who used to work in The City but has since left?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I worked in M&A for one of the leading M&A boutiques from 2003 to 2010. I resigned because I just needed a change for a bit - now on the approach to 2 years of consulting and running my own small ventures I feel ready to go back in.

Sometimes you just need a recharge that a 5 day holiday (the longest i took in nearly 8 years) cannot give you.

I started work for a major bank in 1997, and visits to London were a one/twice a week thing. From 2000 to 2005 it was every day although I'd usually have to be somewhere else or at home for one day a week which made it possible. Throughout I was travelling in from home every day (I live North of Birmingham).

A number of things came together in July 2005 which made getting out the right thing to do:

1. Office move from the 'old' city to the 'new' (Canary Wharf) adding 30-45 minutes to my journey.

2. Offer of promotion but a new boss who was up front that she mandated, every day in the office from 0900 to 1700. Not really motivational leadership!

3. I left home around 0445 and arrived home anywhere between 1930 and 2330 and so misse out on so much of Jnr D's first couple of years.

4. Mulling over that promotion and working from home on 07/07 and the scenes on TV made me question why I was doing it all.

Decision made there and then. Declined promotion, started my notice period and took 6 months off with Mrs & Jnr D. In real terms it cost a fortune as we decided to really enjoy that time (despite having no other income), but I valued it much more highly than the cost.

I got a job closer to home. Less money, but fair. Initially less pressure, but that's changed ;) , but it's a great place to work. I still do whatever is required to get the job done - probably too much - but the balance is close to being right.

I was approached for another London-based role - 75% in London and 25% elsewhere in the world - and whilst excited by the thought of it, it was still an easy decision to say "not for me thanks, no right now anyway".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom