White smoke, 1998, W202, C200CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300SEL-W126

Car
Mercedes 300SEL W126
Hello my friends, new here.
I have a 1998 W202 C200CDI and some days ago i noticed lots of white smoke, but not always. Sometimes it`s ok.
Yesterday on a 4 mile trip, i noticed a 2 inch coolant loss on the header and it was a smokey trip.
The car as no signs of oil on the coolant, or coolant on the oil and no overheat at all.
Any ideas? Can anyone help me, please?
Many thanks.

Cheers

I'd suggest you get the engine coolant system pressure checked first, as it could be a blown head gasket.

I'd suggest you get the engine coolant system pressure checked first, as it could be a blown head gasket.

Thanks mate.
I really hope not. :(
The car has 180K miles.
The strange thing is that i get no pressure on the header, even after a long drive. No signs of oil on the coolant and no overheat.
I might have that checked.

Oil in the water or water in the oil is really very rare. When the gasket goes 99 times in 100 the gasket blows the fire ring blowing exhaust gases into the cooling system. As has already been said, get the cooling system pressure checked before you go any further

How often do you need to top the coolant up?

White smoke can also be caused by raw unburnt diesel in the turbo, as in the link posted by balge.

Thanks mates...
Yes, i`ll have my cooling system checked.
I have to top up the coolant, almost every day.
Some days there is no white smoke and the coolant stays on level.

There is no unusual smell, BlackC55.
What if it`s steem? What could it be? Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom