Who owns a registration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see this is still going on .

To date , no one has cited a specific example of DVLA divulging registered keepers details without being supplied with a compelling reason to divulge them .

Wishing to buy a registration mark is NOT a good enough reason . Falsifying reasons for an enquiry is likely to result in criminal charges being brought if someone were to complain that their private details were released in this way .

Did the law not change within the last few years regarding the permissability of adding spurious text like this to the plate ?

About the same time that the requirement for BS approval marks came in ?

Thanks to Triv on another forum for posting this.

Personalised registration clarified « Sniff Petrol

Historically, acquiring a "cherished" plate was no mean feat. Without checking facts, upmarket dealerships used to try and provide high profile customers with interesting or appropriate registrations, which, I believe, is how Jimmy Tarbuck came about COM1C, at least, that is how he has told it. A clever sales gimmick, and it would certainly have made such personalised things more desirable.

Legislation meant it wasn't straightforward to transfer reg numbers, and for those who wanted such things, it could be quite a challenge to find/obtain/transfer them, unlike in the States, where you can pay a fee and make your own up to 7 characters, as long as it's not offensive and no-one else has it. Things have changed here now, and DVLA woke up to the commercial aspect a few years ago, so it's made things easier for those who want to play.

It harms no-one, so why are you so offensive about it, Neil? Don't bother answering, because I nonestly couldn't give a damn. However, when you start calling people - quote: “ghastly, small-cocked twatflap buying a plate that looks nothing like his ****ing name" - by proxy, you come across as being a childish pr1ck with a chip on his shoulder, which is a pity. Over a million hits on this forum for number plate spotting, so someone likes them!

OP, good luck with your search.

Last edited:
It harms no-one, so why are you so offensive about it, Neil? Don't bother answering, because I nonestly couldn't give a damn. However, when you start calling people - quote: “ghastly, small-cocked twatflap buying a plate that looks nothing like his ****ing name" - by proxy, you come across as being a childish pr1ck with a chip on his shoulder, which is a pity.

Do you see what you did there?

P.S. Would I be a million miles off the mark if I guessed you have such a plate?

Last edited:
Do you see what you did there?

P.S. Would I be a million miles off the mark if I guessed you have such a plate?

Found a way round the forum censor? A bit like number plates, really, so it must come naturally, and of course I have several! I don't, however, slag people off who make special trips to buy salami to satisfy their unhealthy tastes! Each to their own! :cool:

No. You committed the same crime you are accusing me of, just more directly & not by proxy.

I know, it's provocative, isn't it? ;)

I'm going to go with 'hypocritical'.

'Confused' if you prefer a less provocative answer.

I'm going to go with 'hypocritical'.

'Confused' if you prefer a less provocative answer.

. However, when you start calling people - quote: “ghastly, small-cocked twatflap buying a plate that looks nothing like his ****ing name" - by proxy, you come across as being a childish pr1ck with a chip on his shoulder, which is a pity. Over a million hits on this forum for number plate spotting, so someone likes them!

OP, good luck with your search.

There's the difference, in bold to clarify, not direct name calling (by proxy). It's how you present yourself , Neil. Your original unprovoked name calling, trolling, call it what you will, you got yourself a response, which is where I've had my final say, so no childish tit for tat.

Touched you last!

It harms no-one, so why are you so offensive about it, Neil? Don't bother answering, because I nonestly couldn't give a damn.

Sooooooooo....

I'm guessing you actually did give a damn.

I used to be able to turn around number plates with relative ease.

Since the Leverson inquiry however almost all sources for this type of thing have dried up. I'm sure I could get it if I really had to.. its just that it would be considerably harder and would likely cost me a fair bit.

To date , no one has cited a specific example of DVLA divulging registered keepers details without being supplied with a compelling reason to divulge them .
Ok i've taken my own bait.....

So, you have been given an example and the DVLA dedicate a page on their web site explaining how to obtain such information yet you are still unable to accept that it's possible?

I guess the only way to solve this is for you to post your reg number and then for someone to post your address as proof that it can be done?

Last edited:
The one example given so far was of a parking enforcement company requesting information regarding an alleged contravention - which is an entirely different type of request and perfectly lawful , also irrelevant to someone simply trying to find the registered keeper of a plate they fancy buying .

None of the valid reasons given on the website are applicable to someone with no connection to the vehicle being enquired about and simply curious about the keeper .

If someone wants to try getting my details from CSC678B I must warn them that I shall then make a formal complaint demanding to know why and how my details were divulged without valid reason for requiring them .

...If someone wants to try getting my details from CSC678B I must warn them that I shall then make a formal complaint demanding to know why and how my details were divulged without valid reason for requiring them .

The DVLA are only required to 'reasonably' protect your details, but they are not necessarily considered negligent if someone comitts fraud in an attempt to obtain your details.

As an example, if their procedures say that the applicant must sign a declaration and produce evidence, then it is not really reasonable to expect them to investigate each and every such declaration in advance or to verify that the documents produces are not forged.

Of course if there is a complaint then they might carry this out in retrospect, but again not having done so in advance and divulging your details to 3rd party does not necessarily make them negligent, ie as long as their own internal procedures were followed.

Yet another amazing thread on MBClub... 77 posts of nothing but conjecture and arguing.

Keep going Boys...

Indeed !

However , my my point , and my assertion all along , is that such details cannot be released without valid reason - if someone makes a false declaration on a legal document in order to fraudulently obtain these details then that person is guilty of a criminal offence and DVLA may also be found negligent if it is found that they failed to exercise reasonable diligence in processing the request .

The forms do ask for quite a lot of detail , such as police crime reference numbers , specific damage to vehicles , times and locations of incidents and the applicant does sign to state that these are true . Private individuals really ought not to be able to request this sort of information since cases of damage or theft could be routed through the police or insurance companies , and complaints about abandoned or obstructive vehicles could be dealt with by councils .

If the processing of such requests really is currently as lax as some on here would suggest , then it is time that it is tightened up . People's private and personal details ought to be closely protected ; your name and address is just as private as your bank details , medical records or any other data .

As I stated at the beginning , this service could easily be misused by those with criminal intent such as car thieves , stalkers or would be rapists : the information should never be divulged without clear and compelling reason .

The £5000 fine mentioned for abusing the system hardly goes far enough .

Oh, Gawd...!!

The only bit of CONSTRUCTIVE advice I can offer the O/p, is that if the registration L3 ONG isn't on a vehicle it may never have been issued. (though seems unlikely if later ones have been)
An enquiry to the DVLA Cherished Registration department will reveal any that are available to purchase...which is what Reg-Transfers will have done.

I would have contacted them FIRST, before making any thread on here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom