Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Dear fellow techies,

I have started to notice something which may or may not be normal. When I go WOT in the car, I notice very small amounts of white smoke (but enough to be visible in my RVM) coming out of the exhaust. This is sometimes accompanied by an unpleasant smell in the cabin when I come to a halt, but the smell is intermittent.

There are no other symptoms I can notice. It does shake a bit more than i'm used at idle, but I know that the engine mounts are due for a change.

The car runs fine though, the only thing is the mpg is slightly on the low side these days, only achieving low 50's as opposed to my normal late 50's early 60's.

I only noticed this after the remap aswell.

What does the panel think?

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

New pope?:dk:

Well its not the HG, i've checked the coolant and the oil.

I read that it could be incorrect combustion of fuel. Injectors?

I am going to service it soon, gonna put some denso glow plugs in, so that will rule the plugs out.

It doesn't run oddly in anyway, its just this one small issue that i'm noticing and I don't want it to develop into something nasty. Any other suggestions?

If it's only happened after the remap may it make sense to revert to original map to see if it continues? Just to rule that out.

I think i've found the problem.

Bit of background of mishaps yesterday & today: I decided to fill it up with 10 litres of V-power diesel and it only lasted me 30 miles :eek:

And this smell I was talking about start to get worse and worse so I knew something was up. 10 litres with only 30 miles covered is less than 15 miles to the GALLON!

anyway I filled up full tank today, and running errands around town, as you do, and I decided to put some additive in there to clear out the injection system. Ok so I got home after thrashing its **** off, so I leave it idling for a bit to give the turbo a chance to chill. I then open the bonnet and notice that what looks like disel pissing out... I remove the plastic cover quickly and find that one of the rubber hoses leading to the fuel rail is leaking out my hard earned cash!!!

I'm glad I found the problem, and I think this would explain the white smoke i've been experiencing aswell since the car would have had low fuel pressure and hence not going through the combustion cycle correctly. Do I deserve to feel good for finding the problem? :D

Now I don't know if ECP or VW are going to be open tomorrow, but I really need to get this sorted before work on tuesday...

:bannana:

Last edited:
Its a pity with that smell you hadn't raised the bonnet earlier.

I think i've found the problem.

Bit of background of mishaps yesterday & today: I decided to fill it up with 10 litres of V-power diesel and it only lasted me 30 miles :eek:

And this smell I was talking about start to get worse and worse so I knew something was up. 10 litres with only 30 miles covered is less than 15 miles to the GALLON!

anyway I filled up full tank today, and running errands around town, as you do, and I decided to put some additive in there to clear out the injection system. Ok so I got home after thrashing its **** off, so I leave it idling for a bit to give the turbo a chance to chill. I then open the bonnet and notice that what looks like disel pissing out... I remove the plastic cover quickly and find that one of the rubber hoses leading to the fuel rail is leaking out my hard earned cash!!!

I'm glad I found the problem, and I think this would explain the white smoke i've been experiencing aswell since the car would have had low fuel pressure and hence not going through the combustion cycle correctly. Do I deserve to feel good for finding the problem? :D

Now I don't know if ECP or VW are going to be open tomorrow, but I really need to get this sorted before work on tuesday...

:bannana:

that'll do it every time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom