Who needs a diesel when a V8 does this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Cruised back from Warminster to London yesterday. The V8 barely broke into a sweat, the sound system was great, the whole thing massively relaxing.

What amazed me was seeing 34.4 MPG as I left the M3. Managed to snap this when I hit some traffic in Teddington.

After that got snarled up because of Little Mix in Twickenham and something at Wembley. Ended up diverting via Shepherds Bush and taking a detour through Wetfield car park (don't ask,,,,).

Anyway ended up at 30mpg for the whole trip. Given that a 350 CDI many have done 45mpg on the same run it cost me an extra £6 each way. V8 tax is worth it as far as I am concerned.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/londonscottish-albums-212-e500-picture10821-mpg-2.jpg
londonscottish-albums-212-e500-picture10821-mpg-2.jpg

Impressive.

I agree, on an extended run keeping to the max allowed, 70 and 75, I can also get 34mpg. I too was well impressed.

Impressive.

I agree, on an extended run keeping to the max allowed, 70 and 75, I can also get 34mpg. I too was well impressed.

I had an unsually clear run all the way to Teddington.

The A303 was despatched a steady 60-70. The early part of the M3 was 70-80. The rest was 50-55 in the part with cameras.

It's also worth noting that the car was 4 up with a bootful of luggage.

The engine is remarkably efficient on small throttle openings.

That is definitely impressive, the most I am able to get from my CLS is 27mpg and that's at a steady 65mph. I don't consider that bad from 6.2 V8 but I still own a diesel because it does this if I'm steady...

A55E6F7C-CE2A-4BAB-A25F-26FB446036D4_zps8f6jmhfm.jpg

Picking my daughter up from her mums place cost me almost double in the CLS than the E! If I didn't have that mileage to do though (320 mile round trip) the CLS wouldn't be too bad.

Cruised back from Warminster to London yesterday. The V8 barely broke into a sweat, the sound system was great, the whole thing massively relaxing.

What amazed me was seeing 34.4 MPG as I left the M3. Managed to snap this when I hit some traffic in Teddington.

After that got snarled up because of Little Mix in Twickenham and something at Wembley. Ended up diverting via Shepherds Bush and taking a detour through Wetfield car park (don't ask,,,,).

Anyway ended up at 30mpg for the whole trip. Given that a 350 CDI many have done 45mpg on the same run it cost me an extra £6 each way. V8 tax is worth it as far as I am concerned.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/londonscottish-albums-212-e500-picture10821-mpg-2.jpg
londonscottish-albums-212-e500-picture10821-mpg-2.jpg

Clearly either your fuel gauge is faulty or your right foot has become paralysed. ;)

I came up from Wareham yesterday up the M3, and through London on the A316 and up through Shepherds Bush onto Scrubs Lane as well. They have messed with the lanes there now so it's not totally beyond comprehension you may have ended in Westfield Car Park.

I have a V6 diesel though did give a bit more MPG!

Sprite 9.jpg

Last edited:
What`s the little "coffee cup" symbol bottom left?

It tells you when the car thinks you need to take a break from driving. Pretty useless if you ask me, just like lane assist.

It is amazing what extra mpg you can get on a long steady journey with no stop/starting traffic. Most I've seen from my S8 is 24mpg and I'm not usually tight with the throttle, but I soon think 'I didn't buy a V10 to see decent mpg :D'

Did manage Essex to St Andrews via Edinburgh in one tank before and Essex to Nurburgring another time! 450 miles. Usually get roughly 300 miles pootling around under normal circumstances.

570nms and 62mpg Gotta love a I6 Cdi ;)

cdibmp.jpg

Thats due to resetting while on cruise control and only driving for 21mins. not a proper figure. I can get near that in my V8.

See the other screenshots for over an hour and report back.

Here's one from my trip back home from Benz on the Green in May. I could possibly have done better, but a) Got Bored and b) Found another AMG on the M40 to play with. :)

E63%20Mileage2.jpg

On another note, been out this morning and it was down to 10.2mpg, though only had an hour or so to play...

Thats due to resetting while on cruise control and only driving for 21mins. not a proper figure. I can get near that in my V8.

See the other screenshots for over an hour and report back.

NO That was resettng it at Idle before leaving the filling station, I actually drove it a further 10 miles and refilled Brim to brim and got 63.2mpg :thumb:

I always easy got 58mpg without trying, No need to report over a Hour either, I drove from Austria to the Hook, 600 miles in 9hrs 27mins @ ave speed of 65mph She produced 45mpg no fuel stops needed either.

Last edited:
Can I give mine from this morning on route to Coventry. It's the 1950 diesel. I'm not saying I prefer it to a V8 but I was still impressed. Included 14 miles of roadworks in Yorkshire, traffic jam at Leicester Forrest East and last 20 mins in queue on A46
My best to date.

Attachments

• image-2755124458.jpg
    image-2755124458.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 30
NO That was resettng it at Idle before leaving the filling station, I actually drove it a further 10 miles and refilled Brim to brim and got 63.2mpg :thumb:

I always easy got 58mpg without trying, No need to report over a Hour either, I drove from Austria to the Hook, 600 miles in 9hrs 27mins @ ave speed of 65mph She produced 45mpg no fuel stops needed either.

Thats not an accurate reading, here is a screenshot I managed after filling up in my old Diesel CLK by resetting it once I was on the move, almost identical to yours:

60mpg.jpg

With normal driving I just about managed 45mpg.

Of course its more accurate the longer you drive for.

Your right it wasnt accurate, it under read. like i said it actually achived 63.2

A few years ago I ran a diesel Passat for 6 months, I think it was good on fuel but it bored me too much to spend any extra time in it checking such things.

A few years ago I ran a diesel Passat for 6 months, I think it was good on fuel but it bored me too much to spend any extra time in it checking such things.

+1 I've had 2 passats. Do everything you want them to do. But do induce a coma like driving experience

Sent from my iPhone 7plus, which is exactly the same as the iPhone 3/4/5/6. Using Crapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom