White Emulsion Paint Splatter!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300CE24V

Car
300 CE 24 Auto, 1991
my car has only just recently come back from a spray job and due to some work man being around the house i had to park it on the driveway for a day or so.

came home last night to see white splatter on white paint come from the neighbours house who happen to paint the outside of the house from a cowboy painter! :mad:

so now i have spec of this paint mostly over the bonnet and wing with the odd spec on the door. :wallbash:

i am now really worried that trying to remove it will damage the paint. the spec comes off if you scrap it gently with your nail, but not with a sponge or leather etc.

was going to try some hot soapy water to see if that helps shifts it tonight.

any advice on how i could do this or is it best to give the car to a detailer and let them deal with?

If it has dried I would try Tardis. It's a solvent based tar remover, but would be ideal for removing emulsion and safe on your paintwork.

Available from Polished Bliss

my car has only just recently come back from a spray job and due to some work man being around the house i had to park it on the driveway for a day or so.

came home last night to see white splatter on white paint come from the neighbours house who happen to paint the outside of the house from a cowboy painter! :mad:

so now i have spec of this paint mostly over the bonnet and wing with the odd spec on the door. :wallbash:

i am now really worried that trying to remove it will damage the paint. the spec comes off if you scrap it gently with your nail, but not with a sponge or leather etc.

was going to try some hot soapy water to see if that helps shifts it tonight.

any advice on how i could do this or is it best to give the car to a detailer and let them deal with?

Just re read your post - if you have just had a repsray you will need to make sure the paint has fully hardened and dried otherwise Tardis may not be such a good idea.

Also don't use a sponge and leather - you will be damaging your respray by inflicting swirls in the clearcoat.

its been about a month now since it has come out of the spray booth. the sponge is only used on the wheels but i will ditch the leather, meaning to get a drying towel for a while!

do you think that is enough time to use Tardis?

Also stick it in the microwave till you can flatten it out to a size of a fried egg so you have more surface area too speed things up a little

i was a bit unsure about using a clay bar as some one once told me that it could remove the lacquer as well is that true?

The only thing I've experienced is a residue left by not keeping the panel wet but it comes off with a bit of polish, i use a clay on cars top surfaces that has fallout before machine polishing, The only way the clear coat would come off is if it hasn't keyed too the the paint underneath

i was a bit unsure about using a clay bar as some one once told me that it could remove the lacquer as well is that true?
Use plenty of lubricant (in the Meguiars kit, quick detailer) and you will have no probs with clay.

As regards tardis, I am no expert as to how long auto paint takes to harden, so I would be extra cautious if you have had a recent respray.

Try asking in the bodywork section as there are some experts that regularly post there (CLKclive runs a bodyshop)

+1 with fatdazza 24v, I'd give your sprayer/clive a ring before doing anything with the paintwork. If you decide to clay I'd recommend Bilt Hamber clay as you only need water as a lubricant (i clayed mine a few months ago & was amazed with the results but of course, my paint is 21 years old!)

If the paint is emulsion then water will remove it before it dries fully, if it's gloss then white spirit will remove it.

BTW, all commercially sold tar removers are just white spirit.

If the paint is emulsion then water will remove it before it dries fully, if it's gloss then white spirit will remove it.

BTW, all commercially sold tar removers are just white spirit.

The MSDS for Autosmart Tardis lists the composition as:

[FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0][FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0]
IOSPROPYLAMINE DODECYLBENZENE SULPHONATE 1-5%
[FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0][FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0]WHITE SPIRIT 30-60%
[FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0][FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0]XYLENE 30-60%

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I believe the first item is an emulsifier that enhances the rinsing, and the xylene is a powerful solvent.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The MSDS for Autosmart Tardis lists the composition as:

[FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0][FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0]
IOSPROPYLAMINE DODECYLBENZENE SULPHONATE 1-5%
[FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0][FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0]WHITE SPIRIT 30-60%
[FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0][FONT=Arial-Unicode-MS+0]XYLENE 30-60%

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I believe the first item is an emulsifier that enhances the rinsing, and the xylene is a powerful solvent.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Those percentages don't add up, or are rather vague.

Xylene is a petroleum distillate which dries virtually greaseless unlike the white spirit. It is often used in paint and car polish to act as an evaporating degreaser.

White spirit or lamp oil make excellent tar removers.

If it is a water based paint you will be able to soften it up by dabbing with a cloth wetted with meths and then removing with warm soapy water.I'd do one or two specs at a time as you really only want the meths on the paintwork just long enough to soften up the specks and not affecting your topcoat.

Those percentages don't add up, or are rather vague.

Xylene is a petroleum distillate which dries virtually greaseless unlike the white spirit. It is often used in paint and car polish to act as an evaporating degreaser.

White spirit or lamp oil make excellent tar removers.

Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are often vague on actual percentages to protect the manufacturer's "secret ratio".

What makes Tardis useful is that it can be used after washing, and then rinsed with water to remove. The car will not need washing again, as there is no greasy residue. With pure white spirit you will need to wash again after using it, to remove the greasy residues.

From experience you will more than likely need to give the car a good claying to remove the paint splatters, this may leave some light marring (hazing) to the finish, but is easily rectified with a light polish afterwards.

I have 3 cars in E3 that I need to rectify with the same issues next week, a solvent will be the first approach, failing that it will be a light claying.

If your car was painted 4-5 weeks ago then you should have no issues, I would imagine the fresh paint would have been ovenbaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom