Who has the biggest private car collection in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)

I thought it was James Hull, with his collection of 543 remarkable British cars, but it seems that he sold it to Jaguar Land Rover three years ago.

Anyone know who has got the biggest now?

And I'm not asking by value, or exotica, just quantity. (So that rules out JK, Nick Mason, Chris Evans etc.)

Here's the James Hull collection in its glory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udFVt1w5Kg

article-2672918-1EB1250900000578-382_634x303.jpg

Lord Montagu ?

Or the Haynes manual chappie , with his museum ?

Surprisingly short video given the maker and subject. Absolutely beautiful collection. Hard to imagine how much time, effort and money sent into building and maintaining it.

Although a fraction of that, the house we are in the process of buying is owned by a lady, said the agent, whose husband had a collection of 100 cars that they took to Spain when they moved there! It aroused my curiosity: what cars? where were they stored? (I'm imagining hangars) etc..

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Haynes: 400 / Lord Montagu 250

So Haynes has 400 cars and Lord Montagu 250.....

Any more bids?

Lord Montagu ?

In 1992 I photographed him (for a well-known PR group), testing a prototype of the first commercially available automotive GPS satnav, on his 1911(?) Daimler, at the start of that year's London-Brighton Veteran Car Run.

It was a huge thing with a green display, and he remarked that, however amazing the technology might be, it's no substitute for one's brain ... remarkable foresight!

There's some chap in Wiltshire who owns 80+ Peugeot 205/306s including afaik 95% of all remaining RHD 306 Roland Garros Cabriolets, so he must have some sort of record (and presumably OCD too) :)

Or even a collection of largest private parts :D

Peugeot collector is James Hull

There's some chap in Wiltshire who owns 80+ Peugeot 205/306s including afaik 95% of all remaining RHD 306 Roland Garros Cabriolets, so he must have some sort of record (and presumably OCD too) :)

The Peugeot collector is James Hull. 543 cars at his disposal and his favourite is the Peugeot 306 convertible. Here's the story - together with him describing a few cars on video:

The man who built a £110m car collection on flunking his A-levels.. working as a mechanic... night school... and surviving cancer - Wales Online

Last edited:
The Peugeot collector is James Hull. 543 cars at his disposal and his favourite is the Peugeot 306 convertible. Here's the story:

The man who built a £110m car collection on flunking his A-levels.. working as a mechanic... night school... and surviving cancer - Wales Online

Good grief, there's two of 'em then!

The one I know of owns an ex-airfield in Wiltshire, and he's stuffed all the hangers with old Pugs. He's a little older and skinnier than the guy in the picture, and showed me round a few of his hangers when I dropped some parts off to him, which was an eye-opener to say the least.

Two people in love with Peugeots convertibles?

I stand corrected. Good grief. Two people who love 206 convertibles?

Whoever next?

columbo%20with%20peugeot_0.jpg

Think it'd quite suit Columbo :)

roland_zps3r9fck1k.jpg

The Peugeot collector is James Hull. 543 cars at his disposal and his favourite is the Peugeot 306 convertible. Here's the story - together with him describing a few cars on video:

He's a character! That description of his illnesses was remarkably graphic. Quite something for a dentist to amass a £150m collection from scratch, especially as he said in a video posted he's only sold 5 or 6! Kudos to the man. Any one know where that collection went?

Each building is themed with different music playing in each. Jaguars, Rolls-Royces, Bentleys, Minis, Triumphs, Austins, Alfa-Romeos, Allards, Maseratis and Jensens stretch out in luxurious rows. He even has five Gilberns – sports cars hand made in Pontypridd.
Themed music as well as those beauties. Class.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

What I find a tad sad, in most of the 'collections', whilst it is great the cars are saved and kept in pristine condition. They are, to some extent, lost to the world to see on the road. Yes I know that there is a good chance that they well may have been lost, full stop. But it would lovely to think that we could see these cars on the road being driven (as was intended). I have no idea how that works and maybe it just does not, but I still remember as a child goimg on a school trip to Glasgow Museum/Collection and standing with my mouth open looking at bicycles that I wanted to own, but we could not afford to and cars that I knew my mother loved but never drive, knowing that they would never turn a wheel but just sit in perpetuity, being dusted and occasionally polished but never actually giving anybody any true pleasure of riding or driving them.

Ahhh...

What I find a tad sad, in most of the 'collections', whilst it is great the cars are saved and kept in pristine condition. They are, to some extent, lost to the world to see on the road. Yes I know that there is a good chance that they well may have been lost, full stop. But it would lovely to think that we could see these cars on the road being driven (as was intended). I have no idea how that works and maybe it just does not, but I still remember as a child goimg on a school trip to Glasgow Museum/Collection and standing with my mouth open looking at bicycles that I wanted to own, but we could not afford to and cars that I knew my mother loved but never drive, knowing that they would never turn a wheel but just sit in perpetuity, being dusted and occasionally polished but never actually giving anybody any true pleasure of riding or driving them.

Ahhh...

Beaulieu (Lord Montagu's place) does keep quite a few of them as 'drivers' and occasionally sell off / return cars to their original owners. I remember when I was little the one and only Triplex Scimitar was on display in the main hall (it was the prototype for the SE5, given to Prince Philip). That's now in private hands and was driven on the road for a while.

After being unable to sell a really nice 306 cabriolet, my wife took the scrappage dollar in 2010....

I thought it was James Hull, with his collection of 543 remarkable British cars, but it seems that he sold it to Jaguar Land Rover three years ago.

Anyone know who has got the biggest now?

And I'm not asking by value, or exotica, just quantity. (So that rules out JK, Nick Mason, Chris Evans etc.)

Here's the James Hull collection in its glory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udFVt1w5Kg

article-2672918-1EB1250900000578-382_634x303.jpg

I guess we all overlooked the most obvious answer : Arnold Clark !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom