Who else saw Vulcan XH558 this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
The last airworthy Vulcan in the world did a UK tour this weekend, before permanent retirement later this month. We went over to Farnborough (thanks to GordonTarling for the reminder!) and ended up in line with the runway, more or less directly under the flightpath. Not so good for pictures but BTB Junior (age 7) enjoyed it!

Who else managed to catch this magnificent aircraft as it went past?

The last airworthy Vulcan in the world did a UK tour this weekend, before permanent retirement later this month. We went over to Farnborough (thanks to GordonTarling for the reminder!) and ended up in line with the runway, more or less directly under the flightpath. Not so good for pictures but BTB Junior (age 7) enjoyed it!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BillG/media/Planes/IMG_47892 small_zpskq38vqqa.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BillG/media/Planes/IMG_47901 small_zps4aohuu28.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BillG/media/Planes/IMG_47911 small_zpsu3rg5d95.jpg.html

Who else managed to catch this magnificent aircraft as it went past?

I have the pleasure of seeing it everytime it goes out and returns as we are on the flightpath to its home base of Finningley.

As I've posted before the sound of those engines are addictive and awesome piece of British engineering

I was on Aerobilitys stand at both Dunsfold and Shuttleworth when the Vulcan gave 10 minute displays. Absolutely awesome. It is a crying shame that she can no longer be supported and this piece of aviation history will no longer be seen flying.

flango said:
I have the pleasure of seeing it everytime it goes out and returns as we are on the flightpath to its home base of Finningley. As I've posted before the sound of those engines are addictive and awesome piece of British engineering

I always used to take my touring caravan to the air show at Finningley. Park for the weekend, a few pints in the naafi on Friday night, then BBQ on Saturday while watching the traffic jams slowly pull out the gate.

A few years ago a Vulcan did a low pass followed by a storm climb. Sensational. The ground vibrated like an earthquake.

Southport Air Show a couple of weekends ago hosted the Vulcan in formation with the Red Arrows. As I got into my car the Vulcan passed the end of our street doing a lazy (but noisy) roll. We won't see another aircraft like it.

Watched it fly over Bicester - got there 20 mins before it was due which was a good idea as it was 19 mins and 30 seconds early :D

Sad to see her go, as we live on the edge of a no fly zone they routed her south of Salisbury Plain and we missed her. At one point she was using RAF Lyneham before it closed and we often saw and heard her.

Apparently there are some guys with £150m to spend getting a concorde back into the air, no that would be a good replacement for the vulcan

Actually flew over our garden, awesome!

When the Vulcan was introduced planes like the Lancaster bomber were still in use, it must have seemed an incredible leap into the future.

Didn't get to see her yesterday but got these a while back

IMG_H2684.jpg

IMG_H2670.jpg

I was at Wellesbourne yesterday to watch XH558.

It made two flypasts then it went. All too quick.

Watched her from the golf course yesterday after she left Gravesend on her way down the Medway. Very low and gone all to soon.

Out for a walk around Wadesmill and High cross, Herts yesterday and whilst reading a plaque to Arthur Martin-Leake (double vc) o/s the church the Vulcan flew over the top of us. Spectacular old girl.

I tried to see XH558 at East Midlands Airport on Saturday - thousands turned out and traffic/parking in Castle Donnington was awful. Ran about a mile from the nearest on street parking to the viewing point near the aeropark with my son so as not to miss it - unfortunately a light aircraft got in the way as it approached!! Just saw a silhouette in the distance as it turned away! Why did ATC let a slow moving prop aircraft approach in front of the Vulcan which was obviously faster and caught up with it (there were several commercial jets sat on the taxi ways/circling nearby waiting)?!? Apparently they did a fly past (not originally planned) yesterday but I only found out about it from the Twitter page saying they were on approach - I though they were going to head back up over Newark after the tour of the south!! Shame....did see it at Farnborough in 2008 but would have liked to have seen it in the air again.

I just posted elsewhere , but what a fitting finish it would be if she could come up and finish off yesterday's failed demolition job on Glasgow's Red Road flats !

I only live 5 miles away in Camberley and didn't know or see/hear her.
Blast it.

Did not getting see her this weekend, but did see her sitting on the apron as we took off from RobinHood today. Looked as elegant as ever

I was at Middle Wallop on Sunday and had a great view! It came right over the top of us, banked hard, at about 500 ft. It did one complete circuit, then opened the taps and climbed away - magnificent!

Attachments

• P1000738_edit.jpg
    P1000738_edit.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
Last ever flight happening shortly then its game over on 1st November, a great shame but a credit to all that made her fly again. Real Engineers, makes you proud to be British :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom