Who has the M276 Engine (3498cc V6 306bhp)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I reckon no 350 petrol in C class or E class or CLS class is because we are a RHD market .. lot lower volume to justify the effort.

It was an engine option, so any development (which I can't see as there is no turbo), had already been done.

Lack of sales saw it removed from the options list.

It was an engine option, so any development (which I can't see as there is no turbo), had already been done.

000.png

Still very very strange that they continue to offer it in the C Coupe, but pair it with only the standard (not very V6 Coupe-like) handling option. Makes no sense, either pull it completely or offer it properly for what it is - the 2nd best (and 2nd most expensive) car in the range after the C63. I would have bought one before they pulled dynamic handling and did not replace it.

Last edited:
Yet Dolomite Brown paint remains on the options list! How many of them have they sold? (Is Stevie Wonder allowed to drive?)

Hmmm.
Why not look up the numbers of C350 petrol sold and the number of diesels sold. Petrols make up a tiny fraction due to low demand.
Because the UK market consists of a gullible public who fall for the diesel hype.

Interesting thread, its frustrating that Mercedes dont offer a mild AMG to match the BMW 335I F30 and the 2013 Audi S4.

I am keen to move to a petrol again but the C63 would be to expensive for my personal day to day use.

Unless I am wrong? I guess knighterrants version of the C350 is the only option in terms of power, performance, costs.... but you can get hold of them!

Because the UK market consists of a gullible public who fall for the diesel hype.

I agree to this statement to a point.

The reason for my choice was simply, I needed a car which cover the following: C250CDI.

* 18,000 miles a year

* Under 7 second car with plenty of torque

* 30-40 MPG.

Not many petrol engine cars can offer that, unless we are talking new BMW stuff which was out of my budget.

Interesting thread, its frustrating that Mercedes dont offer a mild AMG to match the BMW 335I F30 and the 2013 Audi S4.

I am keen to move to a petrol again but the C63 would be to expensive for my personal day to day use.

Unless I am wrong? I guess knighterrants version of the C350 is the only option in terms of power, performance, costs.... but you can get hold of them!

Nail on the head sir

That's EXACTLY why I bought it. I wanted lots of performance capability from a smooth V6 without the harsh ride and expense of the C63. As a bonus it's also relatively cheap to insure and tax whilst giving a respectable 31.7 mpg average so far.

My only disappointment with the M276 engine is that it's not as quiet as its predecessor at tickover when listened to from the outside. The direct injectors sound a tad like tappets that aren't quite at their best. Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as every diesel engine!

That's EXACTLY why I bought it. I wanted lots of performance capability from a smooth V6 without the harsh ride and expense of the C63. As a bonus it's also relatively cheap to insure and tax whilst giving a respectable 31.7 mpg average so far.

My only disappointment with the M276 engine is that it's not as quiet as its predecessor at tickover when listened to from the outside. The direct injectors sound a tad like tappets that aren't quite at their best. Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as every diesel engine!

Different beast but my reasons for choosing the 3.5 V6 petrol in my used CLS were similar.

-A massive 292bhp compared with the 224bhp for the V6 diesel (although appreciate you can get the Brabus chip here albeit at additional expense to bring the diesel up to 270bhp).
-Only 20% more fuel consumption on paper, although in reality probably a bit more than this, albeit cheaper fuel.
-Less goes wrong on these than the similar period V6 diesel.
-Higher spec/lower mile examples for sale for equivalent money and less likely to have mileage interfered with.

Clearly the CLS55 / 63 is in a completely different league but also I felt a step too far in terms of overall expense (fuel/VED/insurance/brake parts etc). The number of times I would be able to use the full performance of a V8 in my usage would be very limited too.

My original usage was going to be around 8k miles PA but now looking like it will be 12k but even so I think petrol was the right choice.

As I'll no longer have the petrol option when I get my next car (prob a 3yo CLS SB) I guess I may have to make the switch to diesel then..

Last edited:

What are the quoted figures of the car? Performance, economy, tax etc?

Couldn't find much on the car to be honest.

What are the quoted figures of the car? Performance, economy, tax etc?

Couldn't find much on the car to be honest.
My 2012 C350 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport is:
306 hp (225 kW) @ 6,500 rpm 370Nm torque @ 3,500 - 5,250 rpm
0 - 62 mph 6.0 sec. Top speed 155 mph (electronically limited)
Urban mpg 29.4; extra-urban 50.4; combined 40.4 [Fairly meaningless figures of course; mine is averaging around 32mpg with a broad mix of mostly short town journeys interspersed with occasional long motorway runs.]
CO2 164 g/km on 18" wheels, so Band G tax (currently £175.00)

My 2012 C350 BlueEFFICIENCY Sport is:
306 hp (225 kW) @ 6,500 rpm 370Nm torque @ 3,500 - 5,250 rpm
0 - 62 mph 6.0 sec. Top speed 155 mph (electronically limited)
Urban mpg 29.4; extra-urban 50.4; combined 40.4 [Fairly meaningless figures of course; mine is averaging around 32mpg with a broad mix of mostly short town journeys interspersed with occasional long motorway runs.]
CO2 164 g/km on 18" wheels, so Band G tax (currently £175.00)

Lower tax band then my 2010 C250 cdi :doh::confused::eek:

I'm surprised the E400 isn't coming to these shores. It does seem to be quite an engine. As said before it is up there with the best BMW and Audi offerings. I guess that it will sell like hot cakes in the USA given how many E350 petrols you see over there.

The E350 petrol wasn't on my agenda when I changed cars. 266 lb/ft of torque at high RPM just seemed too low for a car as big as a S212.

Also I'm not sure that the less to go wrong thread is right.
3yrs and 60k miles in my E350 cdi and I had nothing go wrong.

I'm surprised the E400 isn't coming to these shores. It does seem to be quite an engine.

it is available in the facelift E class coupe and cabriolet.

latest Car magazine tested the E400 Coupe against the new BMW 435i and Audi S5 .. they loved the E400 engine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom