Who lives with an ML63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkynw

Car
BMW X4 335d MSport,MINI Countryman SD JCW, vivaro sport, nc30, cbr600rr
It's been 6 months since I moved the CLA on, I've not missed it much to be honest my current X4 ticks a lot of boxes and is definitely a better everyday car for us. Build quality is superb as is the performance, economy and creature comforts. That said I've REALLY wanted an ML63 for a long time. I definitely want 4x4 and luxury but I love big v8s too so the ML appeals on a lot of levels. I've been looking at 2013/14 5.5 models which are in my budget. It will only be used for running about in and weekend stuff so fuel shouldn't be a big issue unless they are difficult to keep above 10mpg? I've driven a c63 on my AMG day but it wasn't for me I definitely want that noise but in a 4x4.
Been looking at m50d X5s but if your going to pay big rfl it may as well be for what you really want. Any owners advice appreciated miles will be 4k a year if I ever keep anything that long....

Have a word with Bobby D. He'll give you the pro's & con's.

As far as I'm aware they say the 5.5 TT is the one to have in the ML.

The 6.2 n/a can disappoint some as the weight and engine are an odd mix.

You're looking above 10mpg with the turbo unit though. I'd expect to see mid 15's as I'd happily get 12/13 in my ml55 some years ago and I drove that hard.

Hi,
We've had a 2015 ML63 with the performance pack from brand new in May 2015.
Overall average fuel consumption over 65,000 km is 15.7mpg.
On a run to Dubai from Abu Dhabi on the motorway with cruise set at 125 km/h (78 mph) consumption is around 23mpg.
Eats rear brake pads - on 4th set already - I don't brake heavily but car is obviously using brakes a lot with the auto cruise control.
Eats tyres - replaced 10 tyres so far - on 21 inch wheels - so around £200 each.
Very fast - not much will beat it away from a traffic light drag race!
Two real niggles,
Firstly - dealer has never been able to fix intermittent problem with 360 camera system. Sometimes you put car in reverse and camera does not work.
Secondly - weird problem with engine hesitation if you coast to a near standstill approaching a roundabout and then apply throttle - nothing for a short while - then it gets going. This can catch you out in small gaps in traffic!
Same happens when you apply throttle as you go over a speed bump.
Much worse effect in Sport mode than Comfort. Problem seems to go away if you turn traction control off.
Any other questions - give me a shout!
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the interesting info..15mpg is a lot less than the 35mpg I'm getting from the X4 which is a quick car but less for obvious reasons. I drove a cayenne 4.8 gts last week about town plus a bit of motorway and managed 26mpg with gentle driving I imagined similar can be achieved in the ML if careful? As I say I don't do a lot of miles so consumables are not a big worry. The way it drives, the grin factor and the way it behaves and the experience on uk roads is what I'm interested in. The noise and drama are what my Beemer lacks and I love the ML looks, just need to be sure I won't be regretting a swap in weeks because of niggles it may have? I test drove a gle last year (350) and loved the interior so I assume the ML 5.5 should be even more refined. Need to find a test drive...

Thanks for the interesting info..15mpg is a lot less than the 35mpg I'm getting from the X4 which is a quick car but less for obvious reasons. I drove a cayenne 4.8 gts last week about town plus a bit of motorway and managed 26mpg with gentle driving I imagined similar can be achieved in the ML if careful? As I say I don't do a lot of miles so consumables are not a big worry. The way it drives, the grin factor and the way it behaves and the experience on uk roads is what I'm interested in. The noise and drama are what my Beemer lacks and I love the ML looks, just need to be sure I won't be regretting a swap in weeks because of niggles it may have? I test drove a gle last year (350) and loved the interior so I assume the ML 5.5 should be even more refined. Need to find a test drive...

Hi,
Petrol only costs about 30p a litre here - so we don't have any real incentive to drive our car in an economical way.
We only use Super unleaded and remember the aircon is working flat out here for 6 months of the year - saw 52 degrees C outside temperature the other day!
It is very good on fuel at motorway cruising speeds but not so good around town, in traffic jams.
Ours is officially 557hp - but the way it saw off a new M3 the other day suggests that these hand built engines might put out a bit more power than officially stated! - that was on a nice run from 0 to 235 km/h
The engine noise and up/down shift noises are very addictive in Sport mode!
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Exactly why would you worry lol, and that is of course what they are made for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom