WHITE SPEEDO CABLE???? 1995 e300d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eggzy43

Car
e300 diesel 1995
Re: dash backlights not working
after reading someone in the same predicament my last hope is the red fuse on the back of the cluster. After lifting the carpet, trim etc. I can’t find the white Speedo cable, which is described as a thin white cable clipped to the lower steering column. However, there is a fat black cable (a cable inside a rubber hose shroud) exiting to the left into the transmission tunnel, when I moved the cluster it moved too, so its probably the one, but there’s no free play in it, I was going to detach it from underneath the car and I found to my horror a large plastic aerodynamic shield covering the belly of the car, so it looks like I’ll have to remove the trim >above< the cluster…or find someone with ultra-skinny hands and arms?

BTW when I removed the lower trim to check out the headlamp dial assembly I found I could insert my fingers in the upper gap and push out the instrument cluster, a worthwhile thing if you can't remove it with hooks.

why not remove the plastic shield.... its only held on with a few self tappers dotted around, 5 or 6 iirc.

it is accessible when the front of the car is up on drive on ramps or axle stands, and you can just about do it all....

cheers

derek

If you remove the cover above the drivers footwell (and below the cluster) you should be able to reach up (follow the cable - it is the one with the rubber shroud) and undo the speedo cable from the back of the instrument ( brass collar which unscrews by hand , allowing the cable to pull out ) . You do need to be a bit of a contortionist , and it may involve sitting upside down in the seat with your head in the footwell ( like Robin Williams did in 'Mork and Mindy' ! ) , but it IS possible : I've done it several times . There's a big transverse air duct running from the heater to the side vent - pull this out to make access easier , it will come out and go back without trouble .

On some W124's there is enough leeway to pull the cluster out enough to get your hand in and undo it from the front .

Disconnecting from the back of the gearbox is a PITA and too much hassle - usually something breaks !

pontoneer,
when i do it, should i say; "mork calling orson" "mork calling orson"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom