Who has the M276 Engine (3498cc V6 306bhp)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

I've seen little or no chat about the M276 engine here, and indeed MB seem to be dropping it from some of their models. It's no longer available for the C-Class saloon (like mine) and I can't see it for the new E-Class. Who else has this lovely engine in their car? What are your opinions of it?

I look forward to the lengthy thread that follows;) C350 V6s are very rare indeed.

I look forward to the lengthy thread that follows;) C350 V6s are very rare indeed.
Indeed they are. And C350s with the M276 engine are rarer still. The engine is still available in the C coupe but not the saloon or Estate for some reason. And as far as I can tell it's not in the E-Class or ML either (both having a smaller lower-powered BlueTECH version). But it is available in the CLS, SLK and SL - so presumably only aimed at the sportier cars now.

I forgot to mention that the S-Class also comes with the M276 engine as an option.

And I've just spotted that the "350 BlueTECH" is only a diesel - so not a real engine, but they're too embarrassed to use the CDI suffix any more!

As I suspected not exactly a rush of takers for your search Knighterrant. As far as I know from MBClubs' 80,000 members you have the only C350 Sport and I have the only C350 Elegance :( :)

These petrol V6s are an underrated form of propulsion IMHO.

At worst they use a third more fuel than their diesel V6 counterparts (and I suspect most of the time it is lower than this), the fuel they do use is cheaper, they don't have any of the turbo/bearing/DPF issues, sound great and absolutely fly when requested.

These petrol V6s are an underrated form of propulsion IMHO.

At worst they use a third more fuel than their diesel V6 counterparts (and I suspect most of the time it is lower than this), the fuel they do use is cheaper, they don't have any of the turbo/bearing/DPF issues, sound great and absolutely fly when requested.

Quite right! You don't see many 350 CLS's either. A couple of people have been out in my car for a "proper" drive and have been shocked how fast these cars go. The mid range is madness. People need to stop seeing 3500cc V6 and then thinking big fuel bills and instead see the silky smooth drive in cruising mode and the performance on tap when needed.

is this the engine that is fitted in the R172 SLK350 and the R231 SL350?

The M276 [ and related M278 V8 ] is a completely different engine from the M272 Main difference being its a 60 degree design which obviates the need for a balancer shaft. Its related to the Chrysler Pentastar V6 design developed before "THE DIVORCE"
Reasonable article here WITH SOME NICE CUTAWAYS. Mercedes-Benz New V6 and V8 Engines are More Powerful and More Efficient | eMercedesBenz
New_V8_Engine_13_medium.jpg

ps the reason you don't see it in some UK models is once more a reflection of MB UK's policy of not offering their UK customers the full range of MB engines that are available in other markets.

Interesting timing chain tensioner arrangement also!
New_V8_Engine_11_medium.jpg

Last edited:
Yes the M276 is the 306bhp version the M272 version is 272bhp.

The M272 CGI puts out 292bhp, I think due to different injector setup.

Here's a picture of the head showing the direct injector setup. To tell the truth everytime I hear the word direct injection nowadays I get a little nervous. Obviously the pressures involved are much less than diesel but metering fluids through exceedingly narrow orifices into the "cauldron of fire" that is the cylinder head of the internal combustion engine is always going to be fraught!!
#
mercedes-vee-engines_be_001-10440.jpg

I have this engine in an E350 coupe. Nearly two years old and I have been really pleased with it.

Very smooth, powerful and good economy. No comparison to the diesel.

LOL. According to Autocar 350 petrol mercs do 50-70 in 3.3 seconds. That is astonishingly fast.......go and check some 50-70........

All DI petrol engines have suffered in this respect, Mazda, Mitubishi, VW.

The basic issue is that the petrol hasn't been evaporated on the back of the inlet valve, so fails to mix properly before combustion and given the very high NOX values and combustion temperatures, it causes carbon buildup.
EGR has been incorporated to reduce NOX, but this then filths up the intake system and inlet valves.

Interesting.

Seems to be other manufacturers having issues with DI. Only read the first couple of pages but MBs implementation seems more robust - at least I haven't read about any issues on Mercedes.

Didn't realise MB launched these DI engines in 2003 on the W203. Long enough for any potential problems to make themselves known I would think.

Ran from 2003 to 2005 I believe -never available in the UK.

DE18ML (271.9XX)

This engine had the same dimensions as E18ML and almost the same features, but used CGI (Stratified Charged Gasoline Injection) gasoline direct injection. It has been produced since 2003 in only one version, with an output of 170 PS (125 kW) at 5300 rpm. The production ceased in 2005.

Applications:

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sportcoupé C 200 CGI
2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W203) C 200 CGI
2003 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class (W209) CLK 200 CGI

German WIKI translation seems to imply ONLY TOP FUEL 98 RON COULD BE USED and no biofuel ethanol content greater than 5%

M 271 with direct injection

Announced at the launch of the M 271, the launch of the M 271 [cgi version] has been postponed due to technical problems mid-2003. [4] First, as the C 200 CGI in the (C-Class) offered, the M 271 EN 18 ML was also used in the CLK 200 CGI (C/A209).

In this engine, a fuel injector at an angle of 42 degrees and at a pressure of 50 to 120 bar is injected (according to the operating state) in the cylinder, where the fuel is a mixture cloud with the air. This is done by specially shaped piston bowl to the spark plugs. The CGI engine has two separate intake ports, each of which is also equipped with an adjustable swirl control valve. In this way, turbulence is generated in the intake air, which makes the combustion process efficiently. The injection pressure is generated by a high-pressure fuel pump. This is driven by the intake camshaft.

Notwithstanding the works of the other M 271 engines here, the engine control Siemens SIM 4 LDE, which has been extended to specific functions, such as regulating the pressure in the fuel line. In partial load operation, with a mean pressure of four to five bar, and at low speeds, the injection works in the stratified charge method. The fuel is injected in this case relatively late into the air compressed by the piston. This results in the spark plug it an ignitable mixture, while the rest of the combustion chamber is a lean, hard ignitable mixture. Outside this range of direct-injection engines with common catalyst for air-fuel mixture (lambda 1) is operated. The resulting NOx in the lean operation is filtered by a NOx storage catalyst.

As fuel type Super Plus is prescribed E5 (98 RON), a refueling with Super E10 (RON 95) or normal E10 (RON 91) is even in exceptional cases not possible because the model can not be operated with a bioethanol blending of more than 5 percent [5].

Throughout the construction phase of the direct injection engine was only available with the 6-speed manual transmission. [6] In 2005 the engine was taken out of the sales program.

Last edited:
Ran from 2003 to 2005 I believe -never available in the UK.

The production ceased in 2005.

There was a reason for that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom