White Van Man(iac) on M1 a couple of weeks ago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
I was driving north along the M1 approaching J5 (Watford) on a sunday morning, on my own in my SL, minding my own business doing about 85.
I was in the outside lane, and a white van was in the inside lane. There was a lorry ahead of him and another car in the middle lane.
So as I'm about to go past the car in the middle lane, white van shoots straight across from the inside to the outside lane, cutting in front of me and missing me by about inches.
So I was right behind him and flashing my lights. He then pulls in to the middle lane now doing about 85 (those vans are pretty quick when they're empty) and I start slowly overtaking him.
He speeds up again to come level with me because there is a car in the middle lane that he wants to overtake and he's going to cut me up again.

He was really annoying me by now so rather than put my foot down and leave him behind, I just stayed level with him so that he had to wait until I'd overtaken the car in the middle lane before he could.
He then swings out behind me into the outside lane and I can see him mouthing off and giving me the finger.
At this point I thought "enough is enough" and I put my foot down. The SL60 did the business and he disappeared in my rear view mirror.
By this time I was at J5 where I was turning off. So I go up the slip road and stop at the lights -still checking in my rvm for the van. He was going along in the middle lane and then he obviously sees me at the lights and he veers sharply at the last moment to come off the m-way following me.
Traffic on the rndabt was quite heavy but I managed to get over the lights before he caught me up (he ran a red to try and catch me) and I then got back on to the m-way southbound and did 120 for about 5 minutes to get rid of him.
The whole thing shook me up big time and I spent about a week worrying that this nutter would come looking for me!!

I should have just let him get by me and kept out of trouble.

The van driver was clearly a nutter and I doubt he would have had any qualms about doing some damage to me and/or my car had he got the chance...
The name of the company he worked for was clearly printed on the side of his van but I'm not interested in calling them because I don't want to get more involved with this guy.

Nick, even if you really don't want to, you must phone this company and send this idiot back to the dole queue where he belongs....

These f***wits really are a law unto themselves and need to be brought back into line. The amount of lorries, trucks and vans that because they are so called "professional" drivers that just abide by their own rules on the motorways is unreal. You know the sort of people, like you have just mentioned, speed up in the centre lane just so they can cut in front of you rather then end up one car length back if they had just fed in behind.

Whenever this happens and there is a number to call, i always do, sometimes you just get an answerphone and no other response, but i have had a letter before saying that following numerous complaints about this one guy from many people that they will be disciplining him.

You don't have to give your name and address to them, and its just possible, that yours could be the one complaint that gets the company moving to sort out this oik.

H

I agree with Howard. You don't have to give your details, so don't let him get awy with it.
Les

In the past, I used to pull over and confront individuals like this - sometimes resulting in fisticuffs :crazy: nowadays I am reluctant to get into a scrap because you never know whether they are carrying a knife or something.

It's great when you are on a motorbike bike however as you can hang back and wait till they stop at lights, then pull up alongside them nice and tight so they cant open their door. When they open the window to give you abuse, just reach in and grab their keys (easy to get to on a transit) and hurl them as far as you can into the nearest long grass or undergrowth.

Works like a charm & is very satisfying ......even more so when they are in the middle lane of a triple carriageway :devil:

Sp!ke - I like it.
PS What bike do you ride - will remember not to aggravate you.......
Dittrich, Howard - you're right. But I can't remember the details now and, pathetic as it may be, I just don't think its worth it.

nickg said:
Dittrich, Howard - you're right. But I can't remember the details now and, pathetic as it may be, I just don't think its worth it.

In the Cold Light of Day it often isn't worth it Mate. :crazy:

Put it down to experience and "Live" to drive another day on these mad roads of ours. ;)

Mate, at the end of the day, you're a successful guy with an SL60. He's a lowlife driving a white van for minimum wage and will never amount to anything. Although his behaviour annoyed you, I think you should have just pulled back and let him pass simply because of this reason: It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to you in the long run. Because you showed him up, it just gives him the incentive to (and you're right) try and mess up your car. He doesn't care, worst comes to worst, he'll get fired and get a job somewhere else doing the same thing. Meanwhile, you've got the hassle and bother of having to restore something you love (assumed), not to mention the expense of it all.

I've been driving through town on a Friday night, close to when the pubs close, and several times these idiot teens just walk out into the middle of the road, knowing I'm coming towards them along with traffic behind me, and cross the road at the slowest possible speed looking at me. Why? Because that's what they're like, maybe it's how they've been brought up... Who cares? They're looking for some sort of reaction. Now I'm not one to fold over, I'm the sort of guy that stands my ground. But seriously, they're out of the road in 5-10 seconds, and I drive off, knowing I'm better than them simply because I didn't rise to their pathetic 'tests'. As long as they don't touch my car, I couldn't care less. It's the same sorta thing. This guy was an ass, and unless you're part of the Bloods or Crips, he ain't gonna think twice about starting any sort of trouble if you irritate him, regardless of wether he was in the wrong or not. But still, glad to hear you got away safely. :)

Classic incident happened to me on Sunday.

Built up area, busy road, slow moving traffic, lots of pedestrian lights. "Dual" carriageway. Left hand lane for turning left, and straight ahead, right hand lane for turning right, and straight on.

I happened to be in the RH lane going straight on, as had pulled out to pass a stopped car. Anyways, approach lights, half a second before I cross the lights, car infront indicates right, and decides he's gonna turn. Nowhere to go in left lane, so ABS & BAS engaged very rapidly !! By this time, lights have changed back to red, and car in front stuck in middle of junction , me stopped behind him.

Car behind me decides to get upset, and hoots! I briefly hoot back, telling him to shut up, as there's clearly nowhere for me to go! Chap behind engages horn and proceeds to continue hooting long loud and angrily (obviously jealous of my car!)

Two beat coppers on pavement spot him, and saunter into road, either side of his car, just as lights are changing to green. I pull off across junction and watch in RVM as they ask him to step out of the car ..... hehehe.

That'll teach him !!

S.

Two beat coppers on pavement spot him, and saunter into road, either side of his car, just as lights are changing to green. I pull off across junction and watch in RVM as they ask him to step out of the car ..... hehehe.

That'll teach him !!

Nice !!!! :devil:

Iyse said:
I've been driving through town on a Friday night, close to when the pubs close, and several times these idiot teens just walk out into the middle of the road, knowing I'm coming towards them along with traffic behind me, and cross the road at the slowest possible speed looking at me. Why? Because that's what they're like, maybe it's how they've been brought up... Who cares? They're looking for some sort of reaction. Now I'm not one to fold over, I'm the sort of guy that stands my ground. But seriously, they're out of the road in 5-10 seconds, and I drive off, knowing I'm better than them simply because I didn't rise to their pathetic 'tests'. As long as they don't touch my car, I couldn't care less. It's the same sorta thing. This guy was an ass, and unless you're part of the Bloods or Crips, he ain't gonna think twice about starting any sort of trouble if you irritate him, regardless of wether he was in the wrong or not. But still, glad to hear you got away safely. :)

Some years ago three lads did this to me one Saturday afternoon in a busy market town. The pedestrians all stopped crossing the road and I proceeded through at a slow speed.
The three sauntered off the pavement to make me stop, presumably thinking this would make them look cool.

They picked the wrong car, and looked real idiots jumping out of the way at the last moment.

They were really mad and came running after the car but hey, I bet they didn't do it again for a while. :bannana: :bannana:

Dieselman said:
They picked the wrong car, and looked real idiots jumping out of the way at the last moment.

Wow man! :D That was well brave of you. I'd be scared I'd end up hitting them and snapping my badge off. :eek:

It is the public highway. So you will always get to experience an unfiltered cross section of road users complete with the more appalling elements of our great society, the nutters, aggressive losers and the plain stupid. i.e everyone that you would normally take care to avoid.

Now the worst experience I have ever had was when I was actually driving a hired white van!

Going down a single lane contraflow leading to a roundabout doing the 40mph limit when an Audi starts flashing me. Ignored him and when we get to the roundabout he pulls in front, jumps out and starts shouting and hitting the van with a large MagLite torch breaking one of the headlights, cracking windscreen and causing some nasty dings. Why? Because he was clearly off his head and I had been "holding him up".

Self & mate got out to express our considerable displeasure and he legged it back to car after having cunningly thrown torch at us.

Called the police on the mobile. Police turned up & told us of a string of earlier calls made concerning his other lunatic antics earlier that afternoon. He was arrested soon after following a shunt in which he suffered a broken arm (shame it was not his neck) and a number of others were injured.

A range of witnesses, self included, all set to give evidence in court if required but he pleaded guilty to a huge string of RT and Public Order offences. No insurance of course. Amazingly no previous, so given a hefty fine, banned, ordered to pay compensation to Mr Avis and others. Limited Community Service order only because he had agreed to participate in rehab. for his habits and undergo treatment as he was suffering from a "personality disorder"

About three months later somebody with the same name and of the same age was reported in the local press as having killed himself and passenger after going off the road at speed and wrapping car sideways round a large tree.

Iyse said:
Mate, at the end of the day, you're a successful guy with an SL60. He's a lowlife driving a white van for minimum wage and will never amount to anything.

Kinda broad generalisation there!

I drive a white van and I certainly don't work for anything near minimum wage.

I'm not saying that the WVM wasn't in the wrong in this case, but how many times have we pulled out in front of someone in your blind spot or whatever.

Remember, vans have HUGE blindspots especially if the have no rear windows. It's too easy to phone the number on the back of the van and complain. My employer has stopped putting the numbers on the vans but people are now visiting the website and e-mailing the MD!
I have the odd run in with the idiot car driver but what can I do about them? Nothing, can't even gesture to them after being nearly run off the road incase they complain.

Flash your lights, press your horn whatever but don't phone the company, it just wastes their time. They aren't going to sack him or give him a warning just a phone call to hear their side of the story then it's his word against yours.End of story.

And please don't assume that cos he drives a van during the day that he is some sort of scum. If we didn't have engineers, couriers etc driving them, the world would come to a stop rather quickly

Bazza

PS Nothing personal, just had a run in with a t0sser in a carrera turbo today who thought that I should let him in front of me even tho he was in the wrong lane and no-body was behind me.He got to within 2 inches of the side of the van at 30mph then decided it might be better to take his foot of the pedal for 1-2secs and pull in behind me

bazza said:
Kinda broad generalisation there!

And please don't assume that cos he drives a van during the day that he is some sort of scum.

Yes several people on this forum are van drivers/owners...and some scum own Porsches.

Iyse said:
Mate, at the end of the day, you're a successful guy with an SL60. He's a lowlife driving a white van for minimum wage and will never amount to anything.

I aggree with your point, as to what his problem was, but to say that a Whitevan man will never amout to anything is snobbery!

PJH said:
Yes several people on this forum are van drivers/owners...and some scum own Porsches.

Not all Porsche owners are Scumbags ;) . These debates could go on forever :D

I'm not having a dig at anyone - my Father owns and runs a number of business and also regularly drives a Sprinter Van and I also run a business of my own as well and have recently purcahsed a new white sprinter van for myself (which I take great pride in and I do my best to look after and keep clean just like I do with my MB car). I admit you do get luntaic van drivers but saying that they are all scum and low lifes is harsh and is generalising. I have had few incidents with motorists and just ignore them and they often get embarrased when the Sprinter takes off either keeping level with them or beating them off the line/mid range etc... due to the stacks of torque

I don`t mena to blow my own trumpet but my Father has done very well for himself and drives a white van on an everyday basis.

flash

Flash said:
. I have had few incidents with motorists and just ignore them flash

That Flash is the most sensible comment of this whole thread :) Sorry guys, life is to short, and far to valuable to get up tight over someone else's action. Laugh it off and carry on listening to Jimmy Young :)

Have a nice day,
John

At end of the day John its like you said “lifes too short…”. In past I have had my fair share but now try to avoid reacting full stop i.e. even sounding horn too aggressively (even if someone does cut you up… then let them and just carry on with your normal driving). At end of the day my priority is to look after myself and my vehicle and prevent it from being damaged (yes the van...).

A lot of people do generalise white van man and often I find I get cut up by other motorists all the time but it does not bother me as long as I get from A to B without any damage to my vehicle.

Flash

Far more relaxing to smile..... Why can't people get angry with 'Red Van Woman'? Why 'White Van Man'? :D

The way my wife drives makes me cringe :cool:

I can say tyhis because she is out at the moment :)

Nice speaking to you Flash and 'Take care out there'

Remember the horn is there to warn others of your presence. Lennox Lewis 'might' be the other driver (or the Kray Twins)

Regards to you all,
John

Safe motoring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom