Who uses ‘V-Power Diesel’....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not the most scientific test, but:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My car is on 155K miles and I've only ever used Shell V-Power in the 2.5 years / ~30,000 miles.

Not the most scientific test, but:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My car is on 155K miles and I've only ever used Shell V-Power in the 2.5 years / ~30,000 miles.

Thanks.

It's a bit misleading, though.

They mention both having 'more cetane' which helps the combustion process, and having detergents that clean the injectors. But they do not offer an explanation as to which of the two is responsible for the ~4% increase in bhp when running on premium fuel.

The latter (injectors cleaning) isn't straightforward, because it won't produce a power increase in new engines, or in engines that have always run on premium fuel.

Ultimately, cleaning can only restore the engine back to the manufacturer's specs, but not more than that.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I just wanted to put my side forward regarding my car not liking “v-power” diesel. Every single time I have used it, I have got noticeably less miles per tank. That and being more expensive to buy means I won’t use it any more. It’s a no brainer for me.
every engine is different though, and I imagine in most cases it is better.
V-power PETROL on the other hand, improves power and economy on our other cars without doubt and it is the only petrol we use if we can.
So sorry to drop in the 2-stroke oil bit, I see it really divides opinion. Each to their own.

I have had my 2016 E350 S212 from new and have always used premium diesel from new where I can not for any power boost but for the extra cleanses in the fuel.

I have no idea if there is any difference in the way the car runs because I have not used standard fuels, the 3.0 litre V6 though is a peach of an engine.

Robin

Thanks.

It's a bit misleading, though.

They mention both having 'more cetane' which helps the combustion process, and having detergents that clean the injectors. But they do not offer an explanation as to which of the two is responsible for the ~4% increase in bhp when running on premium fuel.

The latter (injectors cleaning) isn't straightforward, because it won't produce a power increase in new engines, or in engines that have always run on premium fuel.

Ultimately, cleaning can only restore the engine back to the manufacturer's specs, but not more than that.
True.

Plus it takes a while to clean up deposits which makes it harder to be sure that any measurements used to determine benefits of clean up are doing just that, and not simply down to repeatability and reproducability of the test method.

In addition, engine torque/power from a diesel engine is much more strongly correlated with fuel density than for cetane number (which is more strongly linked with ignition delay and combustion noise). So if they didn’t measure fuel density…

I use V power if i can. Not tried the Merc on cheap stuff yet for a back to back but my old 330d would do maybe 80 miles more on a tank of Vpower compared to normal stuff + it smoked less. Run to work is 96 miles of which 80 miles is all motorway. I used to struggle to get 520 out of it but on V it would do 600 (& yes i could only compare the clear run days)regularly. Hurts at the pumps but for certain cars its worth a try. Imho.

True.

Plus it takes a while to clean up deposits which makes it harder to be sure that any measurements used to determine benefits of clean up are doing just that, and not simply down to repeatability and reproducability of the test method.

In addition, engine torque/power from a diesel engine is much more strongly correlated with fuel density than for cetane number (which is more strongly linked with ignition delay and combustion noise). So if they didn’t measure fuel density…

I think that there's no real disagreement over the long term benefits of using detergents in fuel, be it via premium fuels ot via fuel additives.

The part that is under debate is whether premium fuels have additional benefits apart from the cleaning effect.

For this end, it would be interesting to test brand new engines with both standard and premium fuels, perhaps in a range of engine types, e.g. small N/A engines, large high-boost engines, etc.

The point being, again, that the best detergents can only ever bring back the engine to its original 'as new' spec, but it will take a 'better fuel' to exceed it.

I don’t think even Shell claim that V-power diesel is doing anything more than cleaning/keeping clean, helping the car try to maintain its potential.

That’s why I use it anyway, especially on a higher mileage car that has only been in my ownership for 20-25% of its life.

I’ve never seen any smoke from my car and it regens perfectly and I’d like to keep it that way!

I don’t think even Shell claim that V-power diesel is doing anything more than cleaning/keeping clean, helping the car try to maintain its potential.

That’s why I use it anyway, especially on a higher mileage car that has only been in my ownership for 20-25% of its life

Agreed. As I pointed-out before, I have no interest in 'go faster' fuel, only in the cleaning effect, but it would be interesting to know what other benefits (if any) premium fuels have. And the answer might not be the same for Diesel premium fuel and for premium petrol.

Higher Cetane and the diesel fuel molecules are burnt more completely through less combustion delay producing less soot , less soot in egr gasses , inlet keeps cleaner .

Sadly no Cetane number disclosed at the pumps .

I think that there's no real disagreement over the long term benefits of using detergents in fuel, be it via premium fuels ot via fuel additives.

The part that is under debate is whether premium fuels have additional benefits apart from the cleaning effect.

For this end, it would be interesting to test brand new engines with both standard and premium fuels, perhaps in a range of engine types, e.g. small N/A engines, large high-boost engines, etc.

The point being, again, that the best detergents can only ever bring back the engine to its original 'as new' spec, but it will take a 'better fuel' to exceed it.
I think you’ll find that the tests you’re proposing are (have to be) carried out by the major oil companies already as a basis claims they make for the fuel products they produce.

I think you’ll find that the tests you’re proposing are (have to be) carried out by the major oil companies already as a basis claims they make for the fuel products they produce.
I use millers eco additive which raises cetane +4 seems a tad smoother

Which contains 2-EHN as is what is possibly added to premium derv in a higher quantity than standard .

Dilution rate is high so this to me is 125 tanks @ less than 30p a tank .

Why people use premium diesel is beyond my comprehension .

Which contains 2-EHN as is what is possibly added to premium derv in a higher quantity than standard. Dilution rate is high so this to me is 125 tanks @ less than 30p a tank .

Why people use premium diesel is beyond my comprehension .

Why? Personally it's because I exhausted the topic by the time I turned 13:

s-l400.jpg

This is it , it's even easier .

Mixing hazardous chemicals at home to save a fiver at the pumps... hmmm.... no thank you. Good Luck with your enterprise.

You are correct Sir

hero_nuclear_blast.jpg

heres-a-bunch-of-mannequins-being-blown-up-by-fir-2-23469-1436048392-4_dblbig.jpg

Is it a fiver difference ?

I haven't any reference to premium prices .

My supermarket derv is 127.7p + 30p for the napalm .

And premium diesel / V Power is ?

I do love the smell of napalm in the morning..

About 60ml usually to 43l of fuel. Tried that cetane booster but I couldn’t tell any difference and it smelt awful, so didn’t want to deal with it again. Stuff I tried was NBS-LAKI I believe, normally used for boosting cetane numbers in home brew bio-fuel. It smells like rotten fish.

Not enough 2 Stroke .

Screenshot_20210617-162201_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom