Who would you pick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I was reading an interesting page in “Rolling Stone” published in 2015 listing the 100 Greatest guitarists and thought it might be fun to see what people here think the best 10 guitarists might be.
(rolling stone link removed as only 5 clips allows)

Some mighty strange picks there if they are supposed to be in order.
I've also added another few more I like and a few who I think are properly over rated.
I haven't included any c&w (hate it) or classical guitarists.Nor have I included any pre 1960's guitarists. I haven't heard enough of their work to include them.

The first 3 are in order and I've added a couple of clips of their best work recorded live, not in a studio. For me, live is the proper way to judge a performance, not edited and worked on by an engineer to get the best results.

Anyway, here's my pick. Let's see yours.

1. Gary Moore. An easy choice as I believe he has no rival as the best. If you can listen to the first clip to the end you'll see why.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2 David Gilmour. Close, but not quite. So many great solos but just two below.

3 Mark Knopfler. Just amazing live.

Only 5 media clips allowed.
Check out Dire Straits live "Sultans of Swing"

4 to 10 in no particular order.
Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac first band)
Jimmy Page
Prince
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satriani
Brian May

A few outside the top 10
Mick Ronson (David Bowie back up band)
Rory Gallagher
Angus Young (AC/DC)
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
Joe Bonamassa
Jeff Lynne (ELO)
Steve Vai
Jeff Beck
Phil Manzanera (Pink Floyd/Roxy Music)

Over rated?

Eric Clapton
Keith Richard
Pete Townshend

Who have you got?:cool:

Great selection there;
Depending on my mood, I'd probably add Carlos Santana and Jeff Healey but most definitely Chris Rea

I’m torn on Clapton. Certainly his stuff with Cream was exceptional. Like Crossroads at the winterland concert 1968. He admitted he changed his style in the 70’s and focussed less on solos.

Clapton crossroads

Although I’m a big Zeppelin fan, Jimmy Page I find is not as accurate as Clapton. I love his playing but it’s quite often not that precise if you listen closely.

Stephen Stills I think is hugely underrated, his work with Crosby, Stills and Nash (and Young) is really quite special.

Allan Holdsworth should appear on any list I think;

Allan Holdsworth

And his replacement John Etheridge is also outstanding.

John Etheridge

You have to let this one run a bit before the guitar really comes to the fore.

More Etheridge

No sure where this one would be , and probably not the best but it was possibly one of the first guitar solos I paid any real attention to at the time.

Playing guitar solo with this band is like trying to grow a Watermelon in Easter hay . (yes thats the full title !)

Imaginary guitar solo

Frank Zappa . From the 1979 album 'Joe's garage acts 1 , 2 and 3'

Some good picks already that are amongst my favourites. Three more, more jazz-biased (in no particular order):
  • George Benson - Due to his disco-era / pop output, often thought of as a vocalist but actually an extremely accomplished guitarist
  • Larry Carlton - Most will have heard his works (with Steely Dan, Quincy Jones, Linda Ronstadt, etc., etc.) without ever knowing who was responsible. His solo work is worth seeking out and he's a great award-winning composer, too
  • Earl Klugh - The note shapes and emotion he can get from an acoustic guitar are astonishing

Steve Hackett (ex-Genesis)
Steve Rothery (Marillion & his own band)
Andy Latimer (Camel)
Peter Jones - a most amazing guitarist, musician and singer - who plays the guitar horizontally and best of all he is blind!
He plays in many groups and solo Tiger Moth Tales, Magenta & Camel - amongst others!

I’d throw Glenn Campbell into the mix. Although he’s possibly a bit country and western he used to play for the Beach Boys who are definitely not c&w, and he plays with great humour. Technically excellent in my view.

as an example.

Doyle Dykes.......I saw him play live in a music store in Mansfield about 20 years ago, when he was the official demonstrator for Taylor guitars - just outstanding as a player. He's also been a demonstrator/ambassador for Guild and Ovation. Doyle was the picker chosen to play at Chet Atkins' funeral - not a gig that would be offered to just anyone.

AFL can play a bit, too. I'm looking forward to seeing him perform again next month in sunny Morecambe. I notice he's replaced bassist Dave Bronze (ex Clapton) with Ian Jennings (ex Jeff Beck). Not a bad swap!

Here's his top 10

AFL can play a bit, too. I'm looking forward to seeing him perform again next month in sunny Morecambe. I notice he's replaced bassist Dave Bronze (ex Clapton) with Ian Jennings (ex Jeff Beck). Not a bad swap!

Here's his top 10

When I was a teenager many years ago my guitar tutor had a real personal beef with AFL. Not sure what it was, jealousy, missed opportunities dunno. But he was a seriously bitter man ! Wasn't much kop as a tutor either !

There are just so many aren't there? Just 5?

Probably floating to the top of my very own personal list would be:
  • Eric Clapton
  • Mark Knopfler
  • Steve Hackett
  • John Mayer
  • Steve Howe (Yes!)
I'm off to see Hackett at Friars Aylesbury on Tuesday :cool:

+1 for AFL, seen him live many times. Anyone who for years was Clapton’s lead guitarist can’t be bad! But I’m sorry to hear Dave Bronze is no longer with him, I rated him both as bassist and backing vocalist.

A real left-field suggestion is Josh Turner (you-tube under Joshua Lee Turner to avoid confusion with similar). Or for that matter Toni Lindgren, another you-tuber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom