Who can explain gearboxes to me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
In a nutshell, can anyone explain the difference and which one is 'better' between Audi's Tiptronic and Multitronic boxes? Thanks Sunday folk:D

In a nutshell, can anyone explain the difference and which one is 'better' between Audi's Tiptronic and Multitronic boxes? Thanks Sunday folk:D

Audi ????? I have heard the name somewhere, I will do a search later and see what it means :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I know, a bit naughty, but I just couldn't warrant 'off topic'

Tiptronic is an ordinary autobox with a "manual" override - mulitronic is a CVT box - i.e. belt and pulleys....with electric ratios if you want to manually change ratios..

CVT is more efficient than tiptronic but cant be used in quattro systems or high torque engines 3.0 litres

Better than them both is the DSG box called S-tronic...this is the VW double clutch system only available on transverse engines A3 & TT

The multitronic is a CVT.

Tiptronic is a regular auto with a sell being made on the controls.

AUDI

All
U
Do
Is

want a merc...............:bannana:

You boys-I don't know....always there with the humour!!

Tiptronic is an ordinary autobox with a "manual" override - mulitronic is a CVT box - i.e. belt and pulleys....with electric ratios if you want to manually change ratios..

CVT is more efficient than tiptronic but cant be used in quattro systems or high torque engines 3.0 litres

Better than them both is the DSG box called S-tronic...this is the VW double clutch system only available on transverse engines A3 & TT

Ummm...it seems all the Audi A4 3.0L quattros are Tiptronic but the 3.0L non quattros are Multitronic. So which gearbox is nicer to drive with?

Ummm...it seems all the Audi A4 3.0L quattros are Tiptronic but the 3.0L non quattros are Multitronic. So which gearbox is nicer to drive with?

Can't say about the Audi because I haven't driven it.

However I think as usual I would suggest that you try before buying.

My wife had a CVT MGF for five years. Almost everybody who never had one would kind of pull a face at the concept. Journalists tend to despise it.

It felt different. When you put your foot down the engine would sit at constant RPM and the transmssion would accelerate the car by varying the ratio. Typically it would sit around peak torque or peak power depending how hard the car was being pushed. It was smooth. It was fast (despite the idiot writers' comments to the contrary) without having to be pushed hard in traffic or on difficult roads because the transmission was always applying power to the driving wheels and the engine speed was kept near optimum.

I think the concept is great.

Multitronic is supposed to be more fuel efficient but it's torque capacity is limited.
I once drove a 2.5 A6 and the gearchanges where pretty fast in manual mode

Try both ...

I had an A6 2.4 multironic -- it was fine...took a little getting used to the engine note increasing then the car catching up....but multitronic is far more fuel efficient...

A tiptronic has a torque converter so losses some effeciency. This was once explained to me as such....

Imagine a cup of tea on a saucer. Stir the cup fast with a spoon and eventually the cup will move on the saucer...that is the theory behind a torque converter...

Multitronic is the belt and pulley system - I think invented by DAF...

DSG is twin clutches selecting cogs --so as u take off in 1st - 2nd is engaged and ready to go...

I hope that helps - but I am sure there are more more technically qualified who can elaborate

A colleague of mine has an A6 2.5 diesel with the CVT box. His has the apparently very common fault where when driving at a steady speed on a light throttle the revs rise a little and then drop back down to normal. Then it happens again. And again. And again. Later boxes have more clutch plates in the pack. Oh, and it only costs about £4.5k to have repaired :eek:

Thanks for the replies....Me thinks me likes the sound of a 'normal' autobox.

DSG or S tronic in Audi speak is great, a very nice box although its not know for its smoothness in trafic, it can be a little jerky. The A3 comes with paddles, the A4 its an option, but if you find one with cruise or MFSW then they can be retrofitted along with the help of VAG com. Multitronic is far from reliable, if looking for one make sure it has had the oil change at 40k, anything above and its likely to fail and Audi won't help you, the early cars were 6 speed but later are 7, the 7 clutch can be retrofitted when it fails which is around the 60k mark. As already pointed out the high torque unit is the conventional auto and is 6 speed and found on all quattros, the DSG is 6 speed and only the 3.2 is available with quattro and DSG the TDi is 2wd only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom