White goods question: Washer dryers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, citizens.

I'm completely fed up with our tumble dryer. It lives in the spare bedroom (no room for it in our tiny kitchen), taking up space, it has a hose so we have to open up the window every time we want to use it and the hose fitting is appalling - the hose comes out of the fitting and/or the fitting falls out of the machine probably every other time we turn it on. It was cheap, but apparently cheap for a reason. It's crap.

Over the summer, laundry hasn't been a problem - either out on the line or on a airer or a combination of both. But, the nights are drawing in and we'll be needing to dry stuff without the help of mother nature again.

Our washing machine is a few years old now, still working well but starting to get a bit noisier on spin. I'm considering binning the two machines and getting a condensing washer/dryer, but I seem to remember reading an article a few years back criticising their reliabilty. Have they got better or do they need replacing regularly?

We probably do 2.5 washes per week, given that it's only me and SWMBO. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount - the cheap tumble drier will haunt me for a while - but probably wouldn't spring for a top end machine, given that it'll be lightly used. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Gaz

We've had a BEKO condensing dryer for a couple of years now , fantastic bit of kit and not expensive to buy.

It's a DRCS68W , probably don't make it anymore , but there should be an equivalent. Copes with the washing from the three of us easily.

DRCS68 Tumble Dryers | Beko

Not sure about price, but after trying various brands, the wife bought John Lewis branded laundry machine and drier (which I believe are both made by Electrolux), with 5 years warranty and no-quibble return policy - and we are very happy with them. Hope this helps.

Ignore my post , I misread what you wanted lol :eek:

A couple of downsides to combined washer/dryers:

1. The drying load capacity is often less than the washing load capacity, so you have to take some items out when they're washed, dry what remains, then run the drying cycle again for what you took out of the machine wet
  2. You can't be washing one load while drying another, so the total elapsed time for the weekly wash extends
I'd only really consider a combination machine as a last resort (which is maybe where you are in your thinking, in which case ignore me!).

Washer/dryers used to be hard on the door seals due to the extra heat involved. It was always advisable to leave the door ajar when not in use.

We had a Hotpoint one some years ago.

Couldn't really recommend it. It didn't do either job particularly well, and after 2 or 3 years use it started to damage the clothes!

They may be better now, but we won't risk it again.

Just wash it and put it on an airer/clothes maiden with the extra help of one of these.

The added bonus is that it will help in the garage if you have signs of dampness near the car.

Can tell I'm single (again) can't you. :)

I've had a £400 Zanussi machine (AEG was the same for £100 extra with a different front) I bought in 1998, for 15 years now and it still works fine, but I hardly ever use the dryer function these days, because :
1. You have to take half the washing out for anything to dry because you need the air to circulate. Heavy stuff like jeans, just forget it.
2. Drying clogs the filter with scummy fluff and you have to empty it and clean it more often or the washing machine will stop mid cycle, full of water.
3. You have to keep buying Bounce sheets or your dried clothes will smell unpleasantly of biscuits. No idea why.
It's just easier to hang things on a clothes horse. You have to do it to half the load anyway.

I have just moved the other way, from an AEG washer/dryer to a Miele washing machine. Load size is an issue, the AEG worked well, but I'd rather dry things on a stand, my linen and cottons can then be ironed at the right humidity.

Mine started retaining water at about 5 years old, but it never missed a beat.

When we did our kitchen last year, we invested a few quid in 'white' goods and one of the things we bought was a Samsung Eco Bubble washer dryer with 8KG wash / 5KG dry and it works very well. It was £600 but dries well...

We considered separates but a good quality washer dryer these days is fine and we would have had to have put the dryer elsewhere in the house like you. You probably do the same amount of washing as we do by the sound of it.

my wife had a washer dryer a few years ago and said she would never have another,plus if the dryer fails you cant normally use the washer and vice a versa.

We had a washer dryer 29 years ago - only reason I remember is that it went up in flames the night we bought our new born daughter home. Would never have another. Bought a Miele washing machine -that lasted 23 years, could have had it repaired but for an extra £100 got a brand new Miele that will outlast us. Also have a Miele condensing tumble dryer that is 10 year old, still going strong and fantastic. We collect the condensed water and use it in the steam iron, markedly reduces cleaning of the iron as well as extending its life!

Washer driers generally don't work very well, but why do you need a drier at all? Buy a decent washing machine with a high spin an the clothes come out nothing more than a bit damp.

We bought an LG direct drive when the 1600 spin speed first came out and I can honestly say, it's great.
Washing then goes out on the line to dry off in short order...very occasionally it has to go on a clothes horse, but that is rare.

Before anyone starts...of course I could afford a drier...

Ignore, misunderstood the question

Last edited:
Not being a plutocrat, we're still working with a Creda Reversomatic 2-speed, bought in 1975.

Origially doubled as central heating in our eight roomed flat...

I'm with Daveenty.
I have separate washer and tumble drier, but reckon the dehumidifier is better at drying.
I have a Meaco DD8L which does a good job. The heat it uses as part of the drying process stays in the house.

My mother in law has recently moved and could only have a washer/dryer, so we got her a Indesit IWDC6125 (£329) that was a Which recommended product, it is not great!

Cheers,

Terry

I've a Bosch washer drier since new in 2007 and still going strong. Good quality heritage since Bosch, along with Krupps (yep the coffee maker folks) made Nazi weapons and armour during the world war..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom