Who owns a registration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Abb said:
I have to agree with the above post, I have tried in the past with the DVLA and have been unsuccessful. Not saying you couldnt, just my experience. Out of interest, what is the registration mark that you seek? May even belong to a forum member!

Guys thanks for the many replies, to be on the safe side I will just keep using the many cherished plates websites, who i think are just in for the quick buck but hey ho. I could spend hours on google street view but don't really have the time.

I am looking for L18 ONG or L20 ONG

I guess an add in auto trader etc may work?

Thanks again, I don't think I will try the dvla.

Pontoneer said:
No , I spotted a 'good' registration number on a car in a scrapyard . ( The number was two letters and a single digit - on a 1960's Mercedes ) . Wondering if there might be some way of obtaining this number , I filled out the enquiry form stating that the car was 'abandoned' . Instead of a reply from the DVLA , I ended up with the police at the door , wanting to know where the high value vehicle , to which the plate was now assigned , was . DVLA had contacted the registered keeper of the car to which the number was then assigned , and been told it was not missing or abandoned . I told them the truth and that was the end of the matter , but it was explained to me that had I made up any other story , in particular accusing anyone of anything , I could have been in serious trouble . So , I know first hand that it does not work to make up even what may seem like a harmless lie to obtain this information and that it can backfire on you . As I stated , that arose out of exactly what is being discussed on this thread and I would not advise anyone to try it .

Will be taking you advice for sure and not trying it. Thank you.

Guys thanks for the many replies, to be on the safe side I will just keep using the many cherished plates websites, who i think are just in for the quick buck but hey ho. I could spend hours on google street view but don't really have the time.

I am looking for L18 ONG or L20 ONG

I guess an add in auto trader etc may work?

Thanks again, I don't think I will try the dvla.

Using publically accessible data checks:

L18 ONG doesn't show as being on a car. This could suggest that it's just on a retention certificate - although data can take time to update
L20 ONG shows as being on a Silver Vauxhal Vivaro

From your username - I assume you have the 2009 Silver C200 CDI ;)

Hope this helps.

A-AvantGarde said:
Using publically accessible data checks: L18 ONG doesn't show as being on a car. This could suggest that it's just on a retention certificate - although data can take time to update L20 ONG shows as being on a Silver Vauxhal Vivaro From your username - I assume you have the 2009 Silver C200 CDI ;) Hope this helps.

Lol yes good guess. So L18 ONG maybe for sale somewhere?

I think an advert somewhere maybe an idea.

Thanks for that!

Lol yes good guess. So L18 ONG maybe for sale somewhere?

I think an advert somewhere maybe an idea.

Thanks for that!

Yes it could be, but like yourself they may also be looking for another one!

I've got a few number plates on retention. No harm trying a wanted ad but it won't be that easy to track down. Try searching all the registration dealer sites.

It may be worth phoning one of the plate dealers and chatting with them about your requirements , they may be able to track down what you are looking for , although they are obviously in business to make money .

It may be worth phoning one of the plate dealers and chatting with them about your requirements , they may be able to track down what you are looking for , although they are obviously in business to make money .

I found it for him :)

You can't and they won't .

As someone who has had the police at his door ( many years ago ) over exactly this , I am not on a high horse .

I do think , however , that it is not a good idea to advise others on such an unwise course of action when the penalties ( outlined on the form : a criminal conviction and £5000 fine ) are severe .

Or are those who advise others to do this willing to pay the fine for someone daft enough to take their advice ?

Thought not .

As someone who works in CG and deals with the agency (DVLA) on a daily basis, when I say you can. I mean you can and they will. You need to apply giving a reason, it can be one of many reasons, be creative and there is a small charge but you can.

No , I spotted a 'good' registration number on a car in a scrapyard . ( The number was two letters and a single digit - on a 1960's Mercedes ) .

Wondering if there might be some way of obtaining this number , I filled out the enquiry form stating that the car was 'abandoned' .

Instead of a reply from the DVLA , I ended up with the police at the door , wanting to know where the high value vehicle , to which the plate was now assigned , was . DVLA had contacted the registered keeper of the car to which the number was then assigned , and been told it was not missing or abandoned .

I told them the truth and that was the end of the matter , but it was explained to me that had I made up any other story , in particular accusing anyone of anything , I could have been in serious trouble .

So , I know first hand that it does not work to make up even what may seem like a harmless lie to obtain this information and that it can backfire on you .

As I stated , that arose out of exactly what is being discussed on this thread and I would not advise anyone to try it .

I am going to assume that was a long time ago as that is certainly not the case now. Or there was more to that reg than the police have said.

Last edited:
As someone who works in CG and deals with the agency (DVLA) on a daily basis

Maybe you can shed some light on the real reasons why they're so galactically p*ssing incompetent then? :thumb:

As someone who works in CG and deals with the agency (DVLA) on a daily basis, when I say you can. I mean you can and they will. You need to apply giving a reason, it can be one of many reasons, be creative and there is a small charge but you can.

I am going to assume that was a long time ago as that is certainly not the case now. Or there was more to that reg than the police have said.

Yes , I did state that it was 'many years ago' ; something like 30 years ago and before the Data Protection Act .

I have no idea what CG is , but do you realise the implications of what you are suggesting ?

Encourage someone to break the law by lying to obtain information under false pretences ( at least when I stated the car I saw in the scrapyard was abandoned , it was true - up to a point ) .

Now , imagine the OP obtains this information ( which should not happen as it is illegal ) and contacts the registered keeper .

The registered keeper could complain that his private details were divulged illegally and this is investigated : the OP could be charged for obtaining this information under false pretences , the poor sod who gave the information out could be disciplined , sacked or face charges re the DPA , and of course , the organisation responsible for the safekeeping of our private details could be charged and fined - that could either be DVLA or EDS .

Oh , and these sorts of things are tested for all the time : my partner for a time worked for the DWP , giving benefits advice out over the telephone - she received a call from a worker at another agency asking for information relating to a case , and pleading for her not to follow proceedure . Thankfully , she referred the call to her supervisor because it was a test . Someone else in the office who looked up the information was disciplined and sent on a training course .

And all because some people think little white lies don't matter .

Just waiting on reg transfers to get back to me.

I would just be honest with the dvla and tell them I wanted to buy it from them but under those circumstances I can't see them giving out the info.

Yes , I did state that it was 'many years ago' ; something like 30 years ago and before the Data Protection Act .

I have no idea what CG is , but do you realise the implications of what you are suggesting ?

Encourage someone to break the law by lying to obtain information under false pretences ( at least when I stated the car I saw in the scrapyard was abandoned , it was true - up to a point ) .

Now , imagine the OP obtains this information ( which should not happen as it is illegal ) and contacts the registered keeper .

The registered keeper could complain that his private details were divulged illegally and this is investigated : the OP could be charged for obtaining this information under false pretences , the poor sod who gave the information out could be disciplined , sacked or face charges re the DPA , and of course , the organisation responsible for the safekeeping of our private details could be charged and fined - that could either be DVLA or EDS .

Oh , and these sorts of things are tested for all the time : my partner for a time worked for the DWP , giving benefits advice out over the telephone - she received a call from a worker at another agency asking for information relating to a case , and pleading for her not to follow procedure . Thankfully , she referred the call to her supervisor because it was a test . Someone else in the office who looked up the information was disciplined and sent on a training course .

And all because some people think little white lies don't matter .

I think you need to read what I have said. I said use a creative reason as to why you needed the details. Pretty certain I never mentioned lying, white or any other kind :dk:

As for the rest of your post I could respond but it is friday afternoon and I am about ready to jump on the train home so i will leave it.

Lets just say I am happy I have not implicated myself in anything illegal, the man at the DVLA's job is safe so long as he follows his guidelines and so long as he has that there will be no breach of the DPA.

It really doesn't matter how you dress it up : if you don't have a genuine reason for requiring the details , any 'creative reasoning' you dream up amounts to lying , and the rest of what I said follows .

Have a nice weekend :)

'Creative requests' !

You mean LIES .

Giving something a fancy name does not change what it is .

'Creative requests' !

You mean LIES .

Giving something a fancy name does not change what it is .
I'll go back to my post 3 pages ago......

IF someone want's to obtain such information, they can.

Like it or not, that's the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom