Who Makes MB Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6BOY

Car
C220
Just wondering really does anyone know who makes Mercedes genuine engine oil?

The grey packaging looks decidedly "Mobil" to me, but I don't know if that means anything. - I suspect it's actually made by a few different companies, and it depends who the current preferred partner is.

Who sponsors the f1 team, it will be them. Is it petronas?

Petronas, according to Colindale parts counter.

As I said, I suspect it's all of the above. - It may even be market dependant (so Europe gets Fuchs and or Mobil whereas South East Asia gets Petronus).

Whoever will supply it cheapest to MB within specification?

Must be a lot of truth in this given how cheap some MB outlets have been selling it. One thing you can be sure of is that it's not a true fully synthetic oil as that's simply not possible at the price. It meets the spec though and that's all that matters.

Factory fill used to be someone other than Mobil or Petronas. Not sure who it is these days.

The real question is why does it matter? Anything that meets the spec required by MB will be fine.

I just get it from the dealer anyway as at £37 for 10 L delivered from merc I can’t complain!

If it meet's the spec...just make sure that it's changed regularly, and it will be fine.

Who sponsors the f1 team, it will be them. Is it petronas?

Petronas, according to Colindale parts counter.

Petronas have their own labelling though. They may sponsor the F1 team but I think the oil currently issued in 5l,10l and 20lt and bulk 45 gallon containers is another brand.

I don't think there's any way of knowing for sure.

Also, some tier-1 automotive manufacturers make items specifically to the car manufacturer's spec, e.g. the Varta batteries made by Johnson Controls for MB are only made under the Varta/MB labelling (you can't buy the exact battery directly from Varta) etc - so even if Petronas do make the oil for MB, it is quite possible that they don't market this specific bland under their own brand name.

So even if you knew the oil maker's name, it does not mean you could tell which oil exactly it is (other than the MB spec it meets).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom