Who adds any DPF cleaner to the fuel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair point . As many of you know I had dpf issues with my c250 and they came about using asda fuel during the lockdown. Being a key worker I fell for the 99p a litre
I have a E250 and use Tesco, surely supermarket fuel is the same as any other fuel station ?

I have a E250 and use Tesco, surely supermarket fuel is the same as any other fuel station ?

Most (though not all) fuels sold in the UK are made of the same base stock, with each fuel company mixing their own proprietary additives pack in the fuel. So it's a question of whether you believe that the additives pack that (say) BP use are in fact better than those that (say) Morrisons use.

Other key factors are contamination and storage. The advantages of cheap fuel outlets is that their fuel is likely to go fast so rarely stored for long periods reducing the probability of bacteria, sediment, and water contamination.

(Premium fuels will have more expensive additives which include more effective detergenrs and friction modifiers, and they are sometimes made from different stock fuels compared to standard fuels, but that's a separate discussion)

Could be coincidence, but car ran fine until this time. So who knows ?? 😁😁

Could be coincidence, but car ran fine until this time. So who knows ?? 😁😁
Then I suggest coincidence as find it hard to believe a few tanks of Tesco fuel would cause DPF probs, surely fuel manufactures don't make a special stripped down, non additive and basic barely conforming Diesel just for supermarkets ?

My ex swore that tesco made her petrol engine run like a pig, I'm not so sure.

Anyone recommend using the expensive 'super' diesel once in a while? Or is it a gimmick?

Then I suggest coincidence as find it hard to believe a few tanks of Tesco fuel would cause DPF probs, surely fuel manufactures don't make a special stripped down, non additive and basic barely conforming Diesel just for supermarkets ?

It was asda 😁😁

I’ve run a dpf equipped diesel since 2010.
First was a 2010 mondeo bought new and taken to 100k miles. Second is my current 2019 A6. On neither car have I ever used any additive or special premium fuel. Cars have been used Approx 50% town and short trips and 50% motorway. Never had any dpf issues. But the key is to ensure they get a good long motorway blast regularly. Bought with the appropriate usage in mind I don’t think you need to worry about the dpf too much. I never have given it much thought to be honest.

Re premium fuels... there's no proof that it prevents DPF issues as such... but given that DPF issues are a risk for cars with low annual mileage, it is probably prudent to use premium fuels, because the overall annual difference in cost won't be high. Our Diesel car did between 1,000 and 1,500 miles annually during the 5 years that we owned it, and I worked-out that the 'penalty' for using premium fuel was about £100 per year, which is not unreasonable if it (potentially) helps protects against costly repairs.

Premium diesel !

There is marketing there as you don't even get to know what has actually gone into make so called 'super' diesel , unlike petrol with it's disclosed Octane number difference between std and premium to reduced pre ignition and has a positive effect especially on forced induction

Diesel has the opossite problem as it doesn't ignite well so the Cetane number is ment to come up with premium diesel enhanced by
2-EHN which reduces the delay resulting in less unburnt diesel fuel molecules for a dpf to deal with .
But alas there is no Cetane number disclosure on the pumps..

It's more about the prevention of soot rather than some chemical surviving combustion and miraculously cleaning the dpf .

Personally I don't get ripped off at the pumps and add my 2-EHN at just 36p per tank and whatever cocktail you wish simply and extremely easily with pre made up empty 250ml Redex bottles .

Adding the half bottle dose of a Redex fuel system cleaner is just £1 per tank .

Don't get ripped off guys .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's always the dilemma... companies (not just fuel providers) tend to compete for prices at the bottom of the market and compete for quality at the top end.

So you'll get a good price on their entry-level product, but the price-for-value ratio quickly diminishes as soon as you opt for their more-upmarket products.

The obvious issue is that price is a very simple and clear metric, accurate to the penny... but quality is a different story, very difficult to measure in absolute terms, and relies heavily on marketing blurb.

So you pay more, and you get fuel that is 'better', but by how much is it better? There's no objective way of evaluating it. Well, there is, take a number of new engines, divide them into several groups, feed one group with premium fuel from one supplier, the other with premium fuel from another, and feed the control group with standard fuel (but from which supplier...?), run them on a bench rig for the equivalent of (say) 30,000 miles while simulating various road and driving conditions, then take the engines apart and examine their internal for any signifiant differences between the two groups. But I am not aware that anyone has done that for fuel. Or for fuel additives. Or for engine oil. Etc etc.

So in the meantime, when you buy premium fuel, what you are paying for is perceived value, and the only thing you can be 100% sure of is that the fuel suppliers are not competing on price at that end of the market, so regardless of whomever you choose to buy your premium fuel from, you will be paying over the odds compared to the value that you would get if you were buying a product at the lower end of the market.

And for anyone wanting to rub it in... I got amazing value when I bought my W204 Executive SE.... I really did. Of course, it did not have leather, pano roof, folding side mirrors, self-dimming mirrors, full-electric seats, heated front seats, ventilated front seats, COMAND, HK, TomTom Live Traffic, reverse camera, speed sign recognition, lane keep assist, blind spot assist, Distronic, ambient lighting pack, Keyless Go, flappy pedals, adjustable suspension, etc etc etc *)... second-hand cars that have these do exist, but once you are hunting for options and not value the dealers have you as a captive audience.

*) I did have some of these options professionally retrofitted by Comand UK 😎

In my , now long gone, Rover75, I would add a Cetane shot ( Millers) to a tank full. That car did not have a DPF and I was a little concerned about buying a new diesel that came with DPF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom