Who has the M276 Engine (3498cc V6 306bhp)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mercedes-vee-engines_be_001-10440.jpg

Don't quite understand what I'm looking at here. The lobes of the cams appear to act directly perpendicular to the rocker arm pivot points. How's the lever effect of a cam working there?

The cam pivots on the hydraulic tappet, not in the centre.

Druk what you are seeing as the "cam pivot" is the roller assembly the cam bears on. bit like this viewed from a different angle
tfs-51800510_w.jpg

Last edited:
Some Chinese derived detailed documentation on the new engine - don't worry its in English! ??M276?M278??????? - ??? Give it time to load then click on the button at the top left hand bar to blow it up to full screen.

Xie xie :thumb:

I think that's Mandarin Chinese for thank you.

I've a 350 in my R231. It's a great engine :cool::bannana:

Indeed they are. And C350s with the M276 engine are rarer still. The engine is still available in the C coupe but not the saloon or Estate for some reason. And as far as I can tell it's not in the E-Class or ML either (both having a smaller lower-powered BlueTECH version). But it is available in the CLS, SLK and SL - so presumably only aimed at the sportier cars now.

Spot on I believe. And despite aiming it only at the "sportier" cars, MB have killed the C350 Coupe sales by not offering the sport plus and hence amg handling pack options, which are oddly reserved only for the 204bhp C250

But it is available in the CLS, SLK and SL - so presumably only aimed at the sportier cars now.

Spot on I believe. And despite aiming it only at the "sportier" cars, MB have killed the C350 Coupe sales by not offering the sport plus and hence amg handling pack options, which are oddly reserved only for the 204bhp C250

They are only offering it in lower volume models to avoid polluting the high volume production lines with another engine configuration which will only be fitted to a very small number of cars.

They are only offering it in lower volume models to avoid polluting the high volume production lines with another engine configuration which will only be fitted to a very small number of cars.

It's purely a UK market driven phenomenon. Look at any of the C class configurator on MB websites all over Europe. [ try Sweden try Portugal etc] They are still offering the choice of the V6 engine in the saloon. Folks still don't seem to grasp just how much UK market choice is skewed compared to the rest of the world. Its MB UK accountants deciding for us -- the customer! -- what's best . :rolleyes:

Its MB UK accountants deciding for us -- the customer! -- what's best . :rolleyes:

If they had been able to sell any of these at a profit, they would be marketing them.
It's basic commercial sense.

Why don't you import say, 50 of these cars and try to sell them?

And yet----- all these other countries can apparently sell them in their home markets at a profit? :rolleyes:

And yet----- all these other countries can apparently sell them in their home markets at a profit? :rolleyes:

But MBUK don't sell in those countries. :doh:

Petrol engined cars don't sell well in the UK and have to be heavily discounted.

Ultimately V6 petrol engined cars don't sell well in the UK because you can't buy em any more . :doh:Certainly in C or E class saloon and estate form. But I simply don't buy the "fields of unwanted V6 models" languishing somewhere in a compound in the South East scenario. :eek: Every car is virtually built to order on the production line. So why restrict potential MB customer choice in the UK? :confused: Have they never heard of the concept of brand dilution? How many sales have they lost to Jaguar and Land Rover because of this? :( Sure it may make sense to the bean counters in the short term but is it really a good thing for MB UK in the long run? I'm not sure of this "Never mind the quality feel the width" approach so popular in British business nowadays.:dk:

Hmmm.
Why not look up the numbers of C350 petrol sold and the number of diesels sold. Petrols make up a tiny fraction due to low demand.

Car companies are there to make money, they will sell whatever they can make money at.

I reckon no 350 petrol in C class or E class or CLS class is because we are a RHD market .. lot lower volume to justify the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom