who used to work in The City but has since left?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My £30pw friend rents a flat, has no car at all yet is a great bloke who has seen far more of life than you or I have. (Take it on trust he really has!)

I'm curious about this ...

Presumably , he lives in an area where rents are low ? say £15 a week , £60 a month ? do these places exist ?

He lives / eats off the other £15 each week ? i couldn't even manage that when i was a student ( eating lentils and other dirt cheap things )

Not doubting for a minute that he is a great bloke , i know a few of the same , poorly paid , but really nice people , i just can't get my head round the figures ...

He could be earning more than 30 a week, that may be his "spending money".

Although not in banking, I developed banking/trading systems for a number of years in the late 80s & 90s. I hated the commute (even from Surrey) but thought the money made up for it. I moved into IT & business consultancy, which was just as bad - I spent 2 weeks a months out of the country and thre rest travelling/working in the UK.

I'd married in 1990, and Master E arrived in 1995 (I still haven't worked out quite how I managed to time to do that.....). The crunch came a couple of years later when a) I didn't realise Mrs E had decorated the lounge and b) when moaning that the lad still didn't sleep through the night at 2.5 years, She said that he was fine when I wasn't in the house.

I handed in my notice that week.

Found a position with my current employer where I've carved my own niche. I work on average 4 days per week at home, see the kids, spend time with my wife, and potter on the allotment. We downsized our house so that we could have a place in France to bolt to when needed. I earn about a third of what I used to, don't have the holidays in exotic faraway places, and eat out about once a month - but I can honestly say I've never been happier.

I loved the work, the people and the money - but I hated what it was doing to my life. I would never critisise people for working (or wanting to work) in such careers but it's very easy to lose sight of what is important in life, and difficult to have that big conversation when/if you decide that enough is enough.

A lot of ex city people leave the city having made a bundle, banked their bonuses paid off a couple of mortgages (usually) and accumulated enough wealth to either spend it or live off.

The ones that stay have become hopelessly addicted to the prestige / big balls that goes with it and rather like a drug cannot do without it. Its a vicious circle.

It also allows you time with family and frinds and what price that?!

A lot of ex city people leave the city having made a bundle, banked their bonuses paid off a couple of mortgages (usually) and accumulated enough wealth to either spend it or live off.

The ones that stay have become hopelessly addicted to the prestige / big balls that goes with it and rather like a drug cannot do without it. Its a vicious circle.

It also allows you time with family and frinds and what price that?!

Yep - seems to be the case with people who have worked in banking I guess. For probably 95%+ of city workers, chance would be a fine thing though. I "quit London" a few months ago after spending 7 years there from graduating. I worked for a big 4 consulting firm with all of the drawbacks (stress, long hours, etc) but very very mediocre pay indeed. Many professionals in such firms are in a similar position (accountants, lawyers, etc).

For me the last couple of years of "downturn" and practically no pay rises combined with working for an idiot boss in an unprofitable department for a few years meant that my salary was comparable or worse than many public sector workers in the regions in a similar technology type role. Except having to work in central London with all the expenses that entails as well as maybe 30% extra working hours.

Being only able to save a minimal amount each year after living costs I could not see a future there in the short term (having enough disposable cash and time to do things I wanted) or long term (if I wanted a family and to move out of my 1 bed flat I would pretty much need my salary to be trebled or more).

Have not regretted my decision at all so far - good riddance to the place!

Congratulations on your move clk208. I know at least one person who left the City but in his case not London. A more pleasant person/gentleman I have never met. If he still worked in the City I'm sure our paths would never have crossed.

And whats this, you have moved to Manchester (or returned North- Exactly where London people (well BBC bobs wont go) Me and mine were at Dukes 92 the other week. Looked like any London pub to me with amazing transport links to be seen. Metro, Canal and trains all zig zagging across the "patio" (massive) outside.

Peace my friend.

I don't think anybody gets to their death bed and thinks "Drat I wish I spent more time in the office"

Totally agree......few people wish they'd worked more in order to have more money, but I'm sure plenty regret not seeing their children grow up/spending time with partners/ missing important 'events' etc, whilst contemplating their life in it's final days.

Congratulations on your move clk208. I know at least one person who left the City but in his case not London. A more pleasant person/gentleman I have never met. If he still worked in the City I'm sure our paths would never have crossed.

And whats this, you have moved to Manchester (or returned North- Exactly where London people (well BBC bobs wont go) Me and mine were at Dukes 92 the other week. Looked like any London pub to me with amazing transport links to be seen. Metro, Canal and trains all zig zagging across the "patio" (massive) outside.

Peace my friend.

Cheers TJ. Yes, good to be back where I grew up, even if I am back taking up space at the folks place for a while.

As you point out - plenty of nice places to have a drink up here and not completely impossible to stumble home on public transport. Was invited to a free bbq at Dukes 92 a couple of weeks ago myself actually but couldn't make it, drat.

Might make an effort to get along to a NW GTG/curry night sometime soon. Be good to see some of the shiny MBs owned by fellow friendly northerners!

Come along do you would be very welcome. Maybe towards the end of the month out at The Dog in Over Peover. Ill put a post up a bit closer to the time.

CHEERS

Do remember chaps that there are plenty who love their jobs in the city.. some I know have good preject type roles which allows them to see the world and the hours arent normally too bad.
Some are in sales or trading and whilst they are in very early, they normally have the evenings with their family...
Most earn fantastic money and as they climb the ladder the work/life balance should get better too.

A lot also depends on the employer. Generalising the "city" isnt really fair.
I worked at JPMorgan and I dont think I knew anyone that thought that "the company" didnt look after them over their career.

Horses for courses.

Agreed to an extent for a couple of reasons which I will come to in a bit.

I work for a bank, not as high up or as high flying as the sort of roles being depicted here. More of a "back office" creature.

Its not without its stresses and strains. The managers are keen to push you to get as much work out of you as possible, naturally, and can think up some ungodly things like System testing from 10pm-4am at time x1.5, not for me, but a certainly level of pressure is put on staff. I'll resist it though. I won't go into the Ins and outs of a situation I faced recently, all I will say I was felt pressured into doing unpaid OT, but I did not bow to the pressure like my peers.

Since then I joined the union and got proper advice in how to deal with that sort of situation. They now leave me be, as I stood up for myself. Not being truculent, but standing up for myself, but the point is, I never should have been put in that position of having to explain why I was not willing to work beyond my prescribed hours, for nowt. And it was not my boss, someone higher up.

We do have a tough role, certainly for what it pays, not a bad pay, but not brilliant given you can get something easier that pays more (what I am in the process of doing). The managers and senior managers are married to their jobs and I don my cap to them, they really work so hard and give up a lot for their work, I wouldn't want that, even though they are well paid, I'd rather be less well off and have the time for me, and not be tired at the end of my working day.

An instance that happened to me. I was asked to run a particular project for the business area. Most "young people" would love this, it was a big oppertunity to demonstrate your worth. However, I still had all the stuff to do in my normal, busy but easily coped with day. I took it on, hated it, stressed out and could see it would lead me into the world of staying a bit late (naturally unpaid). I explained to my boss that I did not like it and if I were "told to do this sort of thing again, I'd do it, but if were asked, I would not bother". He got it taken away from me and lifted a massive burden from me, I might not see promotion and certainly have damaged my "prospects" but I do not care, I don't want it. I had not been happy in work for a while, and preferred doing certain tasks much more than others. I think where I feel Jays comments are valid, is where you have to pipe up and say what you want to do (I seem to like the more repetative donkey work that everyone hates) and what you don't want to do and state what you want. I stated "this is a job for me, not a career like it is for the others"

He has gone out of his way to make things fit for me. He explained the role I am in is not suited to someone "who wants to start at 12 and leave at 8 as flexability is required (basically a willingless to stay back and give up free time at short notice if required, I am not that person), but he is glad I explained what my needs were, and that he could by and large give me tasks to do that fit in with them, and long term move me to another department". We also discussed working hours, I do 36hrs/week over 5 days. I want to do 36hours over 4 days and a longer day for more days out of work. The role I am in does not support that, but they'll try and get me into something that does.

The company wanted to "develop" my career, I don't want to "develop" it. I want work that I can come in, do to the best of my ability, and leave. I don't want a job that I have to think about when I am away from it, and my work place, which shall remain nameless, has been able to look after me and support me so far with it. The man has gone out of his way to make things better for me, really has done a lot for me, to give me a chance of a better work life and hence personal life. He said, I don't want you to be unhappy here, and in the situation where you are looking to actively leave here. Long term, its not for me, but he can get me moved into an environment thats suitable.

Now, I am happy at work, not stressed, got enough to do to get me through my day, I don't feel pushed or challenged in what I need to do, I can just do it, and live the life I have to the fullest, which I am doing.

Naturally, I won't progress as far as the others, but I'll be happier as a person, with time for the people who matter (my mother for example does not keep to well following a car accident with a bad back as it was), with great friends and family behind me, and enough to get by, why would I want or need more money and a harder work life.

But then again, some people are more naturally driven than me. Given this is a Mercedes forum, there will a level of high achievement on here, and good on those that have the drive, ambition and determination that I do not have. We need some chiefs, but we also need Indians like me.

Last edited:
Naturally, I won't progress as far as the others, but I'll be happier as a person, with time for the people who matter (my mother for example does not keep to well following a car accident with a bad back as it was), with great friends and family behind me, and enough to get by, why would I want or need more money and a harder work life.

The danger of that, especially in the field you work in, is that you stand to be replaced by somebody who has got the driven attitude they want.

Unfortunately, you know what you want and they know what they want. Very often two different things and no company likes to pay 'appearance money'.

I do admire your honesty about what YOU want. That is a totally vital credential to living your life the way you want to.

Rock on steve, just don't hope to go anywhere fast (anywhere) with out changing jobs!

The danger of that, especially in the field you work in, is that you stand to be replaced by somebody who has got the driven attitude they want.

Unfortunately, you know what you want and they know what they want. Very often two different things and no company likes to pay 'appearance money'.

Very true, but if I am axed, I'll get another job. They also need someone like me, who is willing to do the more lets say "tedious tasks". I love them, others want "more variety". They need a "plodder" and they have a good loyal one who will do that. Plus they've invested in training me, and I give a lot of help and support to others, so I am far completely indispensable, otherwise, they'd have got rid of me by now. However, I am not arrogant enough to assume that I am irreplaceable, which is why I do my best to do good work when I am there.

Redundancies in that company, don't seem likely, but if it is heads that roll, it may well be mine. However I'll take the chance and remain as me, seek out the tasks I like to do (I volunteer for work others don't like), and live a life I am happy with, rather than be someone I am not, and be unhappy in the off chance that when redundancies happen, they may keep me.

I do admire your honesty about what YOU want. That is a totally vital credential to living your life the way you want to.

Its taken me a long time to figure it out, to be honest when I moved there I thought I was more of a go getter, career type, and have learned so much about what I like, what I don't like, what matters to me, what is not so important and finally realise what I want out of work (something I can do with minimal stress and with the expertise I have without busting a gut) so I can live a nicer more fulfilling personal life. I'm seeing so many people give up personal time, for a job, and its just not me.

That might make me a big fat loser, but I'm not bothered.

Rock on steve, just don't hope to go anywhere fast (anywhere) with out changing jobs!

You and I have had chats at meets re this. I sense you are more driven than me, fair play. I'm thinking about a complete change of direction over the next 5 years but meanwhile, they've done so much to make things better for me, and give me a job that I can come in, do, and do well at, without any hassle, that I may well be happy re work, the way I was before I moved there.

Personal life wise, I've got a great family, great friends and enough time and money to live a life I am happy with, I just wanted work to be a little easier on me, and they've gone and done that. Long may it continue.

Very true, but if I am axed, I'll get another job. They also need someone like me, who is willing to do the more lets say "tedious tasks". I love them, others want "more variety". They need a "plodder" and they have a good loyal one who will do that. Plus they've invested in training me, and I give a lot of help and support to others, so I am far completely indispensable, otherwise, they'd have got rid of me by now. However, I am not arrogant enough to assume that I am irreplaceable, which is why I do my best to do good work when I am there.

Redundancies in that company, don't seem likely, but if it is heads that roll, it may well be mine. However I'll take the chance and remain as me, seek out the tasks I like to do (I volunteer for work others don't like), and live a life I am happy with, rather than be someone I am not, and be unhappy in the off chance that when redundancies happen, they may keep me.

Its taken me a long time to figure it out, to be honest when I moved there I thought I was more of a go getter, career type, and have learned so much about what I like, what I don't like, what matters to me, what is not so important and finally realise what I want out of work (something I can do with minimal stress and with the expertise I have without busting a gut) so I can live a nicer more fulfilling personal life. I'm seeing so many people give up personal time, for a job, and its just not me.

That might make me a big fat loser, but I'm not bothered.

Your boss should be sacked for not knowing his employee.

If he offered you food (esp curry) as an incentive, you'd be running the whole ship 24/7 by now. :p

Your boss should be sacked for not knowing his employee.

I am quite a gentle natured beast, and before there was a big change, I plodded along nicely and took it on myself to run certain spreadsheets and undertake a particular task. Because a) I knew how to do it b) it was something that you just did, (once you knew how). There were no hidden suprises. Maybe he didn't realise the sort of work I sniffed out, and the sort of work I shyed away from (more complex work, project sort of things). I like normal business as usual stuff, the others seemed keen to do project style tasks.

If he offered you food (esp curry) as an incentive, you'd be running the whole ship 24/7 by now. :p

There is a new manager who looks after another team, I am doing some work for her as well, and she brings me food for just doing what I am told to do, but I am working hard at it, as they do show their appreciation for the work I am doing, even though its the sort of work I am happy doing.

I am quite a gentle natured beast, and before there was a big change, I plodded along nicely and took it on myself to run certain spreadsheets and undertake a particular task. Because a) I knew how to do it b) it was something that you just did, (once you knew how). There were no hidden suprises. Maybe he didn't realise the sort of work I sniffed out, and the sort of work I shyed away from (more complex work, project sort of things). I like normal business as usual stuff, the others seemed keen to do project style tasks.

There is a new manager who looks after another team, I am doing some work for her as well, and she brings me food for just doing what I am told to do, but I am working hard at it, as they do show their appreciation for the work I am doing, even though its the sort of work I am happy doing.

Didn't you once get a ticking off for eating ALL of the office sweets/chocolates? :D

I suppose it boils down to each individual. If you are happy, then that's all that matters, Steve.

I think we've all seen people push themselves into a very unhealthy state and then comes that moment when everything crashes.

I recall an interview with the guy from the wildlife rescue TV series. He worked in the city and was highly paid and highly pressured. One day, he picked up his coat and left the office for good. I'm sure he made enough cash to live on for the rest of his life, but now works free of charge rescuing wildlife and wonders why he didn't do it sooner.

Didn't you once get a ticking off for eating ALL of the office sweets/chocolates? :D

I suppose it boils down to each individual. If you are happy, then that's all that matters, Steve.

I think we've all seen people push themselves into a very unhealthy state and then comes that moment when everything crashes.

I recall an interview with the guy from the wildlife rescue TV series. He worked in the city and was highly paid and highly pressured. One day, he picked up his coat and left the office for good. I'm sure he made enough cash to live on for the rest of his life, but now works free of charge rescuing wildlife and wonders why he didn't do it sooner.

I must admit, I work in it because its relatively convienient to do so. Not for any love or passion about finance.

I was told off for eating all the food, which I thought was unfair, if food is about, who are they to say who can eat what....

Too much thought about work. I've just been paid and need to get the car sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom