LOL :D

H

Howard said:
Stop making excuses and get on with it !! LOL :D

H

Cheers mate! You sound like my missus, only she's not talking about cleaning the car. And before SportsInnuendoRich wakes up; she's not talking about that either! :D

I've always tried to avoid cleaning or polishing (or waxing) when the car's too hot. Dunno why, just always been told to.

So Howard, I'll give you the same response I give SWMBO:

I'll do it in a minute!

;)

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom