Who here is actually going to a live Olympic event

Are you going to see an event

• Yes

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 68.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am going to football at old trafford on Wednesday for morocco v Spain. Moroccan family, otherwise wouldn't have bothered going to any event. Especially as most of it is dahn sarf

I was offered some tickets from a friend, but I no longer go anywhere inside the M25, to busy for me. .

Just returned back from the North Greenwich Arena (by the O2) with my family having watched some of the Womens Gymnastics - and we had a great time - it was a fabulous atmosphere, well organised, the travel was slick and no problem.

Security was tight, I hadn't realised they had "parked" HMS Ocean just up from the O2 - which was very impressive as we took the river boat to the Arena - so lots of soldier and "airport" style security but no problems with DSLR equipment - lots of people had them, the tickets only mention if your lens is more than 12 inches then its a problem. (no jokes please...)

The presentation and venue were first class and I would thoroughly recommend it, particularly as I was a bit sceptical I must admit, I might even see if we can buy some more tickets if I can.

Nope.

Saw a bit of the cycle race last year, it was the test event for the real thing that happened last weekend. Remembered going to the GTG Dash organised that day, where I took the train, as all the roads were shut. It was all over in seconds.

2011-08-14092840.jpg

When the real thing happened last weekend, I went away on a east-west tour of Ireland (took train from Dublin to Galway, went to the Aran Islands) for a bit of peace and quiet from the Olympics.

Took my two boys (8 and 6) to the Jdo at Excel on Saturday. Shame that our under 48kg Female and under 65kg male failed to get through..:doh:

Both boys do Judo and loved the atmosphere. Really was a great event to see.

Also, must admit the organisation was great. Plenty of 'games makers' around to helpout who were pleasant and very hospitality lead. Made a point of high fiving my boys on many occasions.
Also, didn't see any G4S staff but plenty of army. To be honest, I am glad we are using them as felt much safer with them than a bunch of 2 week trained pretend security guards.....

My boys loved seeing the Army and they in turn took time to talk to my children too. Doubt that would happen with the G4S mob.

Wife is off to the Equestrian Dressage next week with our daughter and we are trying to get some tickets for a few other events now more have been released.

If you don't get tickets, I would still recommend goign down to the Olympic village and just soaking up the atmosphere and watching the big screens. all very impressive stuff.

Oh apart from being charged £8.90 for a warm, curled up piece of haddock and a handful of soggy chips.........:wallbash:

and of course you can't take your own lunch in...:crazy:

Off to watch the boxing Saturday at the excel. Think I will avoid the haddock!

If you don't get tickets, I would still recommend goign down to the Olympic village and just soaking up the atmosphere and watching the big screens.

Don't you need tickets just to get into the village?

Went to the Basketball in the Olympic park yesterday GB vs Russia- we lost!
Had a great day, security just like an airport, belt off and gear in a plastic tray, lots of stations so passed through in minutes although it was busy. Site is huge 150 acres and it took a half hour walk from the stadium area to the Basketball Arena. Great atmosphere and all officials very friendly. The whole park is landscaped beautifully and well managed, they were cleaning paths at 10.30 when we left. Lots of cafes, food areas and helpful assistants.
It is a fantastic chance to be part of a global event and like all venue visits when you view on TV it gives a better perspective. Only complaint was a plastic bottle 330ml of Heineiken lager is £4.30. I guess you are a captive audience since no liquids more than 100ml are allowed for security reasons. I would much prefer stringent security than lax for obvious reasons.
Transport was no problem and very well sorted, a great credit to the organisers. I viewed it as a lifetime chance to go to the Olympics and I am so pleased I attended.
Forgot to add that with the tickets a London transport ticket is issued for the day so you travel on any form of London Transport for free on the day of your ticket up to zone 9. We parked just off the M25 and took a tube in, spent some time in London and traveled to the park.

Last edited:
Have been to the diving today - seats in the gods and only a two hour slot but exciting nonetheless.

Attachments

• IMG_3966a.jpg
    IMG_3966a.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 40
I'm delighted there are thousands of people who are very happy to make the effort and go - after all it wouldn't be much of an event without them!
But for me, it's times like this when the Beeb's telly licence fee is worth every penny - you can choose any sport you like and watch fantastic coverage from your own living room...
Atmosphere? OK, you miss out on that but the price of atmosphere is teeming crowds, packed trains, aching bums, crap food at diabolical prices, personal restrictions, and exhaustion. I'm happy to give all that a miss, thank you.
But it's all a bit academic anyway - it was clear from the outset that the Olympics might as well have been on the Moon as in London for all the chance there was of getting a ticket...

Took the day off yesterday and took wife and kids to beach volleyball in Horseguards Parade. We were lucky with the weather - hot and sunny throughout. The actual games were fun. And I especially liked the dancers who came on during the various breaks;

Google Image Result for http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/30/article-0-144989E0000005DC-876_964x621.jpg

Happy to have taken the kids to something despite the near-impossibility of actually getting tickets in the first place.

Also went to the opening night concert in Hyde Park which was pretty good and went back the next afternoon to meet some friends with their kids. Watched GB Women's football on one of the big screens. The only downside there is that the food is pretty bad and they won't let you take anything in. Hey ho.

Going back there for the concert on the closing night, though, to see Blur - yey!

Now that we are well into the first week of this event, I can honestly say that rail travel to, from and in London is alot worse than normal. Trains are always packed to standing only and full of hyper kids screaming and making life in the carriages as bad as it can get. Nobody seems to know here to go and fill the pavements with meandering groups of lost people. I for one will be damn glad when this is all over and things return to a semblance of normality. To be yelled at by a spotty youth with a megaphone wearing a pink jacket to "have a nice day" is putting the cherry on top of the cake of hell.
May Lord Coe go forth and multiply many times.

Now that we are well into the first week of this event, I can honestly say that rail travel to, from and in London is alot worse than normal. Trains are always packed to standing only and full of hyper kids screaming and making life in the carriages as bad as it can get. Nobody seems to know here to go and fill the pavements with meandering groups of lost people. I for one will be damn glad when this is all over and things return to a semblance of normality. To be yelled at by a spotty youth with a megaphone wearing a pink jacket to "have a nice day" is putting the cherry on top of the cake of hell.
May Lord Coe go forth and multiply many times.

Signed.

Victor Meldrew.

Maybe, but traveling in and around London by train at the best of times is an unpleasant and VERY expensive pastime. Having it made worse does not enamor you to being told to make alternative arrangements - or leave an hour earlier.
I think many felt a certain empathy with some of the ideals that Victor Meldrew held. Some slightly extreme, but overall he had things right.

Having it made worse does not enamor you to being told to make alternative arrangements

Can't make head nor tail of this sentence - perhaps you can clarify? The reason people have been advised to make alternate arrangements, including adjusting travel times where possible, is precisely because the public transport system is inevitably going to be heavily used by people visiting the Games, yet you present the two propositions as though any connection between them were merely incidental. :confused:

Nobody's made the transport system "worse" - it's just that demand for certain services has increased beyond capacity for a couple of weeks. Plenty of warning was given of this, and people have had plenty of time to change their travel pattern if they were likely to be affected.

If your beef is that your service is overcrowded and you can't get a seat, surely travelling an hour earlier for a couple of weeks would solve the problem?

Don't you need tickets just to get into the village?

No. There is a £10 charge but you can walk around the Olympic park just not into the venues. they have huge TV screens that are broadcasting the events too. Great for soaking up some of the atmosphere.

I'm going with two mates to watch the boxing at ExCeL on Sunday night - mens bantam and heavy weight quarter-finals.

So pretty decent value for money I reckon as we'll get to see 8 fights across both weight divisions.

I'm getting right into the Olympics this time round - I think the red button access that the BBC have done is great as it means you can choose exactly what you want to watch. It's all I've watched since it started!

Off on Sunday to see the athletics, really looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom