Who knows about trees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, citizens.

I live in a flat overlooking the local park, owned by and backing onto the council headquarters. There's an assortment of mature trees in the park and it's generally quite pleasant to look at out of the living room window.

I'm not much into nature, but there was a magnificent copper beech in the park that I've grown quite fond of, given the fact that I've lived here 17 years. About 3 weeks ago, the council unexpectedly decided to fell it.

All the trees round here have TPOs on them, so presumably they've not done this without reason, but as it's always seemed healthy (best looking tree in the park by a country mile IMO), I find this quite irksome.

As the trunk is still laying there, I took some pictures this afternoon. We seem to have members with experience in all sorts of fields on here, so if we have any tree experts present, does this look diseased to you? As I said, it was felled about 3 weeks back and the weather hasn't exactly been great so it could have soaked up some moisture in the mean time.

Tree1_zps0349fb4e.jpg

Tree2_zpsbdeac6b5.jpg

Tree3_zps33c33b82.jpg

Cheers,

Gaz

They are a law amonst themselves, I have been trying for last seven years to get a tree removed from next doors garden which is dropping cedar neeadles to the extent that we can no longer have carpets and i have to clean my gutters every week or they are just rammed with needles. The tree is a real pain in the a$$.

However in the hospital across the road the council seems to be able just to fell any tree they want even though it has a presivation order on it.

Makes me sick.

Having spent 10years trying to get my local council to let me fell an Oak tree that was physically pushing against my garage I can tell you now they don't fell trees lightly ... In the end only legal action against them allowed me to dell it ..and even then it was all at my own risk....

Whilst these bits of the trunk might look ok there may well be other bits , roots etc and other branches which are indeed diseased....

A leaf probably fell on someone who sued, so they're taking the whole tree down as a precaution. Perhaps they were told they needed full time lifeguards at a beach, and got their spelling muddled.

I won't represent myself as an expert on beeches, but that looks fine to me. It is difficult to get the scale of the tree though - how tall was it?

Looks healthy enough, no spalting, no fissuring or cankers or anything obvious.
Phytophthera is a problem these days, but you see reddish-brown, oozing dead spots around the lower trunk with that.
Nice bit of lumber for someone...whereabouts are you?

You may be shocked to know that certain felled trees fetch a small fortune - a Sycamore was felled in our local park and because it had an unusual grain pattern,called fiddleback - it was sold to an Italian violin makers for over 20k ! - Some Oaks blew over at our old factory at Henley and the MD instructed that they be cleared off the car park,as soon as possible,no arguments- apparently he instructed builders to chop up the trees to clear the car park - which was a shame,because he was paid a visit by a Gentleman whom offered the company 32k - unfortunately - MD had rendered them into logs - I guess that is why he was the MD !

Have they not given you notice of the new motorway construction program yet...

Beautiful looking area by the way, lucky to be there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom