White Smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harv1963

Car
1992 W126 500 SEL
Me again!

My W126 500 SEL permanently gives off white smoke and water droplets from the exhaust no matter how long I have driven for. (like start up on a cold day but all the time) I was thinking it is one of the symptoms of the Cylinder Head Gasket needing replaced however I am confused as there are no other symptoms. There is good oil pressure, no drop in power, no scum on oil filler cap, no bubbling in water, no loss of fluid etc etc.

Ideas please.

Last edited:
An inexpensive sensitive test is to "sniff" the headspace above the coolant with an exhast gas analyser for the presence of combustion gases. Many garages will do this for you for a small charge- maybe for nothing with the prospect of a repair job.;) BUT they must know what they are doing i.e. they have done this many times before:thumb: and know what constitutes a positive result. If the test is positive then the next test is a compression test on all the cylinders via the spark plug hole. You can buy these testers for reasonable money and do the test yourself- you are looking for a cylinder/cylinders with readings down from the rest-- but as always its interpreting the data and experience!! because the next stage begins to get expensive if you get it wrong !

If you have ruled out a head gasket problem, than look at your transmission fluid level.
Possible a vacuum diaphragm leak in the modulator causing small amounts of transmission fluid to enter the combustion chambers ?

Took the car to my local garage today regarding a separate matter and they don't think it is anything major. Perhaps just needing a good run. All levels ok and nothing obvious. Thank you to everyone for your advice. P.S. Car has just been named "Otto"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom