White smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ghummy

Car
Mercedes Benz c220 (w203 2005)
Hi lovely people. Just want some advice. I will set the scene. Was driving home from work today all was fine and dandy. Came off a round about and round the bend, after I got past the bend I put my foot down and the autobox kicked down as expected and I accelerated.

The car got to 4k rpm however left a big cloud of white smoke. As expected I was worried. After this seemed to work fine, drove the car rest of the way home for a further mile and got no issues at all. No white smoke. No strange noises and no warning lights of malfunctions

Just wandering what could have caused this. Could it be a one off

Car is a w203 c220 cdi 2006. Done 68k miles and only just had its service A last week at the local merc indy. Prodamantly drive short journeys if that makes any difference.

Could it? Journey from work to home is only 4 miles so I wouldn't imagine the revs to stay up long enough. I didn't even think I had a dpf

I do have a code 474 on the data card and I read somewhere on this word that this refers to having a dpf? Is that code correct?

Might have just been condensation in the exhaust system that was blown out when you booted it.

Oil overfill, as Bruce has suggested.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Just got back from work and here's the update

Started the car this morning with trepidation. No smoke on start up at all. Got the car out the street and up the road. After driving about 100 yards got some white smoke for literally 30 seconds and then nothing at all. Drove a further 3 miles and no smoke, no power loss no warning lights or sounds etc. got to work no problems.

Car sat in the car part all day. Got in it after work. Adjusted my passenger side mirror so i can see the exhaust area. Drove home 4 miles and nothing at all. Like nothing's ever happened. Car boosting fine no smoke or noises etc

My theory is this morning was the exhaust just blowing out whatever remained in the exhaust yesterday?

I put my foot down on a stretch of road on my way home. Nothing wild like bouncing it off the limited but got it up to around 50ish quickly. Could not replicate what happened yesterday.

Still stumped. Is it work taking it to to get it checked out or wait to see if it decides to do something silly again?

Oil smoke is indeed blue smoke, but not all THAT blue; close to white.

My best guess would be that it was a little overfilled, and has now burnt the excess off, though you might well find that there will be a bit more to come. I'd just leave it, and see what happens; if you get a persistent plume of smoke you have a problem, but if not, probably you haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom